5G Predictions in 2020

1. alexhpeterson
    US Brand Ambassador Jan 17, 2020

alexhpeterson , Jan 17, 2020 :
    5G.png

Hello everyone, hope the year is going well! Today I’m here with you to discuss thoughts on the future of 5G in the first year of the new decade: 2020. While it is difficult if not outright impossible to predict where technology will be in the next ten years, it is possible to take a look at 5G in a shorter time frame. From concerts to gaming, here are some thoughts and predictions of how 5G will evolve in the next twelve months.

To start out with, I want to cover the varieties of 5G. Currently there are three different types of 5G bands: low, mid, and high. Low band is most common around the USA at the moment with a wide range, but slowest speeds of the three bands. On the other hand high frequency bands have a short range, but incredibly fast speeds. Mid range splits the difference between the two.

While low band 5G is most widespread across the states; cities and more densely packed areas will more than likely see high frequency 5G infrastructure being installed if not brought online by the end of 2020. Sports, concerts, and other crowded events would have better coverage and speed through these high frequency bands. In more rural locations, low band frequency 5G will improve speeds while still covering a large number of people, albeit across a much broader area.

Will this impact daily life? To be honest I do not believe most mobile users will notice a drastic quality of life improvement over 4G in the short term. Since 2020 is the first true year for 5G in the US, there are bound to be some hiccups along the way. That isn’t a reason to pass on 5G though. Growing pains are present with any major tech rollout, and even 4G had issues in the beginning. The benefits of changing over earlier mean you will have a more future proof device.

But I foresee a shift in how technology is used on an individual level. Game streaming services like Google Stadia will gain traction with consistent internet speeds while phone users will get access to more cloud based services that feel as if they are running locally. Two of the largest differentiators in phone performance are processor speed and battery life. What if there was a phone that connected to a cloud computing server to supplement a smaller processor, while using the extra space for a larger battery?

Whatever happens, 5G is here to stay and it will be fantastic to watch the growth and evolution over the next year and decade. What do you think about the rise of 5G?

2. Karthick2301
    Eclair Jan 17, 2020

Karthick2301 , via OnePlus 6T , Jan 17, 2020 :
    yes we do support and we do encourage for the raise of 5G. But actually I've a doubt. First of all, are we getting the exact frequency of 4G....? Actually it sounds good about the raise of 5G but still we're not receiving the proper and exact frequency for 4G. So what's the use of raising 5G when we're not receiving the exact frequency quality of 4G? But what to do? The mistake is from service providers but not from the smartphone makers. And the raise of 5G from our favourite one plus, is always welcome.... congrats.... and let's expect it from the end of 2020.... All the very best and congrats....

3. TheMysticalShaman
    Honeycomb Jan 17, 2020

TheMysticalShaman , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Jan 17, 2020 :
    low and medium band 5G is just a small bump in speed over 4G LTE. my current 4G (A) LTE gave me a top download speed of 180Mbps , low download speed around 70Mbps. Low band could offer 200Mbps to 300Mbps, while mid band 400Mbps to 600 Mbps. basically, at the most increasing my speed by no more than four times. That doesn't impress me much. since fiber home internet has speed in excess of 1,000Mbps. I seriously doubt that true high band 5G will be widely in Austin Texas for quite awhile. Definitely not in 2020, possibly not in 2021 either. The USA is very slow in the internet spectrum. Basically, the USA infrastructure is basically primitive 3rd world. I don't see myself buying a 5 G Smartphone for at least 3 to 5 years from now. My OnePlus 7 Pro will be good enough for at least two more years. No need to upgrade until I can get True 5G with 1,000Mbps or faster. Then 1,000Mbps is just a bit over five times faster than my top download speed. Before I upgrade, I need at least ten times my current download speed.

5. Radeon962
    KitKat Jan 17, 2020

Radeon962 , Jan 17, 2020 :
    The infrastructure piece for mmWave 5G still needs a lot of work in most areas. Areas where there are high concentrations of people like stadiums will have it as the coverage area is much easier to cover.

Trying to place the necessary small cell wireless facilities in your average large city will be much more difficult and much more expensive. The line of sight is very short so the density requirement is high which means a lot of infrastructure is required which will take time.

Whether mmWave ever gets to rural areas is questionable due to the expense and the lack of a return on the investment by a few customers. A change in technology will most likely need to happen to get the ultra high speed to rural areas.

