4 Years in the OnePlus Community!

1. rameshshreyas
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 29, 2018

rameshshreyas , Nov 29, 2018 :
    [​IMG]

This is going to be a very long post.

4 Years.

It’s been four years since I’ve joined the OnePlus community. And it feels like yesterday. I remember that day, when I was back home from school, tired. I was glad that I didn't have my IIT-JEE (Competitive entrance exam for the top institutes of the country – Indian Institute of Technology) coaching so I switched on my PC and logged in to Facebook. As I was scrolling through various posts I saw this ad of OnePlus. I was intrigued by the logo at first. So I went through their website, saw the OnePlus One and I was shocked to see such a great phone at such a killer price. I knew I wanted to buy one. But as you rightly remember, it isn't that easy.

When I got to know about the company for the first time, they weren't selling it in India at that moment. They had put up a video that they are partnering with Amazon India to sell the One. And then, a seventeen-year-old excited kid joined the forums. And as all cupcakes did at that time, beg for invites. It was tough because Indian invites were quite less at that time and I got international ones, so I started giving them away. It felt nice, as some of them whom I gave it to had said that they had been waiting for almost 3 weeks and the joy it brought when they got hold of one was out of the world. This made OnePlus stand out from the rest of the competition as it was unique and people who’d buy the phone would cherish it because they've waited for so long to get one.

I was following Club India for Indian invites and after a few weeks I got my first invite. One which I can use and buy a phone. Oh, speaking of which, at that time I had a Samsung keypad phone (One with a numpad and had a radio that didn't require a headphone to be inserted).

[​IMG]
    My phone for basically the entire schooling life, when my friends had smartphones.
    So coming back to the story, one night after a dreadful day at school and coaching classes, I got an invite. I was so happy I was jumping in my room! My mom entered and asked why was I jumping.​

I said, “Ma, I got an invite!”.

“Invite? For what?”

“For the OnePlus One!!”

“What’s that?”​

I explained to her about the company and how awesome the phone was. She listened to it patiently and answered, “NO.” I was shocked and disappointed. I begged her to buy for me. She refused. She said only after I score well in my 12th board exams she’ll buy a smartphone for me. That was next year! I had to give it away. I gave away tens of invites in the group and created threads (moderators having a hard time merging and closing threads xD)

[​IMG]
    The OnePlus Cardboard. OnePlus Loop VR peeking in the background
    My exams went well. Didn’t get into IITs sadly. But scored fairly well in the board exams. OnePlus 2 rumours filled the internet and the forum. I happily hopped on to the Hype train. I was determined to buy the phone this time. I was excited to hear that the OnePlus 2 would be launched in VR for the first time. Immediately I rushed and got the OnePlus Cardboard before it would be unavailable. But there was a problem. The only smartphone in the house was my dad’s Moto G (1st gen) and didn’t have gyroscope. That let me down. The entire keynote I was watching the floor. But when I did get to see the OnePlus 2, I loved it. The metal sides looked quite premium compared to the all plastic back of the One. And they even retained the ever-famous Sandstone Back! USB C was a real game changer as you’d never hear any other manufacturer having USB C. I felt so damn happy that the wait was worthwhile. I had heard that the 810 had some heating issues but the company had responded by saying that they have taken care of it. So that wasn’t a deterrent for me. I knew I had to buy this immediately.

But the great invite system was back for this phone. And there was a queueing system as well. When I enrolled I was around 8k in the queue. I referred my link to all my friends and relatives. I even created Gmail and yahoo accounts to jump in the queue and ended up in 1.2k position. Good enough to get an invite within the first two weeks.

Now, the pop up event.
    [​IMG]
    Drenched, but worth it!
    I arrived at the pop up event in the afternoon. Since OnePlus didn’t have a store, they had arranged it in CCD (Café Coffee Day). I was around 50th position. We weren’t allowed to enter till 4pm but my father smartly entered CCD and sat while I was standing outside. Smart father! Then it started to rain. Got drenched but didn’t want to leave. Shivering, I went inside and saw the phone to myself. All these years of waiting, all these efforts to get an invite early, it all came down to my first contact with the phone. And it was worth it. The rough surface of Sandstone, the cool side frame (Thanks to the AC) and that satisfying feel of the alert slider brought a huge smile in my face. I knew I have to buy this. My father was surprised to see so many people are so eager to see a phone and see such a fandom towards a smartphone!

