Was this comparison helpful?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Not interested

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Nilesh Sajnani
    KitKat Dec 7, 2014

Nilesh Sajnani , Dec 7, 2014 :
    Hello awesome folks! This is my 6666th post and I'll be comparing the OnePlus Silver Bullet and Xiaomi Piston v2.1 earphones. Before I get into the details, I must tell you that I've been using the Sennheiser CX-300II Precision earphones for over 2 years before getting these. Naturally, my expectations were high even though the Bullets/Pistons cost much less. Alright let's get to the comparison:

bullets.jpg vs pistons.jpg

Technical specifications (OnePlus Silver Bullets):

bullets specs.jpg
    Technical specifications (Xiaomi Pistons):

pistons specs.jpg

Build quality: The Xiaomi Pistons are built really well and they feel solid, compared to the somewhat fragile Silver Bullets. The braided cable on the Pistons is excellent and helps to avoid entanglement of the wires. The gold plated 3.5mm plug is also great compared to the ordinary plug on the Bullets. Not a big difference in cable length so I won't go into that. The Silver Bullets could have been made better but they really feel like cheap rip-offs of Apple earphones. The Pistons win here!

Sound: The deciding factor for purchasing any earphones (you don't say!). I tested both earphones using an app called "Ear/headphones test" which I randomly downloaded from Play Store. They both do justice to their specified frequency ranges and the bass is awesome on both! I'm using the Large earbuds from my Sennheisers on the Pistons, while I'm using the Medium earbuds for the Silver Bullets. The audio quality does not disappoint, considering the low price. If I really had to pick a winner, the Pistons edge ahead but that's purely because I've been using them for a couple of weeks longer. I'll update this particular section once I've given equal amount of time to the Silver Bullets! Stay tuned!

Making calls: I've used both earphones to make calls while I had music playing and they work well for me. Long press the center button and say "Call" followed by the name/number. No problems here and the call quality is decent. They're both great!

Remote Control: The placement of the remote control on the Silver Bullets is really convenient and the clicker is quite responsive. Personally, I don't like the remote control placement on the Pistons. The buttons and remote itself are well designed but not as responsive. Double-tap to change song - I find this to be much better on the Bullets than on the Pistons. Volume control is fine on both. I'll give this round to the Silver Bulets!

Comfort: The Silver Bullets are much more comfortable in-ear compared to the Pistons. I really prefer the soft clear earbuds of the Bullets than the rigid Pistons' earbuds (which is why I'm not even using them, as I mentioned earlier). The adjustable slider on the Bullets' wires is an advantage over the Pistons. I'd say the Bullets win here too!

Storage: The Silver Bullets and Xiaomi Pistons both came without any storage pouch and I miss that, having used a very convenient storage pouch for my Sennheiser earphones. I'm definitely not carrying my Bullets around in that hideous red plastic thing! The one provided with the Pistons is only good for its chocolate smell! I'm using my old worn-out Sennheiser pouch till I can get a nice new one. Alright no winner here!

Looks: The Xiaomi Pistons look and feel premium even though they're not as comfortable as the Silver Bullets. My colleagues didn't even care to ask about the Silver Bullets but were really interested to know about the Pistons on seeing them. Of course, looks don't matter a great deal when it comes to earphones but you like to stand out in a crowd, right?

Final verdict: The Xiaomi Pistons are still the better earphones and hence they're priced a bit higher ($22) than the Silver Bullets. Kudos to OnePlus for the Silver Bullets though, I've never been happier with $15 earphones that have such amazing sound and functionality. I'll continue using the Silver Bullets for another two weeks so that I can update you on how they compare to the Xiaomi Pistons sound-wise.

Special thanks to @Ivanpoocky13 for providing a legitimate link to order the original Xiaomi Pistons v2.1. The shipping from China didn't take too long either. I'd also like to request @gusuraman to add this review/comparison to his collection if it seems appropriate. Cheers and thanks for reading! :D

EDIT: I've now used the Silver Bullets for a little over 2 weeks and the sound quality is decent but could be a lot better. However, I will switch back to the Xiaomi Pistons and continue using them as they sound great at the same volume level and EQ settings :)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014

2. carbine30
    Marshmallow Dec 7, 2014

Axara, finaldentiny, ronoldo and 6 others like this.
  3. wazbuzz
    Jelly Bean Dec 7, 2014

wazbuzz , Dec 7, 2014 :
    Finally, a good review of the Silver Bullets. Been waiting for too long. Nicely done! :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014

4. blisside
    KitKat Dec 7, 2014

5. TigerXC
    Lollipop Dec 7, 2014

6. volteon
    Community Veteran Dec 7, 2014

volteon , Dec 7, 2014 :
    Fruity fruity!

7. TigerXC
    Lollipop Dec 7, 2014

8. Xephyr
    Eclair Dec 7, 2014

Xephyr , Dec 7, 2014 :
    Thread Complete +1? Nice comparison, I might look into the Pistons now. I need some decent earbuds. :)

finaldentiny and Nilesh Sajnani like this.
  9. rmg22384
    Cupcake Dec 7, 2014

Nilesh Sajnani likes this.
  10. meatandy
    Oreo Dec 7, 2014

meatandy , Dec 7, 2014 :
    Very nice review.
    Dont wear them myself but will keep this in mind for my kids next pair.
    Thanks for your efforts.

Nilesh Sajnani likes this.
  11. K.P. Smith
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 7, 2014

K.P. Smith , Dec 7, 2014 :
    Nice review. Same conclusion I came to. The pistons are nice, I dig them, but seriously for $15 the bullets are great. If you have pistons should you buy bullets? No. If you have bullets should you buy pistons? No. But if you're shopping then don't pass over the bullets simply based on their price.

12. kingdech
    Gingerbread Dec 7, 2014

13. TheCount
    Gingerbread Dec 7, 2014

14. alexlam24
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 7, 2014

15. vantt1
    Jelly Bean Dec 8, 2014

vantt1 , Dec 8, 2014 :
    I'm not a big fan of canalphones, but the Xiaomi Pistons are starting to look like a really attractive option...

Great comparison!

16. K.P. Smith
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 8, 2014

K.P. Smith , Dec 8, 2014 :
    I have those too and I wouldn't recommend them. I don't like then at all. They are uncomfortable, they look and feel cheap, and don't sound much if any better than the $15 and $20 headphones being discussed.

DreamerJ and Nilesh Sajnani like this.
  17. blisside
    KitKat Dec 8, 2014

blisside , Dec 8, 2014 :
    guys he bought two headphones and compared them that doesn't mean that he has all the money in the world to compare what you want to his headphones

bottom line don't ask him to compare them with other stuff
    just enjoy his comparison or leave

ParthThakur, iTrollz, TigerXC and 2 others like this.
  18. Beyoncé
    KitKat Dec 8, 2014

19. TigerXC
    Lollipop Dec 8, 2014

TigerXC , Dec 8, 2014 :
    Tl;Dr :3
    Please put transcript in vocaroo form. :p
    I can then imagine the comparison audibly. :3

ronoldo, iTrollz, omiroks and 2 others like this.
  20. blisside
    KitKat Dec 8, 2014

blisside , Dec 8, 2014 :
    you never answered the questions who are the two missing titans in you sig :3

Beyoncé likes this.