6GB vs 8GB

1. Serbian Overlord KitKat Dec 27, 2017

Serbian Overlord, Dec 27, 2017 :
    Is 2GB extra worth the premium price? I'm wondering because all other flagships (Pixel 2, 2XL, S8, S8+, Essential, etc.) have 4GB and run buttery smooth on Snapdragon 835 SoC. Does anyone have a real life experience with both to either confirm or deny if it's worth the extra $60?

Ranjithsmart and W1514254203065 like this.
  2. marios1861 Donut Dec 28, 2017

marios1861, Dec 28, 2017 :
    I got the 6gb variant and I can tell you that compared to any phone out there right now its a very smooth experience and if you are wondering my settings report an average of about 4gb average ram use. I got this because I never use much storage space anyway so 128 gb just sounded like extreme overkill. You get about 50 gb of free storage right off the bat with the 6 gb version tho which sounded pretty weird to me but even 50 gb is way more than I'll ever use

3. Hydra Bob Starting Point Expert Dec 28, 2017

Hydra Bob, Dec 28, 2017 :
    I don't have experience with both but I will say that with my 8gb model I hardly ever find myself using half of that, let alone any amount that would give me any noticable advantage over someone with a 6gb model. Like I'm assuming most people did I bought the 8gb model for the 128gb of storage and justified the extra memory to myself as future proofing, even though I'm fairly sure by the time that extra 2gb would come into play the rest of the hardware will be pretty thoroughly outdated.

4. thesmegger Cupcake Dec 28, 2017

thesmegger, Dec 28, 2017 :
    Hi
    apps and games are getting bigger and more hungry for memory and power, remember when phones shipped with 1gb , things change and its good to have specs capable of lasting years.
    I went with 8gb for the 128gb storage, it has never ever slowed down in any circumstance, even with loads of apps still open, its just soo smooth. Have friends with S8 and it just destroys them.

Cheers

5. Rohan.M Froyo Dec 28, 2017

Rohan.M, Dec 28, 2017 :
    6 GB is more than enough for now. You simply can't use whole 8 GB no matter what you are running.

6. stevensirovai Donut Dec 28, 2017

stevensirovai, Dec 28, 2017 :
    8gb is slightly overkill and 128gb most people also don't need.
    But I'm a posh **** with pocket squares so I can't allow myself to buy the 6gb version. So I bought the 8gb one.
    Reasons man.

Damonp87, drdebian, AdamWls and 6 others like this.
  7. jlesteves4 Gingerbread Dec 28, 2017

jlesteves4, Dec 28, 2017 :
    Either one you go with you should have a buttery smooth experience. I'm pretty sure the idea was to go with 6/64 and 8/128 so they could make tech headlines and stand out from their flagship competition. Where is as the consumer prosper is that the phone are now essentially future proof. (As long as the batteries hold out anyway) The OP5T will easily be a 4 - 5 year device where most device including flagship have an average life span of 18 months. Great hardware and community builds will keep the OP5 & OP5T going for a long time.

Think about what other flagships offer and what OnePlus offers. An argument for the price difference can easily be made against the camera, and even the OP5 & OP5T are no slouches in this department either. Minor software updates can really improve the cameras.

$499 & $559 for these specs, design and support are amazing.

Magnera and TheUwaisPatel like this.
  8. SubzeroDev Froyo Dec 28, 2017

SubzeroDev, Dec 28, 2017 :
    You should consider based on storage need (64/128), that's more relevant to the price difference.

TheUwaisPatel and Hydra Bob like this.
  9. allisterr Honeycomb Dec 28, 2017

allisterr, Dec 28, 2017 :
    No, ram is not the question. The question is do you need 128gb or 64gb storage. I didn't notice that that 5t doesn't support micro sd so If I'm travelling or on holiday and like taking 4k video. Then 64gb won't be enough. But it should be okay if you backup overnight.

The ram isn't a problem. Google designed android oreo to work on their Pixel 2 phones which only has 4gb of ram. And Google knows that it'll still be buttery smooth with 4gb and give you the pure and best android experience their users are after. Remember the pixel is supposed to show what android can do and show those apple fan boys that android is fast and offers the same speed in doing tasks etc.

So I honestly don't think you'll notice the difference real world between 8gb and 6gb since not many manufacturers are even using this yet.

I have the 6gb model and its perfectly fine. The only worry is that the free space won't be enough when I go on holiday but it's not that big if a deal.