[​IMG]
    My first picture clicked on my OnePlus 2!
    Fast forward to 20th August 2015. I bought my first smartphone. My smartphone. Felt so good! After a long wait for an invite I received it in the middle of the night. I woke my father up and ordered it. There is something about these invites that makes you value the purchase. I love my #OnePlus2 and I still use it, after 3.5 years! My friends made fun of my phone not having NFC by transferring stuff using it. Didn’t really matter that much. Only gripe I had was that it did heat up. I got a lot of invites and again, gave it away in the forums. And I will forever be angry with OnePlus that they did not give us Nougat! 3, 3T gets Pie and we, only Marshmallow? Lost cause…

One of the best things of this forums is that you can voice your opinions and the company actually listens to it and try to incorporate it in the next smartphones. Be it the numerous surveys and discussions, the open forums (which I wish I was a part of) and AMA sessions. And to know that you have influenced in some way increases the connect between you and the smartphone. I never felt the same with any other smartphone maker. And I became famous (sort of :p) thanks to the backpack invite thread!

[​IMG]
    OnePlus 3 Launch event!
    I have been to at least one pop up every year (3, 3T, 5T and 6T) and I am so happy that the growth is exponential. Our community is growing at such a fast pace, nothing comes close to us! Kudos to the team, all the moderators and all users who have made OnePlus forums 1.8 million strong! And a special thanks to all the wormies who have accepted me as a new member in their thread! Thank you OnePlus! Here’s to many more years in this community!

[​IMG]

Never Settle.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018

2. meatandy
    Oreo Nov 29, 2018

3. rameshshreyas

dalmia09, progjunkie, xnutzii and 5 others like this.
  4. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Nov 29, 2018

dsmonteiro , Nov 29, 2018 :
    Happy forumbirthday!

I'm nearing five, myself. What a rollercoaster it has been for me, I hope you've been enjoying it as much as I have!

5. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Nov 29, 2018

Cheetosdust , Nov 29, 2018 :
    Lovely story @rameshshreyas, thank you for sharing it with the rest of the community.

Here's to the next four years and congratulations on your forum birthday! :cool:

6. rameshshreyas

Oh yes I have been enjoying it every single day! Happy 5th Forum birthday in advance!

7. rameshshreyas

Thanks a lot!

8. Dresa91
    Android Q Nov 29, 2018

Dresa91 , Nov 29, 2018 :
    congrats :)
    well written :)

dalmia09, xnutzii, Bouncer71 and 4 others like this.
  9. rameshshreyas

10. DrArs
    Gingerbread Nov 29, 2018

DrArs , Nov 29, 2018 :
    are you mkbhd?

11. YRJ
    Lollipop Nov 29, 2018

YRJ , Nov 29, 2018 :
    haha! great story that fact that 99% of it is relatable is ridiculous
    I have been thorough similar situations, but things aren't the same anymore.
    I would soon celebrate my fortnight in the forums [e]1f602[/e]
    it was lovely reading this, Nostalgic.
    happy 4th anniversary [e]1f60a[/e]

Never Settle

12. rameshshreyas

Good ol' times! xD
    Thanks man!

dalmia09, BeingIncog and YRJ like this.
  13. rameshshreyas

14. meatandy
    Oreo Nov 29, 2018

15. NikhilJagtap

NikhilJagtap , Nov 29, 2018 :
    My friend is using OP2 with Oreo in it. He said he will flash Pie as he gets stable ROM. I consider Fingerprint Scanner as a game changer over Type C.
    Wishes on your forum-day! xD

dalmia09, Bouncer71 and rameshshreyas like this.
  16. rameshshreyas

Thanks!
    I use PE Pie, but would be great to have Oxygen OS Oreo!
    Fingerprint sensor as well!

17. Deepak.Si
    KitKat Nov 29, 2018

Deepak.Si , Nov 29, 2018 :
    Thanks for writing this...

I had to pickup mine (One) from Delhi....just because Amazon wasn't deliver it to my place....

The payment setup....the journey... The Satisfaction of holding it in the hand....

*Pagle tune rula diya....

*Joy

18. rameshshreyas

I'm glad that my post has rekindled your fond memories. No wonder we have such passionate people in this community!

19. DrArs
    Gingerbread Nov 29, 2018

dalmia09 and Praty_28 like this.
  20. the_o2
    Marshmallow Nov 29, 2018

the_o2 , Nov 29, 2018 :
    Very well written mate, it's nice to read your story and congratulations for 4th birthday ( you are an Engineer now in OnePlus college :D:D).

Btw I also used both Samsung and the Moto G1 which you mentioned here ;);)