5G Telstra on OnePlus 8 Pro in Australia via OnePlus 7T Pro

1. ssabhyankar
    Donut May 10, 2020

ssabhyankar , via OnePlus 7T Pro , May 10, 2020 :
    Can someone please tell, if the 5G and 4G of Telstra VoWiFi & VoLTE work on on OnePlus 8 Pro in Australia, if the phone is purchased from becextech.com.au, or kogan.com.au.

We get CN version with Global ROM over there.

2. goran_oh
    Froyo May 10, 2020

3. RRM300
    Eclair May 10, 2020

RRM300 , May 10, 2020 :
    Hey

if I was you I would get the global model as the CN version doesn’t have band 28 . Which Optus and Telstra use a lot for 4G . Volte and vowifi should work . As for 5G it supports its bands and a Australian reviewer said they had no problems with 5G .

make sure you get the globe version not the globe rom

if you get the CN version with globe rom 4G will work but not in all areas . From my knowledge a ROM can’t not activate band 28 it’s hardware .

Last edited: May 10, 2020

4. happiboi
    Gingerbread May 10, 2020

happiboi , May 10, 2020 :
    Hi OP -

As i mentioned in the other thread, I bought mine from BecexTech. Indeed, as they advertised, it is a CN version with Global Rom. When I go to 'About Phone' - it states Model is IN2020, currrently running Oxygen OS 10.5.6.IN11AA. In fact, as soon as it was powered up - it searched for updates and applied the 10.5.6 update.

As for your question regarding 4G/5G - for this model that I am using, I have had zero issues with mine on Telstra 4G. I'm yet to test out 5G because currently during this whole COViD-19 situation i'm workign from home in an area that doesn't have 5G coverage. In the City there should be 5G coverage, so I'll test it out next time I'm there, having said that though, I'm not sure if I need to request 5G access from Telstra to be enabled on my current plan.

Also take note - the phone is only dual 4G if you are actively using both SIMs. If you disable second SIM, you'll get single SIM 5G access.

In regard to VoLTE/VoWiFi - I followed instructions to enable the switches etc. They are enable in settings and when calling, the Dialler app has HD icon but in the status bar there's no icons to indicate VoLTE or VoWiFi - further discussion over here on XDA: https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-8-pro/help/volte-vowifi-australia-t4095097

Cheers

ssabhyankar likes this.
  5. happiboi
    Gingerbread May 18, 2020

happiboi , May 18, 2020 :
    Also - here's a screenshot of the quick 5G test I did today on Telstra... definitely working, getting 558Mbps d/l not at full strength 5G signal =)

Screenshot_20200518-101702.jpg

goran_oh and ssabhyankar like this.
  6. cowboi007
    Donut May 18, 2020

cowboi007 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , May 18, 2020 :
    Hi All, I am relatively new to oneplus and I am waiting for my 8 pro global version to arrive. I live in Australia and wonder if what I've been told is true. I was informed that my phone company (telstra) would have to have an agreement with oneplus for the 8 pro to connect to 5g. Or can it be a person by person request? Is this correct and if so would anyone have any info on how I would go about asking my phone company (telstra) to enable it on my device. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks

7. cowboi007
    Donut May 18, 2020

cowboi007 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , May 18, 2020 :
    Ps, I did have a cn version of 8 pro which I ha E returned as it would not connect to telstra 5g here in Newcastle. My samsung did no issues. So cn version is definitely no good for Australia.

8. happiboi
    Gingerbread May 19, 2020

happiboi , May 19, 2020 :
    Just wanted to clarify - i'm definitely using the CN version (IN2020) that was purchased from BecexTech and I am getting Telstra 5G. Speedtest is in above screenshot

goran_oh and cowboi007 like this.
  9. ssabhyankar
    Donut May 31, 2020

ssabhyankar , May 31, 2020 :
    This motivated me to order My New 8 Pro from Becextech.com.
    Have you also ordered Tempered Glass and Case?
    Which Case do the send? and is it Tempered glass or just Screen protector film?

Thanks for your earlier answer.

10. happiboi
    Gingerbread May 31, 2020

happiboi , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 31, 2020 :
    Hey mate, from Becextech mine came with a film screen protector pre-installed on the phone and in the box, (as part of original packaging) , there is a clear TPU case from OnePlus with the words "Never Settle" embossed on there.

separate to that, I've ordered some other screen protectors (both film and glass) but due the curved nature of the screen, I'm thinking the glass ones won't be much good. I also ordered the OnePlus carbon case from ********** (using it now & loving it)

11. chazzer86
    Cupcake May 31, 2020

chazzer86 , May 31, 2020 :
    Can't seem to get 5g working on mine. bought from becextech as well. I'm on Telstra too

goran_oh likes this.
  12. happiboi
    Gingerbread May 31, 2020

happiboi , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 31, 2020 :
    silly question, but do you have 5G as part of your plan? only their newerr plans give access to the 5G network apparently

13. chazzer86
    Cupcake Jun 1, 2020

chazzer86 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 1, 2020 :
    I'm on the 60gb for $60 plan. had the note 10+ n had 5g working but got bored of that phone n switched to this. 5g trial running til end of this month just not sure why I can't access 5g.

