4g/LTE falling back to 3g all the time.

1. G_Simon_Atkinson_wqNP
    Eclair Jul 20, 2016

G_Simon_Atkinson_wqNP , Jul 20, 2016 :
    Where I live there is a good strong 4g signal, that my nexus 6 was happy to use if wifi was off. The 1+3 however ignores the 4g signal and resolutely stays on 3g (H) only.

This is on the 3 UK network.

I've been on a long drive into London today and the phone stayed on 3g all the time.
    Unless I force the phone to go to 4g from the hidden test menu, by dialing *#*#4636#*#* it seems to stay on 3g. Obviously locking it to 4g isn't an option as 4g isn't everywhere yet, and on 3 UK the 1+3 won't do VoLTE.

Any thoughts on how to make the phone prefer 4g over 3g when 4g is available?

Phone only a week old and on 3.2.1.

Thanks

darrenrm1 likes this.
  2. ritchiedrama
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 20, 2016

ritchiedrama , Jul 20, 2016 :
    Had this issue, fixed itself but on the odd occasion I have to turn airplane mode on then off - there is an option in Network or something that says LTE if available (recommended) other than that it could be 3 just having a bad day? O2 had a bad day like that and it kept doing the ssame thiing.

3. G_Simon_Atkinson_wqNP
    Eclair Jul 20, 2016

It could be, but I think it's a fault in the software. My brother has just tested his, different network, he's on O2 and 150 miles from me.

His is exactly the same, preferring H to 4g, even though his wife's phone on O2 in the same room is picking up and using 4g.

4. stefan_ddorf
    Jelly Bean Jul 20, 2016

stefan_ddorf , Jul 20, 2016 :
    True, this isn't an option. I'm sure you've checked that LTE is chosen as your preferred connection type in settings (not in the"hidden" Menü), did you?

5. G_Simon_Atkinson_wqNP
    Eclair Jul 20, 2016

I certainly did. In both the normal setup and in the #* menu.

6. stefan_ddorf
    Jelly Bean Jul 20, 2016

stefan_ddorf , Jul 20, 2016 :
    Mmm, if this behaviour doesn't occur when using the same SIM in another handset, maybe it's time to contact support, because there are no other options to be set which could cause this... AFAIK... I'm pretty sure they will suggest doing a factory reset as first step.

7. pablofg1978
    Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Jul 20, 2016

8. G_Simon_Atkinson_wqNP
    Eclair Jul 20, 2016

That's the conclusion I am coming to as well :-(

9. merewoodbebox
    Jelly Bean Jul 20, 2016

merewoodbebox , Jul 20, 2016 :
    i am on three and i have the same issue with the oneplus 2, but i think it is three side not the phone. the phone gets instructions on how hard it should hold on to each type of network, 4g is becoming very crowed for three so i think they are trying to offload people onto 3 as quickly as possible, so unless you have excellent 4g, youll probably be on 3g

10. remedy
    KitKat Jul 20, 2016

remedy , Jul 20, 2016 :
    This is perception but not true. I'm mainly in London and I have 4G 95% of the time even though it can be quite congested during business hours. No fallback to 3G that I have noticed.

11. merewoodbebox
    Jelly Bean Jul 21, 2016

merewoodbebox , Jul 21, 2016 :
    but if youre in the heart of london then you should have excellent 4g, i am in south east london, and i cant get 4G to save my life, and when i get it, its always full bars

12. rmarrins
    Cupcake Jul 21, 2016

rmarrins , Jul 21, 2016 :
    Same issue as me, but I am on Vodafone UK. Constantly falling back to the 3g network, despite a strong 4g network signal. I can be sitting in the same room as my wife (also on Vodafone) and her phone is connected to 4g, so definitely not a network issue. Seems to suggest a problem with the OP3 software.

13. remedy
    KitKat Jul 21, 2016

remedy , Jul 21, 2016 :
    West End and North-West London mainly.

14. craig3636
    Cupcake Jul 25, 2016

craig3636 , Jul 25, 2016 :
    at last' it's not just me.i'm having the same problem with 3 uk in sheffield, it stays on 3g then any time up to 10 mins it switches to LTE and stays on it at home, but when im driving and i go out of 4g coverage it will switch to 3g as expected but won't switch back to LTE, even when right next to the phone mast! never lost 4g on my galaxy s5 with the same sim card, was cut down to nano size at the 3 shop.
    iv'e had my op3 just over a week and love it but i'm on the verge of returning it as i'm not confident it will be sorted with a software update, i'm a heavy data user and need 4g.

15. G_Simon_Atkinson_wqNP
    Eclair Jul 25, 2016

G_Simon_Atkinson_wqNP , Jul 25, 2016 :
    My problem seems to be sorted, and my brothers identical problem on O2.

He rang O2, they did some magic and then LTE was working. Without much hope I did the same and rang 3. The guy seemed quite clued up, complemented me on buying such a good phone.

He did a few tests, told me he couldn't understand what was wrong and we separated on good terms. Since then, LTE has been my almost constant companion.

Whether 3 did anything or not, I don't know. But the phone is working fine now.

16. tony147
    Cupcake Jul 29, 2016

tony147 , Jul 29, 2016 :
    I have the same issue in the UK with Vodafone. 3G works fine but not getting 4G (even manual searching does not find 4G network). Nothing wrong with area as I swap the sim to another device and 4G working. I tried the *#*#.....' but made no difference. Have called Vodafone to see what they can do....

17. remedy
    KitKat Jul 31, 2016

remedy , Jul 31, 2016 :
    Try Spelt's solution that he set out in his forum posting #1286.

18. patrice58
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 29, 2016

patrice58 , Aug 29, 2016 :
    Ha! You would like to think so but it's not so. Central London is so congested the 4g is usually so slow it's often faster to use the slower 3g!