#7DayReviewChallenge Bye Galaxy S8, Hi OnePlus 5T by Bedo Bela

1. bedobela
    Gingerbread Nov 30, 2017

bedobela , Nov 30, 2017 :
    [Contest]-OnePlus-5T---7-Day-Review-Challenge!_780.jpg

I am a bit late to the game but it is worth sharing my opinion either way.

Short story: I ordered 1 minute after the sales went live but received the phone now. That is not a big deal since Oneplus kept their part of the promise and I didn’t opt for Express shipping, but I am sure that you have read several post like this and people asking ETAs for Oreo, so I will get to the point:

THE UNBOXING
    Just kidding, I am going to ramble about other useless stuff before actually writing about the unboxing so here is what you have to do when you get a new phone, at least this is what I did:

Step 1: Receive a call from DHL

Step 2: Jump around happily until the courier actually arrives

Step 3: Get the phone, get in the house, continue jumping around (I'm 30 years old by the way...)

Step 4: Remove the 2 SIM cards from the Nokia you had because you sold your Galaxy S8 too earlyI really did use an old Nokia

Step 5: Unbox the new phone

Packaging:

1-box.jpg
    2-everything.jpg

What’s in the box:
    As expected, this is a strong point for OnePlus, I had the 3T so I was expecting THE bright red packaging on the inside but still, it is one of the best packaging I’ve seen. Only my old Huawei P8 came close in unboxing experience. I like how the plastic part which holds the phone just blends in the cardboard part which holds the case and documentation.
    3-unboxed.jpg

The phone – looks much better in real life then on videos (and believe me, I have probably watched all the videos on Youtube about this phone)

The Silicon case – simple yet useful, great addition, thanks OnePlus

Charging cable and brick – compared to the Charger I received with the 3T, it looks to be more polished, the print quality on it seems to be a bit better, but this is just a small detail, the cable is the same (awesome)

SIM ejector tool – you can’t help it but have the same face expression that is apparent on this little tool when you unbox a new phone.

Documentation – huh? Does anyone actually read it? No, but it looks good though

I also ordered the sandstone case and a tempered glass but at the moment I will only use the sandstone case. I like my phones without cases but this one does not add a lot of bulk so I will use it from time to time. The unboxing was a pleasant experience overall.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017

Crystal Z. and dsmonteiro like this.
  2. bedobela
    Gingerbread Nov 30, 2017

Day Two: Design/Display Day.

1.jpg
    So here we go, this is day 2 about design and display. I had the chance to examine the phone, compare it to other phone, to the older OnePlus 3T especially and it looks good. I will split this review in two main topics.

Design

The design, as most of the reviewers and OnePlus itself pointed out, is not a lot different from the OnePlus 5. It is basically the same on the back. (Sorry, some images are out of focus)
    2.jpg
    3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

The Camera Hump:

Humpitty hump. The camera hump is pretty noticeable on photos. In real life though, when you have the phone in your hand or just simply look at it, it is not that obvious. I can live with it. Also, when placed on a table, it does not rock excessively which is good. I like that the ring has the same material that was used on the OnePlus 3T which lasted well for over a year now just stretches over the camera lens for protection.

The fingerprint scanner:

Ceramic. Thank you. That is all I have to say really. It is placed in the right position, my finger rests on it as soon as I pick up the phone, which is goo from ergonomic point of view.

The Logo:

It was obvious to me that you have nailed your logo design from the first second I have seen it. I am also a part time designer, I sometimes work on logos and this one is just purely beautiful. Recognizable and simple, making it timeless and blends in really well with the whole design of your products.

An image which shows the above 3 design details.

6.jpg
    The Buttons:

Clicky and metallic a Jerry Rig everything said. Also, not necessarily in this category, the SIM tray blends in perfectly with the body, barely noticeable.

Headphone Jack:

I get it, it really is a feature. I use Bluetooth headphones anyway. I did have wired headphones in the recent past and yes, it would be annoying to use dongles but don't make it a bragging point because maybe next year you will have to follow then trend and be ridiculed for what you said this year (Google Pixel, I am looking at you) The availability of AptxHD is stellar and you can hear the difference but that is something for the software day.

