6T Bootloader Unlocking

1. Brien
    Eclair May 9, 2021

Brien , May 9, 2021 :
    First off a caution that this is going to be a long post.

I've been using OnePlus devices since the OnePlus One using the forum and getting a invite to buy back in 2016 I think, something like that, it may have been 2015. Usually I buy from OnePlus so I don't have to work through as much paperwork to use the phone the way I want, but a couple of years ago I bought a 6T for my wife knowing she would want the stock setup and thinking a valid warranty might even be a good thing for her. Today we went out and got a new iPhone for her, she really doesn't want to do anything outside the norm and has no patience for troubleshooting and resolving issues. I'm going to give the 6T to my son, and it looks like there will be no new Oxygen OS for the device. That's fine for today, but one day soon he is going to want a more recent OS and I learned that LineageOS has an Android 11 based version for it.

This is the T-Mobile version of the 6T so first I went and unlocked the SIM (We're using it on T-Mobile but it was locked and I paid cash for the device so I started there.) OEM unlock was still greyed out so I changed the settings under SIM settings somewhere and enabled OEM unlocking. Next I learn that I also need a token from OnePlus before I can actually unlock the bootloader.

Most of this work was done using Linux. I don't like Windows, but I do have it as a second OS on my computer because some of the software I need for work is Windows only, like Tableau. Windows also works better with my printer, to be honest, though apparently I can setup things in Linux, every time a major update comes along my printer settings get overwritten to default and stop working, then I have to go through the process of figuring out which settings have to be added again. Anyway...

I had to switch to Windows (I thought) to get the downloaded program to work for the unlock code. It said something like fastboot_windows.zip and I just assumed that would be necessary. Of course, in Windows when I switched to fastboot the device wasn't detected, so I switched back to Linux and everything worked fine.

It seems funny that in Linux once I have adb and fastboot installed correctly it works from any directory, while Windows requires being in a particular folder. I'm sure there is something in Windows that differs from my Linux environment where fastboot works...

Likely anyone using Linux is already a few steps ahead of me here, just thought I would leave this around in case anyone else has similar issues. I use an Arch installation and there is a pacman android-tools package that has everything you need. In my case I did have to use sudo before any fastboot commands execute, so watch out for that.

Now apparently I have 7 days to wait before I get an unlock token so that I might complete this procedure. In the future I will sign an agreement with OnePlus agreeing to having no warranty in exchange for the freedom I want if that's what it takes, it wasn't this way the last time around and maybe it's all because of T-Mobile.

I've never permanently bricked a OnePlus, and I even installed a Linux distro onto the OPO for a few months. To be fair, I think it still flashes the Linux splash screen at startup before booting into whatever ROM it's on it now, so it wasn't far from being a paperweight. If I were to brick a device I wouldn't go crying to the manufacturer, but lots of others probably would and I guess that's why we have these hurdles.

Still, waiting a week for an unlock token is a bit much.

3. Brien
    Eclair May 16, 2021

Brien , May 16, 2021 :
    My guess is that some type of malware was downloaded through facebook, but it could just be a coincidence. I would see about asking around with the tech people here or directly with OnePlus, I might be able to fix such a problem in person but doubt I can help much purely online like this.

4. W1621993499800
    Cupcake May 26, 2021