#7DayReviewChallenge - Moving From Nexus to OnePlus

1. thetaguru
    Froyo Nov 28, 2017

thetaguru , Nov 28, 2017 :
    Day One: Unboxing Day

My last two phones have been the Google Nexus 5X and the Nexus 5. I have enjoyed getting an decent phone with stock android at an affordable price. I have always been intrigued by the OnePlus but never made the jump. After my Nexus 5X crashed for the second time due to the bootloop error and it has been over two years since my last phone, it was time to look for a new one. At first, I looked at the Pixel but was turned off by the phone staying the same physical dimensions but the screen size reducing from 5.2" to 5.0" and the astronomical prices of the XL version.

Then luck came my way and I heard rumors of a new OnePlus device being announced soon. I began to use my old backup Nexus 5 in hopes that I can hold out for a month to see if the rumors are true. Luckily, they were and I loved everything I saw and heard during the launch event. I was eager to place my order as soon as it opened. A few days later, it arrived!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is always exciting to open the box of a new phone. There front and center was my new phone. At first I was a bit nervous that the phone would be too big but was relieved that it was a good size in my hands. I popped it out and was surprised by how the phone felt, the all metal backing is great.

With the early bird special and referral link in hand, I was basically able to get the Sandstone and Tempered Glass screen protector for free. Even without it, it was wonderful to see it come with a screen protector and case already in the box in case I needed it.

Faroosi, Crystal Z. and dsmonteiro like this.
  2. thetaguru
    Froyo Nov 30, 2017

thetaguru , Nov 30, 2017 :
    Day Two: Design/Display Day.

I like the hardware design. I like it a lot. I like it so much that even with a free case and the one I bought, I can't bring myself to put them on because I just want one more day with the sleek metal design.

I thought jumping all the way up to a six inch screen was absurd and that I didn't need it too so big. I was wrong, I did not know what I was missing. The difference was noticeable right away in the additional amount of real estate the screen had. Using Waze for navigation on a regular basis has become much more enjoyable with the larger screen and easier to read.

[​IMG]

Before I needed to use my tablet in order to enjoy watching shows but they appear great on the 1+ and can use it instead now. The resolution meets my expectations and I can comfortable enjoy them on the go now. And thanks to the 3.5mm jack still there, I didn't need to buy anything new or worry about something else to charge.

[​IMG]

So a few days later I did put on the sandstone case and tempered glass screen protector and still love the design. The case has a great texture to it to help get a grip on the phone while still keeping the design of it and not adding bulk. The screen protector is nice but sometimes I have problems with items registering my touch that are really close to the edge.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017

G_plusone and Crystal Z. like this.
  3. thetaguru
    Froyo Dec 1, 2017

thetaguru , Dec 1, 2017 :
    Day Three: Camera Day

I haven't taken that many pictures yet (less than 20) but initial impressions are so-so. My expectations were not high and my last camera wasn't that great so it is not a big factor for me. So far it seems that pictures with people in it seem to be blurry and a bit out of focus. It tends to work a lot better with non-animate objects. The low light does seems to work better than the Nexus that I had before.

It took me a few days to even figure out how to get to the Pro mode (was an accidentally swipe that led to initial discovery). Tweaking it for low light does seem to be one of the benefits but I am not familiar enough yet with the settings to use it appropriately. Also, I tend to prefer a quick point and click than adjusting through settings.

Regular Tree:

[​IMG]

Pro Mode Tree:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all, the camera is not the greatest in the world but I wasn't expecting it to be. I have used it on people some more and the pictures are turning out better, perhaps I was just trying to capture too much motion in the pictures. The portrait mode works but hasn't been to my style, I rather not blur out some of the background.

4. thetaguru
    Froyo Dec 1, 2017

thetaguru , Dec 1, 2017 :
    Day Four: Performance Day

The toughest choice between the two models wasn't the 64GB vs the 128GB, but more so between the 6GB vs 8GB RAM. Coming from the Nexus 5X that only had 2GB, I choice the 6GB but quickly had buyers remorse and was worried if I made the right choice. That doubt quickly removed itself after a day with the new 1+. The phone is quick and responsive. The Face Unlock works like a charm which is especially useful when I have it resting on a stand during the day and do not have to either pick it up to use the finger print scanner or type in a pin code. Sometimes I even forgot that it is there and that I have a lock on my phone.