The Screen
    7.jpg
    The screen is not the best when it comes to resolution. It honestly does not have to be. My main concern with AMOLED screens is that all the colors are really punchy. I know, you like to show others how bright your screen is, how irritatingly red is your YouTube logo and so on. That is not normal. It hurts your eyes. So what does OnePlus do? Adds options. I choose the sRGB every time and man, the screen looks like a blend between AMOLED and LCD. Blacks are black and, well, reds are red, not Laser beams which burn your eye and you become blind suffering for the rest of your miserable life. OK, I went a bit ahead of my self there. My main point is that it looks good, you have options and Full HD makes it battery efficient. I wouldn't go as far though as saying that it looks like a 2K screen. It doesn't if you have good eyes but it doesn't have to.
    8.jpg
    Blue shift? Every AMOLED has, it wasn't a thing until the PixelXL 2 had issues with it.
    Screen burn-in? My Oneplus 5T still doesn't have any burn-in. Hopefully it will be the same with the 5T too.
    9.jpg
    And last but not least. Jelly effect. Thanks for not assembling the display upside down this time.

Overall I am satisfied until now.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017

Crystal Z. likes this.
  3. bedobela
    Gingerbread Nov 30, 2017

Day Three: Camera Day.

So this is day 3 where I will talk about the camera a little bit. I have to accept the fact that I am not a professional and this is one of the features that just has to be mediocre for me and which does not necessarily influence my decision when choosing a phone. I think that most of today's smartphones have good enough cameras in fair lighting conditions. There are several articles about photos in those condition so I mostly concentrated on challenging shots which could let you form an idea of the camera performance.

I tried the camera in different lighting conditions for more or less the same angle. Here are the results:

Day Time:
    1.jpg
    Night time + Room Light:
    2.jpg
    Night Time + Room Light + LED Light
    3.jpg
    Night Time + LED Light
    4.jpg
    The above shots looked fine to me and the phone mostly handled these challenging conditions well but I also tried to make some photos which are even harder for smartphone cameras to get right. Here are the results:
    6.jpg
    7.jpg Creating photos of screens is one of the most challenging situations a phone camera can get in so here's a photo of the OnePlus 3T screen: 5.jpg Other photos I didn't necessary bother with are 2 photos in fair lighting conditions:
    8.jpg 9.jpg
    And one portrait mode shot of my colleague, actually I think this was the first photo made with the phone:
    10.jpg
    My opinion about the camera is that it fits my needs. Nothing more, I will let real experts review this part.

I will refuse to take a selfie. I rarely use that feature anyway but I tried a quick call and the performance was great. Talking about videos, I tried the settings and it seems like the video is the most stable if you shoot in 4K.

The camera interface is one of the most important parts for me, which is spot on. I really like how minimal it is , yet you can find all the features you need.

So that's it. As I mentioned, the camera part is not something I explore too much, maybe I will give this phone to my brother who is a professional photographer and he can have a shot on testing the performance. If I manage to do that, I will definitely post the results in this thread but from my side, this is this review (even if it is lacking).

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017

Crystal Z. likes this.
  4. bedobela
    Gingerbread Nov 30, 2017

Day Four: Performance Day
    This is day four. The day when I will talk about why I actually bought this phone. As it was stated in the previous post where I have talked about the camera, that is not a feature that I use too often. I return to OnePlus for what it can do best. Performance.

A little intro and short story... I promise this will lead to the actual performance review.

If you don't care about another pointless ramble, please skip this paragraph.

I have been using all kinds of different brand phones for the last few years. For someone in Romania where Apple and Samsung basically are lone players in the smartphone market with brands like LG, Huawei and HTC being somewhat popular now, I am often asked why I buy "No Name" phones. That was the case when I bought my HTC One M7, that was the case when I bought my Huawei P8 because those brands were not known in my home country at the time. I have to say this, even though it is a bit off topic, I watch a lot of reviews and decide based on those reviews even though all of them seem a bit weird and end up being simple paid commercials for specific phones. I burned myself this way with the LG G3 and recently with the Samsung Galaxy S8. Those phones were not nearly as good performers as all the YouTube videos and written reviews stated. So we come to the question why I bought my first OnePlus which was the 3T. I skipped the one because I didn't have a possibility to get a hold of an invitation. skipped the two due to the bad snapdragon processor which lead to a lot of negative feedback with software updates and so on. When I bought the 3T, I was suprised. A lot. It was fast, there was great ROM development but all the big screen phones appeared and I wanted to get in that game. Bad choice, should have waited for this phone because I had a bad experience with the S8. No development and serious hickups when using the OS. That has simply rocketed me back to this brand. I bought on the first minute after seeing that you also chose to include a big screen.

