38R to 44S Upgrade, but have removed some apps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j0hnby
    Froyo Nov 13, 2014

j0hnby , Nov 13, 2014 :
    I have a small thought - but one that could save a bit of work for me.

I have CM 11 38R at the moment, I know the 44S OTA will appear soon enough. Only thing is i have removed a load of apps that I don't use from the ROM. via root and Titanium Backup (rather than just freezing/disabling them)

The way I understand updates to work is the script will look for an existing file, compare the signature with an expected one, then update only what is needed.

SO by me removing these apps will I have screwed that process as it isn't smart enough to just ignore these missing files.

I have the removed apps on a backup (always backup before screwing around!) so can restore and re-freeze them I guess, but if I don't have to I would rather not have to.

It's been a long time since I have used a ROM with OTA built in (recently been on Sky Dragon GPE and Android Revolution HD), is the update process I described above still correct and have I screwed the update patcher by removing the files?

Joyyy likes this.
  2. Silverchaoz
    Lollipop Nov 13, 2014

3. carbine30
    Marshmallow Nov 13, 2014

carbine30 , Nov 13, 2014 :
    Nowadays everything is possible

ronoldo, gedeone and teqnix like this.
  4. teqnix
    Lollipop Nov 13, 2014

teqnix , Nov 13, 2014 :
    There is a triangle in de 4. It gotta be illuminati.

gatenosix likes this.
  5. EvilSpeaks
    Jelly Bean Nov 13, 2014

j0hnby likes this.
  6. j0hnby
    Froyo Nov 13, 2014

j0hnby , Nov 13, 2014 :
    Yeah, well spotted - I screwed the title of the thread up........damn

ravi4ever and gedeone like this.
  7. j0hnby
    Froyo Nov 13, 2014

8. Deactivated User
    Nov 13, 2014

9. j0hnby
    Froyo Nov 13, 2014

j0hnby , Nov 13, 2014 :
    Thanks Ravo, an on topic reply ;)

I could just restore my removed apps from the backups I took before uninstalling them, freeze them so they are not active, and then try the update again.

I have managed to find the signed update package file via XDADev, it fails saying it can't find the Exchange Services file to patch it (yes, I have removed it so was half expecting it).

Annoying update process, wonder if there is a way to re-write it to ignore missing files.

Joyyy likes this.
  10. Hanson Lee
    Marshmallow Nov 13, 2014

Hanson Lee , Nov 13, 2014 :
    That a right angle triangle son!

teqnix and j0hnby like this.
  11. webpatrick
    Honeycomb Nov 13, 2014

Joyyy likes this.
  12. early_adopter
    Gingerbread Nov 13, 2014

early_adopter , Nov 13, 2014 :
    I had removed apps and was not able to flash 44s. Had to restore a backup that still had the apps included and then it worked.

j0hnby likes this.
  13. j0hnby
    Froyo Nov 13, 2014

j0hnby , Nov 13, 2014 :
    If I do a reflash of the system image that resets it back to default state right? So no updates or additional apps that I have downloaded since that snapshot right?

Annoying option, will stick to the restore of the dozen or so apps I removed rather than re-do everything on my phone.

I apologise if I have that wrong and reflashing won't reset to default - let me know though.

14. ravi4ever
    Community Veteran Nov 13, 2014

OALEXANDER and j0hnby like this.
  15. j0hnby
    Froyo Nov 13, 2014

ravi4ever likes this.
  16. j0hnby
    Froyo Nov 13, 2014

j0hnby , Nov 13, 2014 :
    I have restored the removed apps, started with just having them frozen. Tried the update again and it failed - missing the .odex files. So unfroze, and rebooted, no .odex, then cleared my Dalvik Cache, and rebooted - still no .odex files. Have also launched some of the apps - and still no .odex generated.

I am missing something (obviously) - anyone know how to get these buggers to be created?

17. j0hnby
    Froyo Nov 13, 2014

18. Funk Wizard
    Moderator Moderator Nov 14, 2014

Funk Wizard , Nov 14, 2014 :
    Glad that it finally worked for you. Yes to flash the system img was the option and now once the update is done you may refreeze the apps that you don't use, I suggest not to uninstall them. I personally use rom toolbox pro for this and it works efficiently.

OALEXANDER and j0hnby like this.
  19. j0hnby
    Froyo Nov 14, 2014

j0hnby , Nov 14, 2014 :
    I thought that rewriting the system like this would have wiped all my apps.....but of course it wouldn't! The user installed apps are in a different location so are fine (I did know that, just had a mental block). The only two I had to re-install were Xposed and Apex Launcher (both of which are installed as system apps - so put in the system partition)

I use Titanium Backup to backup and manage apps, will check out rom toolbox, always like a new tool.

20. webpatrick
    Honeycomb Nov 14, 2014

webpatrick , Nov 14, 2014 :
    No it won't