I have never ran these apps so smoothly, I can open and switch easily between. Gaming performance is amazing. While playing the new Lineage II Revolution, I have the graphics set on the highest level and could not understand how quickly things ran and all lag was removed. It runs better on the 5T then it does on my Shield K1 tablet. Other games such as OceanHorn can be ran on the highest graphics and FPS as well without a hiccup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. thetaguru
    Froyo Dec 3, 2017

thetaguru , Dec 3, 2017 :
    Day Five: Dash Charge/Power Consumption Day

My first full day with my 1+ I went a day without doing something that I have not done in years. I went a whole day without having to charge my phone. I typically charge at least once while at work, keep portable chargers in different places, get a bit of extra juice in the car and sometimes give it an extra charge at home. I have read stories of people enjoying over 6+ hours of screen on time with their phone but have never experienced it myself. I got about 6.5 hours of screen time with a bit over 10% battery left which was a combination of web browsing, checking emails, playing games and watching videos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting ready to head out for a trip, I decide to try to use a quick charge just to top off a bit (out of old habit). In as little as 5-10 minutes, I charged over 20%. Yup, quick charge is really quick. It is much quicker than the Nexus 5X quick charge. For fun I tried charging my OnePlus with the display on to see if it really can maintain that charge speed which using the phone and was amazed that it can. Typically, my phone could barely maintain it's current battery level while plugged in and on and not continue to fully charge the phone.

6. thetaguru
    Froyo Dec 4, 2017

thetaguru , Dec 4, 2017 :
    Day Six: OxygenOS Day

With this being my first OnePlus device, I wasn't quite sure what I was expecting in terms of OS. I knew that it ran near stock android but did not know much about Oxygen. One of the first things I stumbled upon when adding widgets was the ability to change icons without having to install a new launcher. Next I also found out how to change the LED color for different types of notifications.

What really began to stand out that lets me customize the phone to my needs was buttons and gestures. I found this useful by being able to turn off my screen by double tapping the home button instead of having to use the physical power button which is easier for me if I am not holding the phone in my hand. Another button is being able to use the fingerprint scanner to take a picture so I can do it one handed.

The gestures provide even great usability. I love being able to go straight to my music player in my car by drawing a 'M' on the screen as well as forward and backward without even having to turn my screen on. And speaking of turning the screen on, being able to double tap the screen to wake it up is a feature I have always wanted. Other gestures such as drawing an 'O' to turn on the flashlight makes it quick and easy.

7. thetaguru
    Froyo Dec 6, 2017

thetaguru , Dec 6, 2017 :
    Day Seven: Conclusion Day!

After a week of using my OnePlus 5T, I am happy that I made the jump over to the OnePlus line. First off, the size is great. I was afraid that it would be physically too big but it actually works out nicely. I didn't realize I needed a 6 inch screen until I had it. Now I don't think I can go back, nor could I imagine if I would have went with the Pixel and it's 5 inch screen.

Even at the 6 GB / 64 GB version, the phone is lightning quick and more than enough storage for my needs. Even with all my apps and games, some music and a few movies, I still have over 65% free storage. It has been so nice going through a whole day with fairly heavy use (over six hours SOT) and not need to charge. I thought having to charge a couple times a day was a way of life but now I don't need to worry about it.

The OxygenOS has been a refreshing take on stock Android (I won't make a bad pun on it being a fresh breath of air). The custom buttons and gestures adds wonderful functionality on how I use the phone and fits my needs like a glove. The camera is good enough, I did not expect it to be great and works for my needs. It takes great scenic pictures but when I take pictures of people, it seems to be grainy and/or blurry.

For the price, this phone can't be beat. I would recommend it to others and look forward to using it and learning more about it.