[2] Big issue with roaming data

1. sebgueb Cupcake Oct 15, 2015

sebgueb, Oct 15, 2015 :
    Yes , I'm experiencing the same issue and have no idea on how to stop this.

2. byronm06 Cupcake Oct 15, 2015

sebgueb likes this.
  3. JPA380 Eclair Oct 23, 2015

JPA380, Oct 23, 2015 :
    Hello
    I have the same issue.
    I did open A ticket with OP team, you will find below our mail exchanges. To read from bottom to top
    I will post again when they answer me.

oct 22
    After my travel to New York i have some News.
    First to let you know i am now under Oxygen 2.1.1
    I did folow your instructions below and perfor a hard reset of my OPT.
    Befor leaving France to New York i did Turn off Roaming
    Arriving in USA i cheked the settings Roaming was still Off.
    After few hours i could notice that my OPT was using data :-(
    I had to turn it off to avoid hight costs.
    I then dicided to look for all posible settings and finaly found something i want to share with you.
    On the main quick setting screen if you do a long tape on the GSM AT&T icon
    This will bring you to an Other setting page witch is not accessible from général settings
    On the top of this page is a switch button that is naturaly position is ON. Even if the Roaming button in the main settings is Off. Switching this button position OFF do definetly stop all data usage during my stay in USA.
    On my point this is A issue because When i use the roaming switch in main settings to OFF i expert no data to be used in an Other country.
    Hope this can help you to fixed this in the futur.
    Do not hesitate if i can help somehow
    I Will fly Again to New york next month

Oct 10, 06:36
    Thank you for reaching us .
    This is May from OnePlus Support Team. I'll be handling your ticket and I'll be more than happy to assist you with your concern. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience . We can assure you that your case will be taken cared of.
    Here is the instruction how to perform Hard Reset on your OnePlus 2.
    Turn off the phone completely.
    Press and hold the volume down and Power button.
    Select English
    Select Wipe data and cache "Wipe data and cache" (yes - done)
    Select Wipe data and cache then "Wipe data" (yes-done) 6.Select Wipe data and cache then "Wipe cache" (yes-reboot).
    After doing all the step, please let us know if it will fix the issue, otherwise will proceed to the next possible solution. Your cooperation is much appreciated. Thank you.

Oct 5, 22:05
    Since i open this ticket, my OPT updated to Oxygen 2.1.0.
    I am returning to New York on the 17th october, i will be very careful at the data Roaming.
    If it can be helpfull for your team i am ok to make tests in order to help you on this question.
    I did think back and i am prety sure that this data roaming occurs in this case :
    1 Hotel room with : wifi on using hotel network + AT&T connected no data + Roaming Off.
    2 Going out in the street : wifi on but No network + AT&T connected no data + Roaming Off
    3 Back in the hotel : wifi hotel network available but not yet connected, Notification of usage of Roaming data even if Roaming is Off. Same situation occurs When i entered a "Best Buy" store where wifi spot was available.
    Hope this helps.
    Feel free to ask me for morte détails.

Sep 30, 01:22
    French OPT owner since a few days running on Android 5.1.1 and Oxygen 2.0.2.
    My provider is "Orange France"
    First time today with OPT in USA (New York)
    I am aware of Roaming options and i duly set my phone to "No Roaming" When i left France.
    Bad surprise to see that my OPT is on it self using data. each time it happens i check setings and roaming is still Off !!!
    I cant find out what is the moment or the reason it's happening.
    Are other users concerned with this issue ?
    How can i know if a tiket or something is knowed by O+ Oxygen team ?
    Thanks for your feed-back and Help.

4. sebgueb Cupcake Oct 27, 2015

sebgueb, Oct 27, 2015 :
    Hello JPA380,

I think the switch you're talking about in the hidden settings menu is the global data switch.
    Setting this switch to off will deactivate roaming data and local data.

I travel to Luxembourg every day and it's really annoying.
    My feeling is that OPT doesn't refresh his live data settings when switching from national mobile provider to roaming mobile provider.

Roaming settings are deactivated but OPT doesn't seems to re-query them when changing from one provider to an other.

The workaround I found consist in switching to plane mode in order to lose every data connection.
    Then I wait to be in the roaming provider area, and I deactivate the plane mode.

OPT seems to respects roaming settings with this operation.