14. ssabhyankar
    Donut Jun 2, 2020

ssabhyankar , Jun 2, 2020 :
    After reading to the post of @chazzer86, I suspect that there could be 2 Different models shipping out from becextech.com.au. that gave me an idea to write a mail to becextech guys about dispatching IN2020 Model for me which is pretty tested by @happiboi. Once again big thanks for putting this up on table for discussion. I think it is a responsibility to pass on correct piece information who is trying to buy OnePlus devices.
    I am sharing the thread of discussion with becextech, but at the end of the day, I want to put it right that if OnePlus is not launching in Australia, atleast the Import channel Service provider sell the correct product, which could be fully functional.

Feel free to addin your thoughts comments.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You replied to BecexTech AU Support System (BASS) on Jun 02, 2020 at 1:58 am
    I was going through articles and forums on oneplus.com, as i use oneplus from last 6years.
    Only CN version of global rom modeled IN2020 works with 5G in Australia.
    There was one person who purchased from becextech.com.au in early stock and got it. However, there is one person who mentioned yesterday that he too purchased from becextech.com.au but 5G does not work.
    I request you to ship mine with IN2020 model
    For reference :
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...ro-in-australia.1225092/#.XtUlUMKEbA4.twitter

From BecexTech AU Support System (BASS) on Jun 02, 2020 at 1:18 pm

Hi Swapnil,
    The phone that we will send is CN ver with Global ROM and it should work in GSM networks in Australia. We will pass your request (IN2020 model) to our warehouse team. However, we cannot guarantee that we can fulfill it.
    Best Regards,
    Ratna
    BecexTech Australia Support Team
    W: http://www.becextech.com.au
    E: info@becextech.com.au
    F: 1300 558 873
    [​IMG]

You replied to BecexTech AU Support System (BASS) on Jun 02, 2020 at 1:32 pm
    Hi Team, I really appreciate your help and quick response.
    But entire idea of buying the phone from becextech.com.au was to get IN2020 model. Else kogan was also an option. However, I found you guys to be reliable and trustworthy after reading about you.

Yesterday, I all of sudden came to know from OnePlus forum that you guys also have another model which is shipping out, so it was a concern for me.

OnePlus is very popular brand outside Australia, though they have not launched in here, it is OnePlus community who is trying to get handsets from you. The point here is, there is no point if you guys sell those models of phone which do not work in Australia.
    Obviously, it will help becextech.com.au name-fame game for Oneplus devices.
    So I would request you and you partner team to have look at it.
    If possible please forward my msg to import export department management to streamline.
    Thanks

15. chazzer86
    Cupcake Jun 2, 2020

chazzer86 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 2, 2020 :

ssabhyankar

After reading to the post of @chazzer86, I suspect that there could be 2 Different models shipping out from becextech.com.au. that gave me an idea to write a mail to becextech guys about dispatching IN2020 Model for me which is pretty tested by @happiboi. Once again big thanks for putting this up on table for discussion. I think it is a responsibility to pass on correct piece information who is trying to buy OnePlus devices.
    I am sharing the thread of discussion with becextech, but at the end of the day, I want to put it right that if OnePlus is not launching in Australia, atleast the Import channel Service provider sell the correct product, which could be fully functional.

Feel free to addin your thoughts comments.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You replied to BecexTech AU Support System (BASS) on Jun 02, 2020 at 1:58 am
    I was going through articles and forums on oneplus.com, as i use oneplus from last 6years.
    Only CN version of global rom modeled IN2020 works with 5G in Australia.
    There was one person who purchased from becextech.com.au in early stock and got it. However, there is one person who mentioned yesterday that he too purchased from becextech.com.au but 5G does not work.
    I request you to ship mine with IN2020 model
    For reference :
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...ro-in-australia.1225092/#.XtUlUMKEbA4.twitter

From BecexTech AU Support System (BASS) on Jun 02, 2020 at 1:18 pm
    Hi Swapnil,
    The phone that we will send is CN ver with Global ROM and it should work in GSM networks in Australia. We will pass your request (IN2020 model) to our warehouse team. However, we cannot guarantee that we can fulfill it.
    Best Regards,
    Ratna
    BecexTech Australia Support Team
    W: http://www.becextech.com.au
    E: info@becextech.com.au
    F: 1300 558 873
    [​IMG]

You replied to BecexTech AU Support System (BASS) on Jun 02, 2020 at 1:32 pm
    Hi Team, I really appreciate your help and quick response.
    But entire idea of buying the phone from becextech.com.au was to get IN2020 model. Else kogan was also an option. However, I found you guys to be reliable and trustworthy after reading about you.

Yesterday, I all of sudden came to know from OnePlus forum that you guys also have another model which is shipping out, so it was a concern for me.

OnePlus is very popular brand outside Australia, though they have not launched in here, it is OnePlus community who is trying to get handsets from you. The point here is, there is no point if you guys sell those models of phone which do not work in Australia.
    Obviously, it will help becextech.com.au name-fame game for Oneplus devices.
    So I would request you and you partner team to have look at it.
    If possible please forward my msg to import export department management to streamline.
    Thanks

my model is in2020 1591075979479.jpg

16. ssabhyankar
    Donut Jun 2, 2020

17. chazzer86
    Cupcake Jun 2, 2020

18. ssabhyankar
    Donut Jun 2, 2020

ssabhyankar , via OnePlus 3 , Jun 2, 2020 :
    Don't think it is related.

However in other thread, I read the 5G is disabled when you use dual sims. I hope you have tweaked with settings.
    In a post above @happiboi also mentioned about some stuff from forum.xda-developers.com hope you have tried that too.

19. chazzer86
    Cupcake Jun 2, 2020

chazzer86 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 2, 2020 :
    yeh I've got the dual SIM. have u got the link for that?

20. ssabhyankar
    Donut Jun 2, 2020