#7DayReviewChallenge + A Non-Professional OnePlus 5T Review (Real Person/Pictures)

?

Is there anything else you want me to discuss more? (please mention details in comments)...

1. OxygenOS

25.0%
  2. Charging

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Display

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Camera

25.0%
  5. Vibration

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Audio

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Fingerprint Scanner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Accessories

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

50.0%
  1. antidanis
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2017

antidanis , Nov 28, 2017 :
    My name is Danis. This is my legitimate non-professional review of the OnePlus 5T 128GB. I'm not a blogger or a YouTuber, and OnePlus did not compensate me for this review.

Day One: Unboxing Day

The day has finally come! I received a notification from FedEx that my 5T is ready for pickup in all of its glory. How do you deliver something from Los Angeles County to Los Angeles County through Memphis, Tennessee?! LOL. I was hoping to get the phone the next day, and it took FedEx a few days with the phone starting at City of Industry, CA .... then going to Los Angeles, then going to their sorting center in Memphis, TN .... then going back to Los Angeles... I had a lonely 5T-free Thanksgiving. Hey, at least OnePlus shipped it out within a few hours. So... I went to FedEx. Then, this happened.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everything was very well packaged and felt very high quality.

The 5T is a little bigger in person than I imagined it, in a good way. It reminded me of my good old Nexus 6 minus the bulkiness. I missed that phone's screen size. That whole shift/trend back to 5.5-inch phones felt like downgrading. It felt like watching a 55-inch TV after you get used to watching a 65-inch TV. Finally, a 6-inch phone for me! Excellent. On top of that, the 5T fit perfectly in my palm. I also got a car charger, a bumper case, a regular case and a tempered glass screen protector.

These were the most expensive screen protector and car charger I ever bought in my life! I feel like I need a screen protector protector for my screen protector so that it protects my screen protector. With OnePlus always having such great pricing, I felt a little hurt when I had to pay that much for a screen protector and car charger. However, to be fair, these are seriously the nicest screen protector and car charger I've ever seen. The screen protector fit perfectly and DID NOT attract fingerprints. No, really. OMG. The oleophobic coating on it actually works. Yes!!!! No huge smudges. It also fit perfectly with the carbon fiber bumper case. But, I do hope it never breaks. I'm so not down to pay another 20 bucks + 25 bucks shipping for a replacement screen protector. 45 bucks for a screen protector is way too steep, and I will probably never need $100 worth of accessories to qualify for free shipping because I already bought most of the stuff. I wish USA shipping was free or reasonable at around $5-10 and screen protectors cost $10-15.

The dash car charger is beautiful and feels like metal on top/plastic in the bottom. See photos.

Regarding the bumper case, I was honestly pleasantly surprised. On photos, it always comes out as that cheesy bright checkered carbon fiber print, and I was scared that it would be really bright and cheesy in person. I wished they made a regular black one. However, the one I got was not as bright. It's definitely bearable and actually pleasant. It feels like one of those Spigen cases but with carbon fiber. Not bad at all.

The regular silicone case was no good. I felt like it did not offer any protection. The whole bottom port side was completely exposed. If I were you, I would buy the bumper case. It also fits really well with the screen protector.

OK, now to using the phone. I'll keep updating this post.

A small background:

I had the Nubia Z17 before buying the OnePlus 5T. I got it at an eBay auction for $320, and it had all the specs I thought I wanted .... rear fingerprint scanner, the Snapdragon 835, waterproofing, dual sim, fast charging, unlocked bootloader... the works. It was super legit on paper and a steal for $320! When I got it, it was a beautiful device, and I was happy until I used it for a few months. The speaker sounded like crap (a phone that doesn't sound good when making calls is just disappointing). There were no nice accessories that I could find. There was almost NO aftermarket development. My choices were either the stock ROM in Chinese (I only speak English and Russian) or the aftermarket Mokee rom. I was able to flash TWRP on it and installed the Mokee rom. It was a nightmare for a few months. Non-working car Bluetooth should about summarize it. 10 detailed bug reports from me to developers, and none were fixed. Yet, I was still willing to wait until the software improves. I was really lucky to have dropped it. It shattered. It had a case and screen protector on, and it still shattered. Bad glass. I dropped it probably from 4 feet at most. It fell off a desk. As a coincidence, I saw that the OnePlus 5T was about to come out in a couple of weeks, so I started saving for this phone. I used my old Nexus 5 until then....with LineageOS (nice) and 3-hour battery life (not nice). It sucked. I'm so happy to have my 5T now.