If you intend to get tons of large games which can be 2gb each then maybe you'd consider the 128gb. But if you're an average user the 64gb is fine. It depends on your needs. I doubt I'll keep the phone long enough before the storage annoys me. New tech is always coming out :)

gotshoaib likes this.
  10. ritesh808 Honeycomb Dec 28, 2017

ritesh808, Dec 28, 2017 :
    4GB RAM today is a bit cheap. I can understand Google doing it to show how optimised Android is, but, it's laughable to call the S8 and S8+ buttery smooth. 6 GB RAM is where the sweet spot is, 8 GB is overkill. The Pixel 2, LG V30, can't hold as many apps in memory as the Oneplus 5 or 5T or even the OP3/3T without reloading.

For smooth performance today, you don't need more than 4GB, but, the ROM has to be very well optimised for that to be true. It's quite shocking how, even today, there are still only a few OEMs that can do a well optimised ROM. Samsung definitely ISN'T one of them. Sony, who are the largest contributor to AOSP apart from Google, suck at optimising their own ROMs. LG, admittedly, are doing a much better job recently. The V30 is actually quite well optimised for performance. HTC have done a decent job, but still nowhere nearly as good as Google or Oneplus. All the others are somewhere between suck and meh.

gotshoaib and Hydra Bob like this.
  11. Hoots2 Gingerbread Dec 28, 2017

Hoots2, Dec 28, 2017 :
    I moved 58 gigs of music to my new phone. I have almost every song from the 50s & 60s.. My ZTE Axon 7 would only handle a 64 gig SD card, I had it full.....

drdebian and Hydra Bob like this.
  12. Onkar.Singh KitKat Dec 28, 2017

Onkar.Singh, Dec 28, 2017 :
    I got the 8/128 ... One because the 6 came only with 64GB ... and Two because 8GB is more future proofed ... It does not take long for apps and tech to consume more for better performance ... Needless to say that I intend to enjoy my 5T for more that 3 years .... Even my last device is more that 4years and still is better than a lot of devices out in the market ... :) but it was just a 16GB storage so went for a 5T .. OP5T because I feel that the next Oneplus devices would now be out of range for me. .. I would guess that the next device would be launched with another 20% hike in the price ... :)

gotshoaib and Hydra Bob like this.
  13. sdny8 Donut Dec 28, 2017

sdny8, Dec 28, 2017 :
    I got the 8 as well, mainly for future proofing. My only wonder is if the battery life would be even better on the 6GB version.

I do however tip my hat to OP. I consider the "premium" price quite affordable considering an extra 64GB of storage and 2GB of memory. Most OEMs charge a hundred dollars more for the extra storage alone.

gotshoaib likes this.
  14. Sistecchie Honeycomb Dec 28, 2017

Sistecchie, Dec 28, 2017 :
    Bought the 8/128 due to missing sdxc-card feature. I need lots of space for music and movies (for example GoT series 1-7 in .mp4 when travelling), 64 GB storage are insufficient then very fast. Aside this, I noticed that apps and games getting bigger and bigger imo. Wanted to be on the safe side, also. In average, 3,8 GB RAM are used. For me its nice to have enough RAM left. Btw, fon runs snappy and smoothly all the time. At least, its a matter of money, of course.

15. G_Nitin_Chhajed_CJuX Honeycomb Dec 28, 2017

16. AJITHKUMAR.K.K Gingerbread Dec 28, 2017

AJITHKUMAR.K.K, Dec 28, 2017 :
    Oreo need only 4GB for smooth performance. Extra GB will handle commonly used applications in the background without closing, give a feel of speedy launch. RAM hungry games also work smooth on surplus Ram. My 1+5 shows the usage of more than 4 GB RAM in several occasions. It may be needed more RAM for future OS versions probably in 2018 itself. So 6GB is genuine. It depends on the working needs, so is quite personal to choose suitable models from several available in the market.

17. xSyna Donut Dec 28, 2017

xSyna, Dec 28, 2017 :
    I average 4.1gb ram use, so imo yes, because it's more future proof.

18. mdp01 Eclair Dec 28, 2017

mdp01, Dec 28, 2017 :
    It not the 6GB vs 8GB that made up my mind, it was a 128G vs 64G for the storage.

19. ViW1p Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 28, 2017

ViW1p, Dec 28, 2017 :
    Same for me... the extra 64GB was the deciding factor for me.

6 or 8 GB with also nearly stock Android (Oxygen OS is very light), unless you are not doing some very serious multi-tasking, are over-killed anyway to me at this day and age.

Hydra Bob likes this.
  20. WilsonTran Cupcake Dec 28, 2017

Damonp87 likes this.