Actual performance review

T H I S P H O N E F L I E S

It is the fastest phone I have ever used. It is as fast as the 3T which is good. That means that with further software improvements it can become even faster.

Fingerprint/Face unlock

It is fast. The miliseconds claimed by OnePlus are real. The face unlock, even though it might not be too secure, works extremely fast. I rarely had misses with the fingerprint or face unlock features which is an improvement compared to most of the other phones I used which had these features.

Snappiness of the OS

It is snappy, you see some hickups sometimes and some apps might influence the performance heavily like Cornerfly or the app drawer of Nova Launcher but that is probably due to issues from the app developers' side.

Multitasking

Many reviewers have said that the difference between 6 and 8 GBs of RAM is not noticeable and that the only thing you gain with the higher end version is the 64+ GB in storage. It is noticeable. There is good RAM management and compared to the 3T which has 6 GBs of RAM, it does keep more apps in memory. How is it even possible? I don't know what mambo jambo is OnePlus doing but all the other manufacturers claim that they don't keep apps in memory to preserve battery, yet here is an example where you get get a lot more with really good battery life.

Gaming

Gaming is a breeze. The phone handles everything you throw at it without dropped frames, all the high end games work well but I can't say too much more because I just tested this out of curiosity. I rarely game on phones because I prefer the quality of PC games when it comes to gaming. I don't think that smartphones are good enough yet for proper gaming.

OOS Fluidity

OK. This is where I have to say that there is some space for improvement. It is the fastest stock software I have used and comparable to the speed of former Nexus phones (I didn't own a pixel yet) but as I have seen with the 3T, I think that there is still room for improvements. Custom ROMs were a bit more fluid and just faster in general compared to OOS, even then this OOS on the 5T which is why I actually bought this phone. I can't wait to flash some ROMs. More details on why will come in the Software review.

General performance

This is where this phone excels. We have to admit that. It opens application fast, multitasking is great and everything looks good and close to stock as it is when it comes to performance.

Performance issues I have seen so far (don't get mad, this is just based on my experience)

- Face unlock seems to be a bit slower after a few days. In the first day, I didn't see the lock-screen, not I see it for a fraction of the time.
    -There is a weird glitch where after unlocking, the wallpaper is black for a second. I am not sure that this is a performance issue, maybe it was done intentionally? No clue...
    -Some apps slow down the phone. This would normally not be on this list, but in a weird way, installing those apps never caused actual performance issues on other phones (Cornerfly, Nova launcher app drawer animation).
    -Adding double-tap shortcuts to the navigation buttons slows down the reactions in case of single tap. This is probably needed because the OS has to wait and see if you actually want to double tap.
    -Statusbar shortcuts sometimes take time to appear and there were a few hickups with multitasking, the list sometimes lags while the apps appear.

Overall I have not experienced many slowdowns, this phone is extremely fast and I am happy with the day to day performance.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017

5. bedobela
    Gingerbread Nov 30, 2017

Day Five: Dash Charge/Power Consumption Day

This is one of the strong points of the phone. I have far better battery battery life and faster charging then on other phones. I constantly got 5hrs of SOT and even though I rarely wait to actually discharge my battery, this time I tried.

Here is a breakdown on how my battery life behaved in the first 5 days:

Day 1 - Got the phone, it was at around 60% of battery, got to work and came home with around 30% put the phone in the charger.
    Day 2 - Started from 100% and got down to 11% and SOT was 5h 24m.
    Day 3 - Started from 100% - I had a bit more time in the first part of the day, did not charge the phone and from around 8% it charged in one hour. Got down to about 25% by the end of the day with 4h 2m of SOT. Put the phone in the charger for the night.
    Day 4 - Started from 100% in the morning and got down to 19% with SOT of 5h 1m.
    Day 5 - Started from 100% in the morning and right now I am at 51% with SOT of 1h 31m

Below are some images from the last few days:

Screenshot_20171202-033828.jpg Screenshot_20171202-050041.jpg Screenshot_20171201-025508.jpg
    Bottom line, the battery life and SOT is something that is overdiscussed on threads and in tests. Every user has different usage patterns and different apps installed which may or may not drain battery. All I can say is that at the end of the day I always have plenty of battery left and I use the phone as I want to. I don't care about statistics, I don't want to sacrifice the comfort of using the phone as I want to just to be able to post a screenshot in some thread or constantly complain that in one of the days I got 5 minutes less SOT and that OnePlus should update the phone because that is unacceptable. I know I have exaggerated a bit but I constantly see bragging or whining threads on this topic. I use the light or default theme because I like it more, I like to have apps updating in the background and this is one phone with a battery life which allows me to do just that. If I get a chance, I charge my phone because I don't know what can happen in the middle of the day, I cannot afford to start a day with 50% of battery.