Showtime.

Day Two: Design/Display Day

I always thought I needed a 2K phone. My Nexus 6P was a 2K phone, and I thought that it was an absolute requirement. Then I realized that my wife had a OnePlus 5. I borrowed it from her before I bought the 5T, and the screen was just fine to my surprise. Sure, you could see pixels if you held it 3 inches away from your eyes, but that's not my use case. I also don't tend to attach my phone to my face for VR purposes, so that's a non-issue for me.

I am happy with the 5T's display. It's bright, clear, and the colors/blacks show up nicely. It looks sharp, and it does not at all look pixelated. It feels even better than the OnePlus 5 display. It also uses less battery than a 2K display, so I would now actually prefer it to a 2K display.

As far as the hardware design, I am very pleased. I never liked the front fingerprint sensor and hardware buttons, and I was EXTREMELY happy to see them gone. The phone fits into my palm naturally, and the fingerprint scanner is nice and responsive. The weight and thickness feel just right.

Thank you for not using a curved display like the Galaxy S8. I'm very happy with the regular flat display. It's a really cool story in theory ...until I actually saw a guy at my office trying to put on a screen protector. He got some fancy curved screen protector and had to use some kind of suction cup and ultraviolet light to cure some glue, so that the screen protector fits the curved....no, thank you.

I wish the speakers were stereo and in the front (the ones on the Nexus 6P were great), but the little guy in the corner of the 5T sounds surprisingly good. It is, however, easy to cover up with your fingers when playing a game in landscape mode. Also, the sound sounds a bit one-sided. I would rate the speaker as a 4/5. It sounds great, but I would prefer a more Nexus 6P-like setup with speakers in stereo and on the front of the phone.

The phone call speaker quality is really good. I can hear the people OK. The mics work well. People can hear me OK.

The 3.5mm headphone port is an excellent thing to have. I fly in airplanes. I use headphones. I use credit card swiping machines that plug into headphone ports. I don't want to attach some strange cable every time. Thank you.

The power button and volume rocker are in good positions and feel crisp. I also love the manual silent/do not disturb/ring switch. I actually started using it, and I like it a lot. The vibration motor feels just right. It's great that it's in the middle of the phone.

I saw a detailed teardown video on YouTube by JerryRigEverything. I like his videos. He really goes into detail. The insides seem high quality.

All the reports of waterproofness are obviously false. It seems to be splash resistant and very well built, but I would not swim with the 5T. I would prefer a waterproof phone, but I'm totally OK with what I have because I don't usually swim with my phones. However, if I had a choice of two similar phones at similar prices with one being waterproof and the other one not, I would probably pick the waterproof one. It's good insurance. You should watch this video to get a good idea of what you'll find inside the 5T. I'm not going to take mine apart.

The battery life seems excellent so far. I've used the phone for a day or two, and it's holding up nicely. Bluetooth works really well.

What bugs me a little are the bright red and white charging cables. They don't match anything in my life! The white kills it. I don't like white electronics. My car interior is black, my desk is dark wood, my living room recliner is black. I really wish the dash wall plug was black and the charging cable was black and red. At least if I had the option to buy a black cable or a red cable with black tips and a black wall plug, I probably would. There's no way I'm the only person who wants that. That would be so much cooler! Imagine a nice black cable with a red tip that says 1+. Or a red cable with a black tip. It would match the phone a lot better and feel more modern. Finally, I feel that the car charging cable is a little bit too long. It's all over the place. I would love the option to buy a shorter cable for the car and for it to also not have any white in it.

Last but not least, I would like to mention the importance of the OnePlus 5T having proper wireless bands (thank you). So many people overlook this! Sure, you could get the Galaxy S8+ from eBay for under 500, the Exynos version SM-G955F or FD with an unlocked bootloader and install LineageOS or something to get rid of Samsung bloat... right? Or a Nubia Z17 and flash it with something else. Or some other unlocked international phone. Well, you would most likely be missing band 30 or another band. Seriously, look it up. In Los Angeles, on AT&T, that to me means that instead of 40-50 mbps download speeds on LTE... I would get like 4 mbps on LTE without band 30. That would suck and is definitely a dealbreaker. Right now, I'm getting good LTE network speeds on AT&T in Los Angeles with the OnePlus 5T. That's around 55 mbps downloads and 30 mbps uploads. Your mileage will probably vary, but please do not overlook LTE bands. Just because a phone will work on a wireless network does not mean that it will work fast. I learned this the hard way.

