4k Television with Android TV and new WiFi 802.11ad

1. Miguel PARRA
    Froyo Nov 22, 2014

Miguel PARRA , Nov 22, 2014 :
    Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a new TV to replace my old one and I would like to find one with :

- 46" to 49" screen
    - 4k resolution,
    - Android TV,
    - the new WiFi 802.11ad built-in

This type of WiFi will allow mirroring from another device which would also have the 802.11ad wifi with zero lag (not like Miracast, that lags between 0,5s and 1s). This means that the new phones coming out in 2015 with 802.11ad, like those that will use the Snapdragon 810 will no longer need cables to play games without lag or even stream large 4k movies.

I found information about the new WiFi standard in this very interesting article:
    http://www.onlinereporter.com/2014/...form-will-revolutionize-in-room-connectivity/

I know that Philips, Sony and Sharp are planning to put into the market their televisions with Android TV, and Philips has already some models out with it, but I haven't seen any model with the new 802.11ad WiFi.

Does anybody know about a TV with these characteristics? My budget would be a max of 700€-800€.

Another option would be to buy a TV without Android TV but with 802.11ad WiFi, and just use the phone as the Smart TV when mirroring. That would be a cheaper option, as Android TV would be included only in the new models.
    I have also seen there are some USB dongles out for sale with WiFi 802.11ad, but would these be compatible for a TV? I think they are meant to be used only for computers.

What are your thoughts? Some advice for an existing TV on the market today? Should I wait till January or February of next year to have more models/brands to choose?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

2. JosephGLittle
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 22, 2014

JosephGLittle , Nov 22, 2014 :
    The Funk Brothers baby, its 802.11ac :p but the brand to look at is SONY and LG at the moment but LG are using WEB OS and not Android TV where as sony are using Android TV

3. Miguel PARRA
    Froyo Nov 22, 2014

Miguel PARRA , Nov 22, 2014 :
    Maybe LG is worth it even if it has Web OS. It has good prices and I could use mirroring with my phone for Android on the big screen :). There are still no LG models with 802.11ad are there?

4. Miguel PARRA
    Froyo Nov 23, 2014

Miguel PARRA , Nov 23, 2014 :
    By the way...I expect the Oneplus Two to have the Sanpdragon 810, but as it is expected the be unveiled between the 2nd and the 3rd quarter of 2015, the Oneplus team may have the option to choose the next Nvidia Tegra K2? Will this SoC have WiFi 802.11ad?

I think Nvidia are becoming serious competitors for Qualcomm, they did a great job with the K1

5. ljackson
    Honeycomb Nov 23, 2014

ljackson , Nov 23, 2014 :
    I hate to say this but 700€-800€ isn't going to be enough for what you want!

StuartTonkin likes this.
  6. Miguel PARRA
    Froyo Nov 23, 2014

Yes well...if I want the TV to have everything in the list I guess it's not easy, it would be more abot 1000€. But I think it would be fine without Android TV, as log as it has the 802.11ad WiFi... And maybe the discount after Christmas will help :)

7. ljackson
    Honeycomb Nov 23, 2014

ljackson , Nov 23, 2014 :
    a couple people I know have 4k tv's and 1080p content (like Sky HD/normal tv) doesn't look very good just because it's not at 4k resolution and upscaling doesn't seem to cut it! I want a 4k tv too although since there isnt anything really broadcast in 4k (okay there is but hardly anything) I would hold out for now and wait until everything moves up to 4k!

8. tnt666
    Honeycomb Nov 23, 2014

9. Miguel PARRA
    Froyo Nov 23, 2014

Mmmm...that sounds interesting! Low price, Android, 4k...But it doesn't have WiGig and it looks rather difficult to import in France. Warranty and language of the menus may be other problems to take in account.

I think I will wait and see what is in the market in January for the sales. I hope chinese companies making TVs follow the same way as Oneplus and start selling their products wordwide with warranty and local after-sales service.