T-Mobile 5G that is rolling out has much greater coverage but in many cases its not much faster than LTE. It’s real benefit besides the wider coverage is it can provide better building penetration than mmWave.

5G Phones will come in 2020 but no reason to pay a premium for it at this point if you are the type that upgrades every year unless your city already has 5G infrastructure in place.

Will it change how you use your phone, who knows at this point. There are a lot of people looking at the what if’s and what is possible with much faster speeds.

Dial up was great in its day. 3G then 4G then LTE all brought about changes in how we interact with our computers or devices and the possibilities of what we could do with them.

It took some time for LTE to mature and 5G mmWave at least will take as long if not longer to reach its full potential whatever that may be.

Should be fun to watch.

6. Muhammad_Kashif_bahl
    Gingerbread Jan 17, 2020

Muhammad_Kashif_bahl , via OnePlus 6 , Jan 17, 2020 :
    yes we do support and we do encourage for the raise of 5G. But actually I've a doubt. First of all, are we getting the exact frequency of 4G....? Actually it sounds good about the raise of 5G but still we're not receiving the proper and exact frequency for 4G. So what's the use of raising 5G when we're not receiving the exact frequency quality of 4G? But what to do? The mistake is from service providers but not from the smartphone makers. And the raise of 5G from our favourite one plus, is always welcome.... congrats.... and let's expect it from the end of 2020.

7. Saliou
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 17, 2020

Saliou , Jan 17, 2020 :
    I think that 5G will be more interesting in the following years in the way that it'll accelerate our communications.

Cloud service is my favourite, many things can be dematerialized and permit a less consumption of energy specially for Cloud Gaming.

Overall, I very curious to see the evolution of this technology.

8. Vinay Maharshi
    Donut Jan 17, 2020

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  10. MKT_IRFAN3735
    Jelly Bean Jan 17, 2020

11. Sovilace
    Eclair Jan 17, 2020

Sovilace , Jan 17, 2020 :
    Major shift in Technology and I only replied to say this...
    The generation after 5G is what I'll be waiting to see.

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  12. IamMitesh
    Gingerbread Jan 17, 2020

13. Buzz85
    Eclair Jan 17, 2020

Buzz85 , via OnePlus Community App , Jan 17, 2020 :
    I have a few issues to raise.

I will have my Oneplus 7 Pro 5G for at least 2 years, but am I likely to receive a consistent 5G service in that time? Likely not!
    My carrier in the UK has been quick to rollout 5G into major cities, and some towns but for the most part we're still going to only be getting a 4G service. We're not likely to go 20 miles/ 30+ km just to get a 5G signal.
    In hindsight I'm likely paying for something I'm not really going to get. 5G phones should not have been released yet. Until you can walk outdoors and pick up a 5G signal without going out of your way, these handsets shouldn't have been released.

4G services, and I appreciate this is a carrier infrastructure issue and not necessarily something OnePlus is responsible for, are barely good enough. If I get a 5G signal on a daily I will just be getting the service I should have been getting on 4G. While your carriers website will say you live in an area that should get the highest signal quality / coverage, you're actually not. You're getting about 50/60% of the service advertised.

So it's likely the day to day difference won't be that great, we'll just get a 5G badge on our phone screens saying we're getting 5G, but it barely count. While this might be true, and there was a US carrier previously advertising fake 5G services, its probably not going to be that much better than the barely 4G service we get right now.

For anyone not on a 5G handset, you're probably better waiting for at least another 2 years.

drazik, AGROK, femiuex and 1 other person like this.
  14. Matt 80
    Lollipop Jan 17, 2020

Matt 80 , via OnePlus Community App , Jan 17, 2020 :
    Why have you just copied someone else's comment? ⬇️

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020

15. Karthick2301
    Eclair Jan 17, 2020

Deepak@1 likes this.
  16. Matt 80
    Lollipop Jan 17, 2020

Matt 80 , via OnePlus Community App , Jan 17, 2020 :
    I was replying to the person at the top of my comment.

Your comment was quoted below for comparison.

jeyaram s likes this.
  17. Karthick2301
    Eclair Jan 17, 2020

18. C1573970674598
    Donut Jan 17, 2020

C1573970674598 , Jan 17, 2020 :
    yes u r right in 4g we get 2 mb speed at max

19. k.takeda2017
    Cupcake Jan 17, 2020

20. laoqian
    Cupcake Jan 17, 2020