Look, I updated the background to a photo of my wife.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017

Crystal Z. likes this.
  2. antidanis
    Gingerbread Nov 29, 2017

Stickied Post
    antidanis , Nov 29, 2017 :
    Day Three: Camera Day

I really like the camera, but I am not a camera nerd. I just want simple, clean and clear photos and videos. I want them to look good during the day and night, and I want my autofocus to work well. I got all that with the 5T. I have no idea what ISO, white balance, aperture/shutter speed mean. I think that white balance means how much white is in the photo. I have no clue what slower or faster shutter speed does. Is it for motion or light? Aperture sounds like some move they use in ballet. Exposure is either something indecent or what politicians want. ISO is the format you use when you need to burn a CD or DVD from an image. I know that HDR probably makes photos clearer. I could have researched all of the above just for the purposes of writing some impressive-sounding review, but it would not be an honest one. For me, as a user, camera simplicity is key. I am not a photography aficionado, and I am not interested in becoming one. I just want to click and get a decent photo every time.

Still, I wanted to test out my new camera. I heard that many of the improvements had to do with night mode, so I took it out to Chinatown in Los Angeles and Little Tokyo to take some night shots. The portrait mode/depth effect also worked really well. I was very, very happy with the camera and the fast AF. It was fast AF. Also, the front camera takes good quality selfies. I took a couple for good measure. I wish the video camera had hardware image stabilization, but I am perfectly happy other than that. The camera software was very easy and intuitive to use. I couldn't find the pro mode. I didn't need it. The videos and photos were crisp and clear. I feel like the camera took some better night shots than my wife's OnePlus 5 (I hope I win this contest, so that she gets a 5T too).

Verdict: As a non-pro photographer who is only interested in taking occasional pictures, I am extremely pleased with the camera - both the quality and performance. If I were to improve one thing, it would be adding hardware image stabilization.

Here are several shots I took. I was not trying to make them look good or anything. I don't live in some cool hipster forest. They were just shots taken while hanging out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017

Crystal Z. likes this.
  3. antidanis
    Gingerbread Nov 30, 2017

Stickied Post
    antidanis , Nov 30, 2017 :
    Day Four: Performance Day

The more I use the OnePlus 5T, the more I like it. It's a combination of a perfectly fitting oleophobic screen protector, bea5Tly charging (more on that tomorrow), a nice case, a brilliant screen and excellent performance.

The phone is seriously fast. How fast? Well, I haven't been able to slow it down yet. It's buttery smooth. I opened 20 apps, and Android memory management didn't shut any down. Then, on top of that, I opened Asphalt and Real Racing 3 at the same time, and I could seamlessly switch between the two huge games. The phone has plenty of power! It's also very nice to see that I'm only using 4 our of the 8 available gigs of RAM at any given time. That gives me room if I ever need to start a huge app or for future updates.

I remember when the OnePlus 1 came out. I won a social media post contest for the opportunity to buy one. Those were the days! I got it out of the box, and my AnTuTu benchmark score was somewhere around 55000. I almost jumped for joy. I can't believe that was in 2014! How fast time flies.

It's 3 years later now, and my AnTuTu score on the 5T is at 180,832! I couldn't believe my eyes. I wasn't even trying. This is on MY device, not some freakish lab test version with nitrogen cooling. I didn't even shut my background apps down! Wait a minute, that's higher than the Note 8 usually gets ... on their optimized test model. I could probably break 200K if I stripped the 5T of any extra apps. Tried it again. Same result. It has to be because of the combination of fast storage, great chipset/ram and software. Impressive, OnePlus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, I decided to take a look at CPU-Z. I found everything I expected to find. In my opinion, the 400+ ppi screen and the Adreno 540 work together really well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the sensors are really nice and responsive. I tested them with games and Google Sky Map. Very nice and smooth.

The fingerprint reader is really fast and accurate. I haven't noticed any problems with it at all.

The face unlock works really well. It recognizes my face in much less than a second. I personally prefer a fingerprint scanner combined with complex passwords for my security purposes, but if you're into face unlocking, the face unlocker works really well on the 5T.