5. JPA380 Eclair Oct 28, 2015

JPA380, Oct 28, 2015 :
    Hello Sebgueb

Thank you for sharing your experience with this subject
    So far i remember i was in plane mode and Roaming was in off mode when i arrived in the US. And OPT did use data after a while.
    I Will try again this month in New York.
    I am now convinced that OP have to look for this issue of data / roaming settings, may be it's on the way following the ticket i did open.
    We Will see ....

remedy likes this.
  6. remedy KitKat Oct 28, 2015

remedy, Oct 28, 2015 :
    The EU roaming problem goes away in 2017

billy_boolean likes this.
  7. remedy KitKat Oct 28, 2015

remedy, Oct 28, 2015 :
    Scalpers are OnePlus distributers but without warranty. Where do you think scalpers buy their stock from?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015

8. sumii0626 Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 28, 2015

sumii0626, Oct 28, 2015 :
    Clearly you didn't know the scalpers come with stuff downloaded into it that does not make the user experience enjoyable... I suggest doing some research =)

9. LorenzoSommaruga Cupcake Oct 29, 2015

LorenzoSommaruga, Oct 29, 2015 :
    Hi, the same happened to me the last weeks crossing the border with Switzerland, my OPT spontaneously activated various time the roaming data connections on some days. Tot. cost about only 11€ thanks to all the credit spent!

I hope this BIG issue will be solved asap.
    No news/answers from OnePlus, what do you think?

10. billy_boolean Jelly Bean Oct 29, 2015

11. interco Cupcake Oct 30, 2015

interco, Oct 30, 2015 :
    I had the same issue. Got my new OP2 2 days ago, and travelled from Austria to Switzerland yesterday. When switching Airplane mode off while I was still on the plane, I checked if Data Roaming was turned off, and it was. After 30 seconds I got a Facebook notification, while I definitely should have been offline! So I again checked the setting, data roaming still was switched off, and tried to open a website, It worked! But just for some seconds, then the phone seemed to be really offline.

This is NOT good! I travel to Switzerland like every week! I need a phone, that will not give me a headache like this!

Will try the data connection toggle next time, but I hate to have to work around that every time I travel.

Oxygen 2.1.1. on a brand new OP2 from Oneplus.

12. pierrerm38 Donut Oct 30, 2015

pierrerm38, Oct 30, 2015 :
    Happened to me while travelling to India this week-end, seeing that my service provider charges 13€/mb of roaming data, and that my op2 began auto updating apps, i'll let you imagine what this cost me...
    I really hope that OnePlus fixes this swiftly as I travel often, and while there are workarounds, it is quite inconvenient that simply turning off roaming does not work.
    Also the Air France app does not open for some reason, oneplus please fix this, it seems like the op2 does not like travelers..

13. sebgueb Cupcake Oct 30, 2015

sebgueb, Oct 30, 2015 :
    For me it's a show stopper bug. If not corrected quickly, I'll broke up with this phone.

14. Matthias Bescherer Cupcake Nov 1, 2015

Matthias Bescherer, Nov 1, 2015 :
    Same here. Swiched mobile Data and data roaming off... Some minutes later Facebook-notifications. And this repeatable several times. Original OPT.

15. Hoermaenn Froyo Nov 1, 2015

Hoermaenn, Nov 1, 2015 :
    Same here, I was in switzerland and I got some notification from gmail. Data was off because of roaming. I think this is a very critical bug and shall be solved as soon as possible.

16. JPA380 Eclair Nov 2, 2015

JPA380, Nov 2, 2015 :
    Same for me : Air France App not able to open. Tried to uninstall / reinstall several Times but no way :-(

17. kkroesche Cupcake Nov 6, 2015

kkroesche, Nov 6, 2015 :
    Just the same for me here. Happens every time I'm abroad – thanks god it's just been EU until now. If not, this issue would have already cost me more than 100 euros. It's utterly inacceptable and should have been solved months ago.

barneymac likes this.
  18. alabam4tom Cupcake Nov 9, 2015

alabam4tom, Nov 9, 2015 :
    For me it's the same, I'm abroad every day and for the moment for this month it cost me 17€, this bug is clearly inacceptable !
    I don't understand why it's not solved in the last update !

19. Alealejandro Cupcake Nov 9, 2015

Alealejandro, Nov 9, 2015 :
    The same for me here, I have a Swiss simcard, I went to Paris for the weekend, and suddenly and out of the blue I started to get all kind of notifications. I lost 50 swiss francs with my Swiss Lebara line!

20. Tieske Gingerbread Nov 9, 2015

Tieske, Nov 9, 2015 :
    First, sorry for all of you that lost money because of this problem.
    Second, tnx for sharing and warning people about this problem which can cost people a lot of money.