5 Reasons to Not Buy OnePlus Devices from Scalpers

1. brndnbnr
    Gingerbread Aug 6, 2014

brndnbnr , Aug 6, 2014 :
    The average price of an OPO in Europe on ebay is €450, and from Hong Kong it's €340. I'm guessing that this is down to point 1 - oversupply in China, and undersupply of the non-TDLTE version?

2. Cmody
    Donut Aug 6, 2014

Cmody , Aug 6, 2014 :
    Hi

Just want to point out that theres a reason why people are considering scalpers. We really want the phone but there is a limit how long people are willing to wait and then beg on the forums for invites. Some people have the resources and will pay a premium and buy from scalpers even though they would prefer to buy from oneplus.net directly like myself. I need to get a phone as mine is on its last legs - i would really want to get the oneplus but what are my options

1.buy another brand as i cant get my hands on one
    2. Buy from a scalper.

I would want an answer which is a better option.

I mean my member number is like 78k - if after 2-3 months in production Oneplus cant produce enough phones for 100-200k people who really wanna get the phone then admin should not post disuading people from buying from scalpers.

ant y

brndnbnr and Godric like this.
  3. dgilford
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 7, 2014

dgilford , Aug 7, 2014 :
    I think at this point why not just reach more countries and send out more invites? It seems to me that success is the only path

4. apeter123
    Cupcake Aug 8, 2014

5. masterpoison
    Cupcake Aug 8, 2014

6. Sinjoor1
    Cupcake Aug 8, 2014

Sinjoor1 , Aug 8, 2014 :
    5. Miss out on the OnePlus experience. Since the beginning, our goal was to fuse superior product with unparalleled customer experience. By buying from a scalper, you are missing out on dedicated services available only for OnePlus Global users.[/QUOTE]

So true!

7. ollied1981
    Cupcake Aug 8, 2014

8. brndnbnr
    Gingerbread Aug 8, 2014

brndnbnr , Aug 8, 2014 :
    It might be better for oneplus to offer a service to validate handsets sold by scalpers - i.e. to have a serial number verification that it is a genuine handset - and possibly who originally won and sent the invite.

I would be weary of buying of 'scalpers' purely because I'd like to ensure we are getting the real thing.

/bb

9. eidra07
    Cupcake Aug 9, 2014

eidra07 , Aug 9, 2014 :
    Thanks for this..almost bought one form other "sources". But the waiting is so frustrating I'm considering getting oppo find 7 intead,

10. ethan919
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 9, 2014

ethan919 , Aug 9, 2014 :
    Thank you Jerry. I especially appreciate the point about the warranty issue. Can you expand on that a little? There are quite a few phones available through Ebay. Does the warranty apply only to the original purchaser, or would it transfer to a subsequent purchaser?

11. riemann78
    Froyo Aug 9, 2014

riemann78 , Aug 9, 2014 :
    Yeah it is sad to see how many of these beautiful phones being sold on eBay.

12. dgilford

dgilford , Aug 9, 2014 :
    I received the following from oneplus
    Check out this link for more info on scalpers:
    http://forums.oneplus.net/threads/5-reasons-to-not-buy-the-oneplus-one-from-scalpers.35689/

13. alexmwong
    Gingerbread Aug 9, 2014

alexmwong , Aug 9, 2014 :
    I was totally gonna buy a scalped version... honestly if the phone was easier to acquire this wouldn't be a problem.

14. dgilford

dgilford , Aug 9, 2014 :
    Agreed. Well I have been a member for a week already and I am still without an invite

15. maistis
    Gingerbread Aug 9, 2014

maistis , Aug 9, 2014 :
    You mean that at this point OnePlus doesn't want let go of less than ~60k of free advertizers for their social media marketing? You really think that China's market isn't fully getting what they want? Ffs OnePlus only supplies international market when they see that they've peaked in China.

16. maistis
    Gingerbread Aug 9, 2014

maistis , Aug 9, 2014 :
    A week? Lol.

17. dgilford

dgilford , Aug 9, 2014 :
    I guess all this waiting is worth it :)

18. HughOSB
    Froyo Aug 9, 2014

HughOSB , Aug 9, 2014 :
    But we who cannot get invites and thus cannot get phones from the official international store are already "missing out" on the OnePlus experience!

I received mine yesterday from a UK reseller, after doing a lot of homework. Yes, it is the Chinese model without the CyanogenMod branding. No warranty, OK; but the reseller has been pretty good so far and is obviously setting himself up as a regular supplier, so I expect he will be keen to help me in if any troubles crop up. His price was not hugely inflated, about £40 more and that included special delivery next day by 1pm, and he threw in a clear gel case, screen protector and mini-stylus plus a couple of other little extras.

The main troubles was that the CyanogenMod OS would not install the system update it automatically downloaded. So before I went any further I re-installed the latest CyanogenMod from the official page. Easy as pie.

Now I am able to share the OnePlus CyanogenMod experience. Great phone, lovely to hold and to use, no yellow tint on the display nor lag in using apps, with great scope for customization. And oh that sandstone texture! Pleasant to the touch and no fingerprints.

I got sick of waiting, and of feeling I had to earn the right to own the phone. The phone is worth the money, and more. It is a pleasure to use. It's a pity more of us cannot share that experience.

Peace, out.

wildio likes this.
  19. ethan919

ethan919 , Aug 9, 2014 :
    I know patience is a virtue. So I guess I'll practice waiting, at least for a while longer.

20. Kaliban
    Eclair Aug 9, 2014