To sum up, the 5T aced the performance day with flying colors! I am very, very happy as far as performance goes.

The only slow thing that I could possibly find was that the phone still has a USB 2.0 port. If it makes the phone cheaper, then I would actually prefer it. I flash images or custom recoveries onto the phone probably 10 times per year... at most. A USB 2.0 port will take 10 seconds longer to transfer the OS/update than a USB 3.1 port. That's 100 seconds per year. It took me longer to write this paragraph than the delay that the USB 2.0 port will cause in my life. It's definitely not an issue for me. If you transfer huge video files from your phone to your computer by using a USB cable all day long, this might be an issue for you. Most users probably won't even notice it.

I'm pleased.

4. antidanis
    Gingerbread Dec 1, 2017

Stickied Post
    antidanis , Dec 1, 2017 :
    Day Five: Dash Charge/Power Consumption Day

OnePlus 5T's power management is excellent. I'm also absolutely in love with dash charging. I wouldn't change a thing!

I try to keep my batteries between 30 and 70 percent at all times to preserve the life of lithium ion. Now that batteries are not replaceable, that has become even more of a thing for me. I hate when batteries lose capacity too quickly. I almost never charge to 100 or drain below 30, and I don't like it when phones get hot because it's bad for batteries. I usually root my phones and install a charge limiter. It automatically disconnects power when the phone hits 70, even if you leave it plugged in. What really helped is that I was able to install TWRP and root on day one! The developer community for OnePlus is awesome! Usually you have to wait a month or two until you're able to get a TWRP build.

OnePlus 5T's power consumption is excellent. I mean really excellent. I use up almost exactly 40 percent of battery between the start of my work day and going to bed. I don't need to charge in the middle of the day or overnight at all. I usually check e-mails, browse the internet, use a few apps here and there and use Google Maps for navigation. I have a couple Bluetooth devices connected at all times. So far, 5T's power consumption has been the best I've ever had in any phone.

The claim that you get a day's power in half an hour is very true. For me, it's more like a day's power in 20 minutes. Dash charging is seriously bea5Tly. It feels about 2-3 times faster than QuickCharge 2 or 3... and the phone doesn't get hot! It's amazing. It charges at over 3000 mAh without overheating! That's less than an hour for 100%!

I don't even have to charge at home on weekdays anymore. If I wanted to, I could only charge in the car and be completely fine with it. My commute to work is only 20 minutes! That's just excellent, OnePlus.

The battery health is also normal out of the box (93% is what I get with most new phones). Here are several battery app screenshots to give you some numbers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those are actually real! LOL. It's a combination of amazingly fast charging and great OxygenOS power management.

I wish car chargers and extra wall chargers were a bit cheaper, but you really do get what you pay for.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017

the_reckoner likes this.
  5. antidanis
    Gingerbread Dec 2, 2017

Stickied Post
    antidanis , Dec 2, 2017 :
    Day Six: OxygenOS Day

I am an absolute lover of stock or near stock Android. I loved it in my Nexus devices. I flashed Cyanogen or Lineage on all my Samsung devices. I loved the OnePlus 1. I loved the OnePlus 3.

Good news: you don’t have to use any of the extras that OxygenOS comes with. You can make it look and feel like completely stock Android with relatively little effort. All that while benefiting from excellent support, very stable software and great power management that comes with OxygenOS. I probably won’t even be installing Lineage when it comes out. I do, however, wish that there weren’t as many extra random features.

So far, I have two really small issues with the 5T. On the app launcher that came with OxygenOS, there is a dot next to all newly installed applications until you open them at least once. When I restored all my apps with Titanium, every single app had a dot next to it. I couldn’t find a way to turn it off, and there’s no way I was going to click every single one of my 100+ apps to make the dots disappear. I gave up and installed the stock Google launcher. It solved the problem really quickly.

The second thing is that when you type something, the keyboard’s space button is right next to the home button (since there are no hardware buttons). One small swipe of the finger, and you’re completely switching to a different screen when you meant to press the space bar. I probably do it once a day. I wish there was a way to hide the navigation buttons while typing something. It’s probably already in the works. I saw several others having the same issue.

Night mode may be useful for some, but it makes the screen look uncomfortably yellowish for me with really weird colors. I don’t like it and won’t be using it.

