83.5%
  3. No interest

7 vote(s)
    8.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bviengthong
    Honeycomb Aug 25, 2015

bviengthong , Aug 25, 2015 :
    Hey guys, sorry for the delay. If you are viewing this for the first time you can catch up here:https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...r-finally-arrived.347329/page-4#post-12734267

Finally got settled here in Tennessee (15+ hour drive). Still getting over the fact this took 4 days to get my hands on (super quick). I got some time in between travel to play around with the OP2. Few questions were brought up; the focus on the camera for recording, fingerprint sensor and a full on review.

In regards to the camera, I can recall the lighting being off at certain times when you are moving the camera around. You may be able to see what I am talking about once you watch the YouTube Video. If you are moving to fast, you can tell that the image does not render as quickly as its previous model. I did recieve the OTA update last night, I will see if it makes a difference. At this point I would prefer using the original OP for recoring until OP2 get its fix.

(New) Battery Life & Heating: I have to put this out there that I am huge conservative when it comes to battery. I don't use the battery saver feature, but I do disable unsused apps, lave brightness at about 15% and have location on device only. Glad to see that battery saver is still on here though when you hit 15% or 5%. During my 15+ ride up to Tennesse, I mainly used the phone for maps and streaming media. I did not notice the phone emitting much heat until I had it navigating. However, there are other factors I had to consider. The fact it was 81 degrees and it was in a holster that is clung to the windshield. So I could be the combination of the google maps running while the heat from the windshield radiating on the back of the device. In regards to the over heating I heard from other users, I believe it is typical of any device. It's warm but not hot to the point where I feel like it is overheating. From the time I opened the OP2 to the time I connected it to the charger for the first time it was probably about 36 hours with 60% of that time being used with streaming and google maps.

Fingerprint sensor: I would have to agree with previous users where they say it has been working 90% of the time. The 10% could be due to not pressing firmly though it is not a physical button. I have only regestered my right thumb for now. When the phone is in your hand, my middle finger sort of defaults to be placed over the second camera flash since it has been placed a little lower. It makes me a bit unconfortable as I am nit picky about smudging the camera.

As far as behind the style swap, I would say it looks similar. The only difference are the two sensors are placed over towards the side and its missing the NFC chip. Which leads me to my own personal thoughts.

What I enjoy about the OP2:
    I like the feel and simplicity of the phone. It is a little bit more weighted and the style swap is way more easier to handle than previous phone. I enjoy the fingerprint sensor, it does make it a bit more convient than having to click the power button and slide. I also like the customization of the color schemes (currently set to dark with red accent). The volume rocker is excellent; it allows for less action when needing to switch between settings. Perfect for when needing to step into or a meeting or heading into a movie. I am looking forward to the dual sim, as I have a different carrier for the data and an inexspensive phone and text providor. I also like the USB type-C; it allows for zero mistakes with user error. Atleast I hope so.

What I miss:
    Keep in mind this response is towards the stock build; Not as much customization in terms of themes unless downloaded through a third party app. I liked that about the first OP. I miss being able to have desktop mode so that the notifications bar can auto hide. Also, you do not have the option any more as far as I know, to switch between data speeds (2g, 3g ect.). I enjoyed being able to switch to conserve battery in places where I do not get great signal strength. I do miss the NFC. I am not as bothered as much as some have, but it is convenient to have a second method of payment handy or easy bluetooth connection.

Overall, I would totally make the switch from OP to OP2 or any phone that you have. It has great potential as long as your willing to be patient.

For further questions? Aks, I will do my best to share some perspective. Thanks

View attachment 354516

@rctempire, @JHong, @Dlee0405, @ianeire

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015

2. JHong
    Jelly Bean Aug 25, 2015

JHong , Aug 25, 2015 :
    Thanks a lot bro! It was really good knowing that the phone is full of positives so far.

The refocusing in the clip that you recorded is not as apparent as some others that i've seen so i'm not sure if it's present on all phones or not, but if you watch the clip closely you can still see the camera hunting from focus from time to time (this doesn't happen in such abrupt and sudden in most other flagship cameras).

As for the fingerprint sensor, i'm glad to see that it's working for you most of the time. Some people have reported sensitivity issues and sometimes it just outright refuses to register the finger at all. Would like to know what the OTA update fixes for you. :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015

bviengthong likes this.
  3. scrivz69
    Jelly Bean Aug 25, 2015

scrivz69 , Aug 25, 2015 :
    Thanks for the update, nice to see them rolling out, even if it is slowly.

4. Dlee0405
    Gingerbread Aug 25, 2015

Dlee0405 , Aug 25, 2015 :
    Am looking towards the fingerprint sensor...
    Sounds good...

How do you rate the heat issue?

5. vamsideepkanth
    Gingerbread Aug 25, 2015

vamsideepkanth , Aug 25, 2015 :
    First of all congratulations, I like the video and the video quality.

bviengthong likes this.
  6. Lunarken
    Honeycomb Aug 25, 2015

7. Peter8169
    Jelly Bean Aug 25, 2015

Peter8169 , Aug 25, 2015 :
    Nice review/impressions! :D One thing I would love to see is if you can turn auto-focus off on the videos.... If you want to focus you can instead tap the screen on where you want it to focus on... But regardless enjoy your phone! ;)

8. keithnyc
    Marshmallow Moderator Aug 25, 2015

keithnyc , Aug 25, 2015 :
    Really helpful review...thanks.

9. bviengthong
    Honeycomb Aug 25, 2015

Yea I noticed it too, but it still impressed with the picture quality. I think it is ideal for stationary capturing versus fast action capturing.

The fingerprint sensor has been great. I do notice it is only an advantage to my right hand and realized it would probably be a good idea to program my left thumb. This also assuming I controlling the device from one hand.

JHong likes this.
  10. bviengthong
    Honeycomb Aug 25, 2015

Update within the body of text. Thanks!

11. bviengthong
    Honeycomb Aug 25, 2015

I will give it a shot and then post!

Peter8169 likes this.
  12. Peter8169
    Jelly Bean Aug 25, 2015

I shall look forward to seeing that! :D

13. bviengthong
    Honeycomb Aug 25, 2015

If a scale from 0 to 10, 10 being to hot to hold in my hand and 0 being no heat at all, I would probably say on average 2 to 4 if I am streaming or messing with apps. Again keeping in mind different variables that come into play. Phone on standby it would be zero. At one point I would give it a 6 and that was when I had it near the window when I was navigating.

14. Dlee0405
    Gingerbread Aug 25, 2015

Dlee0405 , Aug 25, 2015 :
    Guess there are still some heating. ....
    Though seems on the acceptable range....

Thanks man......
    Appreciated it....
    Cheers

bviengthong likes this.
  15. mav2000
    Gingerbread Aug 25, 2015

16. bviengthong
    Honeycomb Aug 25, 2015

Can you be more specific please?

17. bviengthong
    Honeycomb Aug 25, 2015

Hey, I gave your suggestion a try, was not able to do a Manuel zoom in recording. The only thing that it would do was inhance the lighting...

Peter8169 likes this.
  18. Peter8169
    Jelly Bean Aug 25, 2015

Hmm...alright. Thanks for trying man! :D

19. bviengthong
    Honeycomb Aug 25, 2015

Yea I'll look more into this for you however! Unless you have another video or link for instructions, I'll be more thank willing to give it another go.

Peter8169 likes this.
  20. ianeire
    Froyo Aug 25, 2015

ianeire , Aug 25, 2015 :
    Nice review man.

Soooooo the burning question.... Best phone you've ever used??