12.1-YOG7DAS2K1 battery drain fix

1. Elastico
    Gingerbread Jan 15, 2016

Elastico , Jan 15, 2016 :
    You sir have an excellent point. I'm sick and tired of oneplus and always having to fix or tweak something. I have had my OPO for 1.5 years and it's been the same bs after every update.

2. Slyther1
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 16, 2016

Slyther1 , Jan 16, 2016 :
    Perhaps incrementals should be tested more before being OK'd, then? Perhaps people don't want to wipe clean their phones every time an update comes along? There's people other than power users who own these devices, you know? Let's not continue the "Android master race or GTFO to Apple" circlejerk.

3. Sonnyzyap
    Donut Jan 17, 2016

Sonnyzyap , Jan 17, 2016 :
    How do I shut down and clear cache while rebooting? Does it affects my apps if I clear cache? The battery draining issue is quite serious to me, from 100% > 79% after a sleep in airplane mode. I repeat, in airplane mode.

ultimusrex likes this.
  4. spavan1979
    Gingerbread Jan 17, 2016

spavan1979 , Jan 17, 2016 :
    after shutdown, you need to press volume down + power buttons simultaneously. this will bring boot menu. touch on wipe cache to clear cache. and then restart.

ultimusrex and Kogami like this.
  5. Sonnyzyap
    Donut Jan 17, 2016

Sonnyzyap , Jan 17, 2016 :
    What happens after i wipe cache? Will the progress of my apps vanish?

6. markdeman
    Froyo Jan 17, 2016

7. Kogami
    Froyo Jan 17, 2016

Kogami , Jan 17, 2016 :
    Thank you, came to the forum to find a fix and you're the only one with genuinely advice :) I'll try this tonight.

8. mag2000
    Cupcake Jan 18, 2016

mag2000 , Jan 18, 2016 :
    POSSIBLE FIX FOUND - NO WIPE NEEDED

I experienced the same heavy battery drain issue after upgrading to the latest YOG7DAS2K1 update and wasn't happy to read of the full wipe needed to fix the problem.
    So I went through every single menu in the settings to see if I'd notice anything interesting. Here are my results:

Settings Menu
    First, scroll all the way down to "About the phone" ("Über das Telefon" in German) and activate the advanced mode (erweiterter Modus in German).
    Then go back to the settings menu and start from the top:

Wireless & Networks (Drahtlos & Netzwerke)

WLAN
    -
    Saved Networks --> delete the ones you don't need anymore
    - Advanced Settings --> make sure you have only selected what's really needed, some of these have quite an impact on battery life

Mobile Networks (Mobilfunknetze)
    - Access Points (APNs) --> 3 dots --> if you have special settings you know of, don't click "reset to standards". If you never changed anything here, click reset

Device (Gerät)

Display & LED
    - LiveDisplay --> under "advanced", activate reduce battery use (or something along these lines, it's "Akkuverbrauch reduzieren" in German)

Display Lock (Bildschirmsperre)
    - Trust Agents --> turn off what you don't need. For some reason, "Smart Lock" was activated for me even though I was sure I had it deactivated before the upgrade

Privacy (Datenschutz)
    --> CyanogenMod statistics --> disable! For some reason, this was enabled for me after upgrade!

Gestures (Gesten)
    --> turn off what you never use

Battery (Akku)
    - battery mode --> tap "balanced" again even if it's already selected, just to make sure it's definitely activated (who knows where all the bugs hide, in the end it says it's activated but it really isn't)
    - go to the 3 dots --> tap "reset statistics" to check after all these steps what's using battery most or if it's been okay

Safety (Sicherheit)
    - scroll all the way down to the last option, called something like "Apps with access to usage data" ("Apps mit Nutzungsdatenzugriff" in German) --> deselect everything you don't want, which is probably everything
    -----> this was the weirdest thing I noticed, "CyanogenStats" and "Google Play Store" were activated for me even though I was 100% sure I had everything disabled before the upgrade

User (Nutzer)

Apps
    - make sure you deactivate all apps you never used! For example all internal browsers if you use Opera; Cloud print; Google Books/Films/Kiosk/+; Hangouts; News & Weather

This has massively helped me improve battery life without wiping cache or anything! I'd say I'm almost back to normal now. I'm confident the steps I wrote in bold were the most significant because they showed up in the battery usage statistics as "mobile network standby" (Mobilfunk-Standby) and "Android-System" with pretty high numbers. They are still there, but considerably lower.
    Over night battery drain is back to ~5% for me from ~15% right after upgrade.

9. saf
    Honeycomb Jan 20, 2016

saf , Jan 20, 2016 :
    Sorry dude, but this is the biggest bxxxxxxt I heard today, no this month! No, for the last 12 months, heck! for the decade! Do you own one of these cars, or actually you are writing this based on some fake-MTV-show like "Pimp my... whatever" you saw when you was a kid? Actually, do you own a valid driver license? Do you fine tune your carburettor?? I mean, you know what it is, right? and you know that newer cars has something like electronic controlled fuel injection, and that despite needing an OBD I/II, you also need the right software to tune it, right? Or you do chip-tuning, but you need to open the "big-scary-black-box" where it is, so you can change it, right? on a million EUR/US$ car? Risking your warranty, right? And braking some laws?

