5 Tips to Getting Featured on @oneplus Instagram

1. Jess T.
    Graphic Designer Staff Member Feb 13, 2019

Jess T. , Feb 13, 2019 :
    5Tips-Forum.png

Hi everyone! I’m Jess, and I’m a Visual Content Strategist. A large part of my day-to-day is running a tight ship on the official global @oneplus IG. A little background about myself: I moved to China from Canada almost three years ago, one month before the launch of the OnePlus 3. In January of this year, I transferred offices to London, to be a part of the European team. Currently, I’m the only Canadian OnePlus employee, so nobody understands my love for a medium double double or eating maple syrup off fresh snow. Qui aime la tire sur la neige ici ?

When I first joined OnePlus, our official Instagram page was simply an avenue to share funny photos of the staff and Una. As we grew as a company, we wanted to show off the incredible photography that our community captured with OnePlus devices. What makes our OnePlus Instagram stand out against the rest? Our community. Without you, we couldn’t have reached two million followers on Instagram last week. As of writing time, there is a total of 1,513,567 photos under the hashtag #ShotonOnePlus. How incredible is that?! We scroll through so endless submissions and wish we could showcase them all, however we have a criteria on selecting photos to get featured on our global @oneplus Instagram account.

The number 1 question we get from users is, “How do I get featured on the account?” Here’s some good news, I’m going to spill the beans on how to get noticed, be featured on our page and possibly collaborate with us as a OnePlus photographer!

1) Always Use The Correct Hashtags
    This might be a no-brainer, but there are countless times where great photos have the wrong hashtags! We look exclusively for photos tagged with #ShotonOnePlus on Instagram. If you want a better chance at getting noticed, include the hashtag for the OnePlus device you are shooting with, be it the #OnePlus6T or #OnePlus3.

upload_2019-2-13_9-34-51.png
    We found this photo through the #OnePlus6T hashtag.

2) Capture Only The Best
    I love photos of pets. You love photos of pets. Everybody does. But a cute pet photo does not a OnePlus feature make. We’re most blown away by creative photos taken from new perspectives, new heights, new angles or simply photos where photographers are trying new things. We encourage everyone to be a little creative and try new shooting techniques, from Portrait Mode, to Manual Mode, to Nightscape.

upload_2019-2-5_16-15-37.png
    Low light, lensballs and luminosity! This striking photo immediately caught our eye.

3) Consistency Is Key
    When looking for photos to feature, I’ll sometimes take a moment and skim through your IG profile. What makes a memorable feed is consistent photography of what you’re interested in. Do you often post light streaks? Architecture? Black and white? Amazing coastal snaps from your town? Consistency and quality in your posts have a higher chance of getting noticed, and possibly featured more than once.

upload_2019-2-11_10-9-33.png
    Instagram user @BennyMathew consistently photographs with OnePlus devices of his travels.

4) Location, Location, Location
    We know many of you are avid travelers. Take advantage of your holiday spots and geotag your photos. Sometimes we want to highlight a certain city or country, so geotagging your posts helps us highlight what’s special about the area. For those who prefer to explore at home, this is also an opportunity to show off your town, so take advantage and start snapping postcard-worthy photos.

upload_2019-2-5_16-14-23.png
    Amsterdam has a lot of canals. We love sharing photos featuring these canals.

5) Be An Active Member Of The OnePlus Community
    Some of our favourite photographers on Instagram end up being friends and collaborators. One of our most recent partnerships is on our IGTV, titled Shot on OnePlus: Edit Like a Pro. These collaborators are OnePlus users who caught our eye for being active in the Instagram community, and posting great photos with OnePlus devices. You can read more about it in this Medium article. We notice when community members frequently comment and support each other on our @oneplus Instagram. We see you!

I hope these tips are helpful to you, and that it lifts the veil on how photos get selected on Instagram. Next time, I will show you how to get the best out of your OnePlus camera and take amazing photos. If you're on Instagram be sure to share your handle! Let’s grow our community! Never Settle.

2. luxuskamel
    Lollipop Feb 13, 2019

luxuskamel , Feb 13, 2019 :
    hey Jessie! How are you doing?

i quit posting on instagram because facebook is scary and i dont want them to know what im doing... still i use it to keep up whats happening with people around me

i really enjoy seeing so good photos on oneplus IG and also on photos.oneplus.com

oh and i didnt know oneplus is actively using medium :P

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019

3. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Feb 13, 2019

Cheetosdust , Feb 13, 2019 :
    Hello Jess,

Thanks for the five tips. :)

Here's one in return: link the Instagram account properly :p

4. Jess T.

Jess T. , Feb 13, 2019 :
    Try again, it works ;)

5. Jess T.

Jess T. , Feb 13, 2019 :
    Hi! So glad you enjoy seeing the photos featured on the account. I hope you come back to Instagram so that one day we could repost one of your photography!

6. luxuskamel
    Lollipop Feb 13, 2019

luxuskamel , Feb 13, 2019 :
    at least oneplus account liked one of my pictures :D

7. the_o2
    Marshmallow Feb 13, 2019

the_o2 , Feb 13, 2019 :
    Thanks for the tips,

For me the first and most important thing is to have a Instagram account which I don't have :p:p

Best of the luck you rest of you guys, keep posting the good pictures and get featured :):)

8. Aditya Dange
    Honeycomb Feb 13, 2019

G_plusone likes this.
  9. B.yashaswi
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 13, 2019

B.yashaswi , Feb 13, 2019 :
    Thanks for the post @Jess T. and i was following IG handle from a long time to be frank most of the pictures that i liked ended up as my wallpapers and i also liked nearly 90% of pics posted from the day i started following this is my small intro towards it and
    =My IG account Nameb.yashaswi

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019

G_plusone and Jess T. like this.
  10. Jess T.

Jess T. , Feb 13, 2019 :
    Thanks for being an integral part of our IG community :)

11. B.yashaswi
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 13, 2019

B.yashaswi , Feb 13, 2019 :
    Thanks for the reply and I'm definitely sure that this will grow into a very large thing and i wish to see it giving a tight competition to pixel phones in near future.

G_plusone likes this.
  12. T1546796845360
    Cupcake Feb 13, 2019

13. Fry B.
    Chief Bark Officer Staff Member Feb 13, 2019

Fry B. , Feb 13, 2019 :
    Hi @Jess T. I will stop submitting photos of my pet human then and work on my structure, form and using the incredible features on my OnePlus 6T! Thanks for the advice!

14. Jess T.

Jess T. , Feb 13, 2019 :
    Don't ever change sweet Fry! I'm down to cuddle you by my desk whenever your pet human is away during meetings <3

15. JorgeCS
    Donut Feb 14, 2019

16. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Feb 14, 2019

Shivang Joshi and Jess T. like this.
  17. meatandy
    Oreo Feb 14, 2019

meatandy , Feb 14, 2019 :
    Nice information , good to know.

18. Shivang Joshi
    Starting Point Expert Feb 14, 2019

Shivang Joshi , Feb 14, 2019 :
    Thanks for the tips. :)

Well, here you go. :D

SubhashNayak and Jess T. like this.
  19. atanu.biswas06
    Cupcake Feb 14, 2019

atanu.biswas06 , Feb 14, 2019 :
    when we get January security patch.... and we are requested to u please give us screen record feature, that's why we can record game or may more...

20. V1520232441221
    Cupcake Feb 14, 2019