This is only my opinion, mileage may vary.

Charging quickly is just a positive thing. I would not want to sacrifice that so I think that Dash Charge (even though I don't like the fact that it is a proprietary technology) does the job. I have never wireless charging, according to some reviews and articled this is a big minus for OnePlus but I can't have an opinion on something I didn't use. My main issue is that I don't want to waste money on something which is just a downgrade from wired charging. It's not necessarily a financial decision, It is just something I don't care about.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017

Crystal Z. likes this.
  6. bedobela
    Gingerbread Nov 30, 2017

Day Six: OxygenOS Day.

This is by far my favourite part. Almost stock Android with really good extra features so I will split this part in two categories:

What I like

Stock look (almost) with some extra features

Themes. Really nice addition.

Overall snappiness - the UI is really quick

Good RAM management and good battery life

Quick animations. If you set the animations to 1x, it is quicker then normally on other phones.

No bloatware. I mean not a single app that I would like to uninstall or disable.

What I don't like / could be changed or added in my opinion

The dialer, messaging app, clock app etc. The top menu points are different from the Android design language. These could easily look like stock Android to make the UI more consistent. I get the fact that there are more features compared to the Google apps but still, it would be nice to have the consistent design language.

There is no statusbar clock customization (center or left, I really like the clock on the left)

There could be a possibility to change the accent color for the stock theme and more colors, maybe even a color picker possibility.

The above mentioned features are mostly taken from other ROMs and maybe can't even be implemented but since this is a place where I can mention everything I would like to change, here it is.

I also know that there will be a lot of custom ROMs out there but this is my go at the OxygenOS review. I like to install and try out different ROMs though which means that I rarely use the stock software. OxygenOS is the only stock software I don't hate and want to change right away. That is a big deal.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017

7. bedobela
    Gingerbread Nov 30, 2017

Day Seven: Conclusion Day!

This phone rocks. Period.
    I really like it. Of course there were people who told me that I will be sorry that I switched from the S8 to the 5T. That is not true. I admit that the in hand feel was better and the bezels were a bit smaller on the Samsung but overall I am happy and not regretting this decision at all. The software is much snappier and the close to stock Android look is really nice. Battery is better and just the other day, I compared it to the S8 of my friend and it is much faster. That is what matters the most.

I didn't go for the OnePlus 5 because of the big top and bottom bezels. Once you have seen an almost all screen phone, you will never be happy with the traditional big bezel design.

I am happy that I got a device with no manufacturing flaws, at least none that were observable until now.

Thanks for the opportunity, writing this review is different from the experiences I had with other phones. Maybe it is not perfect and it will not be read by many people but I realized that it's not easy to write about a phone. We take those 2-3 minute long review videos for granted but in some cases there are days of work until the review is finalized. Now at least I will respect these people more and hopefully someone actually reads this one too so it can help deciding whether to buy this phone or not.

I might have biased opinions because this phone just ticks all the boxes in my case and is an incredible value for money. I don't agree with the statement that it is cheap. That is the only thing that annoys me. It is not cheap, there are monthly salaries worldwide which are under 600 euros. Other phones have started to become extremely expensive. This phone has the right price with the right features in my case. I like it and this is all thanks to the 3T. Hopefully there will be more good devices coming out in the future and OnePlus will not become HTC. Until then, I am happy with my 5T.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017

8. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Nov 30, 2017

dsmonteiro , Nov 30, 2017 :
    Images are broken but, other than that, well structured thread!

bedobela likes this.
  9. bedobela
    Gingerbread Nov 30, 2017

Oh no... Fixed now, my bad. I was using google drive images but that complicates stuff... now it should be fine. Thanks for the heads-up, it looked fine on my computer because I had access to the images.

dsmonteiro likes this.
  10. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Nov 30, 2017

dsmonteiro , Nov 30, 2017 :
    Looks great! Just bookmarked the thread so I can check the next ones. ;)

11. bedobela
    Gingerbread Nov 30, 2017

Thank you. Nice to hear that, especially from you.

dsmonteiro likes this.
  12. bedobela
    Gingerbread Dec 6, 2017

bedobela , Dec 6, 2017 :
    I am done with the review. I hope it is not a problem that I added all the comments on the first day and then edited the appropriate one every day.