"tweak a Lamborghini", oh, I know now! I got it! It is a joke! you are being sarcastic! You are great dude!

I read your posts before this and the point is this: Whatever we (consumers) buy (vacuum cleaners, refrigerators, cars or mobiles), should work as it was said it should (clean, freeze, ride/drive, make phone calls/internet access) when we got them.
    If with following, subsequently updates, the things get worst, then the original claim (in this case with one plus one claiming that "3.000 is more than enough for a day of heavy usage") is no longer valid and the manufacturer (Electrolux, GE, VW, One Plus/Apple) must act to keep it.
    Of course, with more function, power, whatsoever, battery tend to drain more, battery also get older (I still believe OP uses really crappy batteries on their phones - remember, low cost), in most cases the user will accept it.
    What we do not accept is that we are the ones to be blamed on, we need to search for solutions. Of course, due to its nature (it is Linux, remember?), Android is a playground for people willing to DIY, but nevertheless this is made on a free, "volunteer" manner, and many accept it and are happy with that.

The truth is that most people that buy phones have no idea how they work (not how to use them, this they do) and just wish it to do what it was meant to do in the way the manufacturer told them.

Please respect the others if they are not so technically savvy like you.

jstepa likes this.
  10. smitbhagat
    Honeycomb Jan 20, 2016

11. ultimusrex
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 20, 2016

ultimusrex , Jan 20, 2016 :
    @shokk, your car analogy is way off base. The fact is, Android smartphones are little personal computers that we carry around in our pockets. If you buy a laptop or desktop computer and don't want to spend any money on maintenance/clean-up/repair (hardware or software), you need to be proficient enough to understand (or research and learn) some of the basic functionality of that computer and the technologies built into it. Unfortunately, for the technically-unsavvy, phones have come a long way from the simple flip phones with very basic hardware and simplistic, minimal software. They now essentially have all the same parts of a full-fledged personal computer, they have powerful, power-hungry hardware with a LOT more opportunities for failure, and complex, interconnecting/interdependent software... Gone are the days of rolling out a quick, simple update that will behave exactly the same on every identical device. Now we have big complicated software rollouts that affect every phone slightly differently, based on the myriad settings, hundreds of varied apps, and any other modifications someone may have made to their little pocket computer. So users of said devices now need to be savvy enough to dig around a bit and try to optimize their system, just like they are expected to do on their desktop/laptop computers. Unless, of course, they would rather just pay someone to fix the issues for them. Unfortunately, I don't know how much business is out there offering to fix/optimize people's smartphones, probably because they are so personal and we can't stand to be without them for the few hours it may take to track down the issues and figure out a solution.

A car, on the other hand, needs to work 100%, 100% of the time, for safety reasons. We are beginning to straddle the line between the balance of safety and cool features/technology now, with some cars having more advanced computer entertainment/nav/info systems. But we can only go so far, before it begins distracting the driver, at least until we have fully automated, driverless cars.

Robert Powers likes this.
  12. ultimusrex
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 20, 2016

ultimusrex , Jan 20, 2016 :
    This is some fantastic info! Thank you very much for posting this.

13. Deactivated User
    Jan 20, 2016

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2016

ultimusrex likes this.
  14. saf
    Honeycomb Jan 21, 2016

saf , Jan 21, 2016 :
    So, someone is afraid of using the 4 forbidden letters?

I have no idea? OK. Tell me, very honestly, if you know what a carburettor is. Without using Wikipedia.

Tell me, how many different Smartphone OS do you know? Or used? Did you ever repaired, hardware of a smartphone?

OK, maybe I am 12, my "girlfriend" will get into jail because she is dating a child (who by the way has enough money to buy the phone, and accessories, and pay for the bills, both mine and hers).

So, if you think you are offending me telling me I am 12, go get your 2 university diplomas, speak 3 languages, get a senior position on an international technology company, travel the whole world, raise your own children by your own means, then your can talk to me eye level and try to tend to offend me.

By the way, I did read your own stuff, I not afraid of the truth.

Robert Powers and jstepa like this.
  15. saf
    Honeycomb Jan 21, 2016

saf , Jan 21, 2016 :
    Jesus Christ! It is a Kitkat level! Why am I doing this? 546.764? I am off.

Robert Powers and jstepa like this.
  16. chronocommando
    Eclair Jan 21, 2016

17. Eeroz
    Honeycomb Jan 21, 2016

Eeroz , Jan 21, 2016 :
    Yes, let's turn it into a feature phone.

18. chronocommando
    Eclair Jan 21, 2016

19. aheuser
    Froyo Jan 21, 2016

aheuser , Jan 21, 2016 :
    Coming from Oxygen 1.02, I did a complete erase and re-format in fastboot, followed by a fresh install of CM12.1 (not COS12.1 with all of the Google adware) with the nano gapps, and have no battery drain. So far all is running well.

20. joaopedreno
    Cupcake Feb 13, 2016

joaopedreno , Feb 13, 2016 :
    Can tou please point me to a Step by Step tutorial on how to do this. I'm new to that flash thing. Thanks a lot