[27 June, 2020] GUIDE TO ROOT ONEPLUS 6 via OnePlus 6

1. Nishant_Surte
    Donut Jun 26, 2020

Nishant_Surte , via OnePlus 6 , Jun 26, 2020 :
    *LAST EDIT - 13th August, 2020 - Updated links to TWRP*
    Requirements - 1. Oneplus 6 running on OxygenOS 10.3.x based on Android 10.
    2. Windows PC
    3. Files :
    Magisk - https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases

TWRP IMAGE file -
    https://eu.dl.twrp.me/enchilada/twrp-3.4.0-3-enchilada.img.html

TWRP ZIP file -
    https://eu.dl.twrp.me/enchilada/twrp-installer-3.4.0-3-enchilada.zip.html

15 Seconds ADB installer -
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=82441649&postcount=1682

*also, I will update links if there are any updates in the given files*

*also remember to take a backup of your entire data as this process involves formatting entire data*

Steps Involved -
    1. Unlocking Bootloader
    2. Replacing stock recovery using TWRP recovery
    3. Flashing Magisk for root access

Firstly, install 15 seconds ADB installer on your PC.
    Then, copy all the other four files in adb folder (wherever you have installed 15 seconds adb setup).

Then go to your phone and click on 'build number' several times until you see 'you are now a developer'.
    Then go to developer options and turn on OEM unlocking, USB debugging, and Advanced Reboot.
    Press and hold power button (you will see the option of BOOTLOADER) and boot your device into 'bootloader'.

UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER (this will erase all your data) : Now on PC open command prompt in adb folder (where you have placed all the rooting files) and enter command 'fastboot devices'. There, if you see a serial number then your device is properly connected in fastboot mode.
    Now enter the command 'fastboot oem unlock' and hit enter.

On mobile you will see a screen where it will give you two options - select Unlock the bootloader using volume key and press power key to unlock the bootloader. Once the device boots up complete the initial setup (No need to fill your email etc. for now, skip all that) and go to settings, about phone and tap on build number 7 times. Then go to developer options and there you will see that the oem unlocking option turned on because the bootloader is now unlocked. Now Turn on advanced reboot and USB debugging.

Now boot your device into bootloader.

Now on PC, check again if your device is properly connected in fastboot mode or not by giving the command 'fastboot devices' using command prompt.
    If your device is properly connected then the serial number will show up on your pc screen.

Now on your pc, go to the adb folder and copy the name of the image file.

Go to command promt and give the command 'fastboot boot (image file name).img [add dot img at the end of the file name as it is an img file]

And hit enter. Now your device will temporarily boot into TWRP recovery. In TWRP, go to Wipe>Format data>type 'yes' and click on the tick mark on your mobile keyboard.

Then go the home page of TWRP > reboot > bootloader.
    Again on your pc, give the command fast boot boot (image file name).img and boot back to TWRP Recovery.

Once you're back to recovery, copy the magisk & TWRP zip files to your mobile from your pc. [MTP should be enabled in order to do this]

Go ahead and click install TWRP zip and flash it, followed by flashing magisk zip file.

Press home button to come back to the main screen and click Reboot. Click on system.
    Your device will boot up.

In case if there are issues where you don't see emojis and multi language support, just download the latest oxygen os version (Full OTA) for your device and [clean] flash it from TWRP recovery for safety. You will have to flash TWRP and magisk zip again to have root access. The order is flash
    1.OOS
    2.TWRP zip
    3.Magisk

note - clean flash is where you format all your data (like we just did above^) before flashing.

You have now successfully replaced official recovery by TWRP recovery and have properly installed root access on your device.

This method is tested. Rooted my phone just a few hours ago using this same exact method. If you have any questions or corrections feel free to comment on this thread.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020

ajmoya and Jaberjb like this.
  2. Artemus.
    Nougat Jun 26, 2020

Artemus. , Jun 26, 2020 :
    Any reason for the Mega link?

Muhitpias and Caomhin like this.
  3. Nishant_Surte
    Donut Jun 26, 2020

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020

4. Roger.T
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 27, 2020

Roger.T , Jun 27, 2020 :
    So, maybe you just want to do some hidden advertising for the Android MTK website?
    Such things are not allowed..

You could have just linked the ADB installer via the original thread.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=82441649&postcount=1682

That would have been fairer than renaming the installer and putting it into a zip with two urls and a text file that all lead to Android MTK.

This is already under spam for me.
    Sorry if I have to say this...

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      34 KB
      Views:

Caomhin and Artemus. like this.
  5. Nishant_Surte
    Donut Jun 27, 2020

Nishant_Surte , via OnePlus 6 , Jun 27, 2020 :
    Why would i do that? I don't own that website and wth is 'hidden advertising' lmao? Anyway i have updated the link.

6. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Jun 27, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Jun 27, 2020 :
    Nice guide, fair play. 😎[e]1f44d[/e]

Artemus. and Nishant_Surte like this.
  7. Nishant_Surte
    Donut Jun 27, 2020

Caomhin likes this.
  8. sahil.amanu
    Gingerbread Jul 21, 2020

9. Nishant_Surte
    Donut Aug 12, 2020

10. Roger.T
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 12, 2020

Caomhin likes this.
  11. sahil.amanu
    Gingerbread Aug 13, 2020

sahil.amanu , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 13, 2020 :
    Damn.. everything was for Windows.. but somehow somethings worked on Mac..

[e]1f601[/e]

12. eromore189
    Gingerbread Aug 23, 2020

eromore189 , via OnePlus 6T , Aug 23, 2020 :
    Question, my OnePlus 6T has the bootloader unlocked and currently on OOS 10.3.5. is it necessary for me to format data after installing TWRP.img file? Wanted to ask before I try this myself. maybe someone has some information on that. thank you.

13. droidbuntu
    Cupcake Aug 28, 2020