3 Easy Ways to Spring Clean Your Smartphone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris dB
    Social Media Staff Member Apr 13, 2016

Chris dB , Apr 13, 2016 :
    Spring_Forum.png
    Friends,

It’s that time of year again. The bees have come out to play, the leaves are finally green again and budding flowers are starting to show their true colors. That’s right, it’s spring! What better way to celebrate the start of the season than with a squeaky clean smartphone? Last year, we tried to help you detox your OnePlus One with eight easy tips. But in all honesty, ain’t nobody got time for an eight-step plan. So, we got in touch with our devs to devise this slimmer 3-step plan. If only dieting were this easy…

1. Are you sure you want to reboot?

If your smartphone appears slow or buggy, you should be. Rebooting is a sure-fire way to free up all the RAM that got tangled up in apps and processes whirring in the background. Whenever you reboot your device all memory processes are cleared, so whenever you’re in need of a performance boost consider giving your phone a fresh start.

2. Cache out!

Every time we clear our cache, we’re reminded of the sheer volume of useless junk infesting our phones. Most, if not all, apps store temporary data on your device. It’s the litter apps leave behind, and refuse to clean up. All you need to do to clear the cache is go into Settings. Under storage you’ll find a tile called ‘Cached data’. Simply tap it and when the prompt pops up hit OK. (Last year, Cat freed up over 2GB of memory on her phone. I honestly don’t know where she found all of that junk, but I’m still pretty pleased with my 500mb yield.)

3. It’s a trap!

Our phones are full of apps that looked irresistible when we hit install, but sometimes we just don’t need them anymore. All these apps are good for is eating up a chunk of your memory. You should meditate on the value of each your apps and get rid of the deadwood. Let’s get started by rooting out some of the deceptive apps that can be found: cleaning apps. These apps do nothing today’s Android devices can’t do better themselves, drain your battery like there’s no tomorrow, and are riddled with pesky ads. Don’t let them fool you with talk of faster load speeds or smooth performance levels, you’re much better off without them.

In all honesty, devices are becoming more capable of keeping themselves clean every day. Hopefully, in a few years time you won’t ever have to worry about cleaning your device again. Until then, we hope these tips will go some way towards helping you keep your OnePlus experience as smooth as possible. We can’t wait to find out what you do to up your performance game, so please share your best tips below!

Never Settle.

P.S. We got in touch with one of the members of the OxygenOS team, @Arz Bhatia , to help us dig through the mud and find the most useful tips to help you clean your smartphone. Sometimes these discussions turn into chat jewels that are worth commemorating.

CatArzSpring.png

2. sfomin
    Nougat Apr 13, 2016

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016

Dresa91, Takendown, Robson and 14 others like this.
  3. Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Marshmallow Senior Moderator Apr 13, 2016

Bugru, Ceasedd, script and 3 others like this.
  4. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Apr 13, 2016

youbi , Apr 13, 2016 :
    Nice suggestions. :)

Lately, after the launch of the Oxygen OS 3.0 community built I decided to do a clean install, and when I was configuring the phone again I resisted to the easy path of just restore everything with the backup in the google account and it was the best thing I could have done. :D

I took a look to the ton of apps I had installed and decided to install only the real useful ones. I can see a lot of improvements in the battery department now. :)

5. TaskerLover
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 13, 2016

TaskerLover , Apr 13, 2016 :
    Did the same. Feel the difference.:)

6. meatandy
    Oreo Apr 13, 2016

meatandy , Apr 13, 2016 :
    I perform this monthly and if an app goes unused for more than a week..
    it's History ;)

7. pablofg1978
    Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Apr 13, 2016

pablofg1978 , Apr 13, 2016 :
    I made a factory reset this last Friday to install Cm13, after that I chose not to install a lot of apps

8. superplus
    English POC Assistant Head Moderator Apr 13, 2016

superplus , Apr 13, 2016 :
    whee so easy and so much faster than spring cleaning the house :p who needs a clean house anyway as long as your phone is clean ;-p anyway basically my phone "cleaning" policy ^_^

Gonzo01, Sneakeyy, Ceasedd and 8 others like this.
  9. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Apr 13, 2016

Mr. BG , Apr 13, 2016 :
    Simple and useful, may I add tip number four:

Don't install any Facebook apps.

It's like knowingly installing spy/mal/adware on your phone that will drain your memory, battery and that last bit of privacy you had.

Chrome can do FB notifications on the mobile website, or use Metal for Facebook.

I also like the 5 minute guide by Toms' Guide

Cheers ! :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016

10. Scherpenseel
    Jelly Bean Apr 13, 2016

11. SteakHutzee
    Apr 13, 2016

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2016

guro47, Sneakeyy, gabdul and 4 others like this.
  12. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Apr 13, 2016

camohan , Apr 13, 2016 :
    1. Battery saving apps
    2. Cache cleaners
    3. RAM booster
    and likes are more responsible for doing bad than good. Its more to do with mentality of the user. I have discussed many times, my friends say they have seen noticeable improvement after installing this apps. But its more to do with their mental satisfaction than actual improvement. If you use use RAM boosters or cache cleaner they will still find junk files after 5 mins of previous clean up. That seriously is a gimmick.

I would go ahead and further say that xposed modules also are not important.

Android is meant to be used as it is instead of gracing it up with artificial beauty.

13. jkb114
    Lollipop Apr 13, 2016

jkb114 , Apr 13, 2016 :
    I have never been a firm believer of these RAM boosters or Cache clearers.
    I would also suggest that when you do a reboot to clear the device cache whilst you're at it

Gonzo01 and Mr. BG like this.
  14. marinobiagio
    KitKat Apr 13, 2016

marinobiagio , Apr 13, 2016 :
    No Facebook apps.. No too much free apps (cos are full of ads!), no cleaner booster apps.. I like SD Maid app it works great.

15. pgidia
    Lollipop Apr 13, 2016

Gonzo01, Ceasedd and Mr. BG like this.
  16. An.I.Am
    Jelly Bean Moderator Apr 13, 2016

17. Jitesh Saitawadekar
    KitKat Apr 13, 2016

gabdul and IvanMuse like this.
  18. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Apr 13, 2016

Mr. BG , Apr 13, 2016 :
    Cache cleaners are unnecessary, but fact is that if you never switch off your phone and run all kinds of apps your cache data will get corrupted and may cause lagging, heating up or erratic behaviour

Sound familiar?

Many people have problems, not because their phone is broken or system bugs, but because of the above.

19. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Apr 13, 2016

Mr. BG , Apr 13, 2016 :
    And keep your phone switched off at all times.

Guaranteed no heating problems ;)

20. Gaston NP
    Lollipop Moderator Apr 13, 2016