I also won’t be using the gestures. I can see how some people may find it useful, but I’m not the right person for that. I just don’t like drawing Ws on my screen to do stuff.

I really like the status bar customization and find it very useful. You can see how much data you consume, for example. I wish there was an option to display the clock in the center instead of on the right. It’s also excellent to able to choose what icons you see.

Regarding audio tweaking, I’ll be skipping that one. I can’t even really tell the difference with the little phone speaker. I don’t have 300 dollar headphones to mess with those settings and be able to hear something.

Gaming DND is very useful. You can block notifications, etc. Very nice. I like it.

Pocket mode is annoying. If you hold your phone in some way that covers the top portion, a pocket mode screen will come on. It happens to me once every couple days.

All in all, OxygenOS is very stable. I have had zero technical problems with everything so far. I find all the additional features except Gaming DND and status bar customization gimmicky and will not be using them. But it’s not nearly as bad as Samsung. The good news is that it’s REALLY easy to turn all that stuff off and never look back.

One thing that I would add to OxygenOS is the ability to see how much used and available RAM you have on the app switcher screen of the launcher… the one where you see all the open apps. It would be cool if it told you how much RAM you are using and how much is still available on the top.

To sum up, if you’re a stock-loving person like me, it’s really easy to achieve. Do not be afraid. It’s a little annoying, but people probably like all the extra features … otherwise OnePlus wouldn’t be doing it.

6. antidanis
    Gingerbread Dec 3, 2017

Stickied Post
    antidanis , Dec 3, 2017 :
    Day Seven: Conclusion Day

In conclusion, I’m absolutely in love with my OnePlus 5T. I do not regret spending the money. For me, it’s the best phone on the market right now. I’m glad I bought it.

A phone is truly an experience. It’s not just about the specs on paper, chipset, memory, etc. It’s about the entire feel of the thing. How is the software? How does it fit in your hand? How does the screen look? How does the speaker sound? Does the screen protector fit or is it greasy? Is anything cheesy or buggy? How is the power?

The phone feels great in my hand. I love the screen – it’s big, sharp and has beautiful colors. The stock screen protector is very high quality, fits really well and has awesome oleophobic coating. I don’t have to walk around with a greasy screen until someone releases a nice screen protector. The stock bumper case is really nice (the stock silicone one didn’t offer enough protection). At least I don’t have to wait for Spigen to make their mold and walk around risking phone death. The phone and stock accessories are a wonderful fit.

Dash charging is seriously awesome. It changed my life. I wish the cables were red and black instead of red and white. I hate white electronics.

The power is, well, here’s where the top of the line chipset comes in. Fast. 8 gigs of memory is to die for. 128 gigs of storage is very much enough.

The camera is nice and is everything I ever wanted from a camera.

The fingerprint scanner is nice and in the back. Yes, finally!

The software is stable. I do wish that OxygenOS slowed down on the extra gimmicky features, but it’s really easy to make the phone look and feel like completely stock Android.

The bootloader is unlocked and developer support is huge. I was able to root with a custom bootloader on day one!

The price tag on the phone is fair. Accessories are a bit too expensive, but they’re really nice. Grr, but please take my money .

Besides tiny neatpicky suggestions and minor complaints you can read in my entire review, I have absolutely nothing bad to say. I just wanted to provide hopefully useful feedback and constructive criticism.

Well done, OnePlus. Thank you very much for an excellent device. I really hope I can get another 5T for my wife.

7. dcmcc24
    KitKat Nov 29, 2017

dcmcc24 , Nov 29, 2017 :
    [​IMG]

8. antidanis
    Gingerbread Dec 1, 2017

antidanis , Dec 1, 2017 :
    I'll be posting the dash charging/power review soon. Doing some final testing overnight.

9. antidanis
    Gingerbread Dec 4, 2017

antidanis , Dec 4, 2017 :
    Day 8 : Still Like It

Hey, I woke up on day 8, and I still like the phone.

10. antidanis
    Gingerbread Dec 12, 2017

antidanis , Dec 12, 2017 :
    Hey, it's been a little over a week since I last checked in. I have since installed the new 4.7.4 OxygenOS, and I actually noticed the difference when it comes to the camera. I've used it for several days, and it's very stable. If you are wondering whether or not to update, go ahead. I might be imagining things, but I also stopped accidentally hitting the home button while typing space. Either the new update fixed it or I started typing differently and adjusted. Nice.