#7DayReviewChallenge My first new phone is years

1. G_Piyush_Mewada_wIVC
    Cupcake Dec 7, 2017

G_Piyush_Mewada_wIVC , Dec 7, 2017 :
    Day 1: I was so excited when I finally got the phone, mainly because no one was home when the delivery guys came to give it to us, so they took it back and then we had to go get it the next day. But the phone is so much better than I could have ever imagined. There are so many things to customize and transferring my data from my previous phone was so easy. Initial thoughts on the camera are meh. It's not the best camera but it is better than my previous phone. Setting up the phone was easy and very quick.
    IMG_20171205_220929.jpg IMG_20171205_221007.jpg

2. G_Piyush_Mewada_wIVC
    Cupcake Dec 7, 2017

G_Piyush_Mewada_wIVC , Dec 7, 2017 :
    Day 2:
    The hardware of the phone is really nice. The alert slider is so useful whenever I am going to class, all I have to do is slide it up. The fingerprint sensor and the Face ID are so fast, that I never even get to see my lock screen. And the default background looks really nice, so I left it the way it was. The fingerprint scanner is in a very convenient location, unlike some other smartphones nowadays *cough* Samsung *cough*. Even with the size of the phone, everything feels natural to press. Sliding down the fingerprint sensor to access the notifications panel was a genius idea. The AMOLED display looks really nice and bright. The contrast looks really nice. Screenshot_20171207-001418.jpg

3. Rousselotboris
    Eclair Dec 7, 2017

4. Ping0s
    Eclair Dec 7, 2017

Ping0s , Dec 7, 2017 :
    out of curiosity, does your Snapchat appear to be as though it is zoomed in?

5. G_Piyush_Mewada_wIVC
    Cupcake Dec 8, 2017

G_Piyush_Mewada_wIVC , Dec 8, 2017 :
    Yea, actually, I was just about to say that in my review...

6. Ping0s
    Eclair Dec 8, 2017

Ping0s , Dec 8, 2017 :

Seems to be fixed with the latest update released today.

7. G_Piyush_Mewada_wIVC
    Cupcake Dec 8, 2017

Day 3: The camera on this phone is amazing. I have taken many photos with the portrait mode and they all turned out great. IMG_20171206_140655_Bokeh.jpg

All the photos were high quality and all the different ways to open the camera (double press the power button, draw a circle on the lock screen) are really quick and very effective. I was not disappointed by the camera at all. The pro mode is really something else. It gives you so many options to perfect the photo. It lets you change almost everything, from the focus to the ISO to the exposure. It also offers a real-time graph of the ISO and also a horizontal bar so that you know if your phone is crooked when taking the photo. It offers 3 different ratios to take the photos (18:9, 4:3, and 1:1). The 1080p60fps looks really nice along with the 4K video. IMG_20171207_161947_Bokeh.jpg

Sometimes in the portrait mode, the feathering can accidentally blur the object you are taking a photo of, but it usually fixes itself when you actually take the photo.

A bug that I noticed while using the phone, is when I use Snapchat, the camera seems zoomed in farther than normal.

This is a photo from Snapchat: Snapchat-1483574307.jpg while this is a photo from the camera app, the same exact distance, and angle away: IMG_20171207_225751.jpg

This is one of Snapchat's front-facing camera: IMG_20171207_225819.jpg and here is one from the phone's real front-facing one: IMG_20171207_225751.jpg

But other than that, the camera on the phone is fantastic.

Here are just some more photos I took with the camera:
    IMG_20171207_230543.jpg IMG_20171207_230715_Bokeh.jpg IMG_20171207_230726_Bokeh.jpg

Attached Files:

8. G_Piyush_Mewada_wIVC
    Cupcake Dec 8, 2017

was it an update for the phone, because mine says it's up to date, but the camera is still zoomed in

9. Ping0s
    Eclair Dec 8, 2017

Ping0s , Dec 8, 2017 :
    use Opera VPN and set it to Canada and check for updates again. US gets it later for some reason.

G_Piyush_Mewada_wIVC likes this.
  10. G_Piyush_Mewada_wIVC
    Cupcake Dec 8, 2017

Oh ok, I just did that and it worked. Thanks!

G_Rudy_Loera_vLTy likes this.
  11. G_Piyush_Mewada_wIVC
    Cupcake Dec 9, 2017

G_Piyush_Mewada_wIVC , Dec 9, 2017 :
    Day 4: I have been using the device for 4 days now, and all the new tech that I didn't have on my old phone is still astonishing. I have the 8GB RAM version, but having 6 GB RAM is more than enough for the processor in the phone. I played some pretty resource intensive games and the phone held up perfectly fine. When I was playing Asphalt 8, the graphics looked amazing and the game ran really smoothly.

Screenshot_20171208-234431.jpg Screenshot_20171208-234551.jpg Screenshot_20171208-234615.jpg Screenshot_20171208-234450.jpg Screenshot_20171208-234406.jpg

I also played Alto's Adventure, which isn't the most resource intensive game, but it still looked really nice and the different colors lit up really well on the AMOLED screen. On my previous device, every time I died and would have to restart, it would take at least 7 seconds to try again, but this phone can do it in 2 seconds. The phone is insanely fast.

Screenshot_20171208-235207.jpg Screenshot_20171208-235232.jpg

The 3 fingered screenshot really helps take a screenshot of the screen while gaming. So that is how I got all the photos for the post.

Next. The Face ID is amazingly quick. I barely even get to see my lock screen. As soon as I press my power button, the phone is unlocked. One problem that I have seen, is the low light on the front camera. The face ID doesn't work well in dark areas and this is because it just uses the front camera, not another sensor, like the iPhone X. But when it fails, you can always use the fingerprint, which is safer and faster than the face ID.

And finally, I know that I am supposed to wait until tomorrow to talk about the battery, but what happened today was insane. I forgot to charge my phone last night, so when I woke up, I only had 40% on my phone. But I took it to school anyways. And after 6 hours of medium use, the phone was only at 20%. But my teacher was nice enough to let me charge my phone, but she limited me to only 30 minutes. I told her that 30 minutes was more than enough. So after charging for half an hour, the phone is at 74%! It was insane. The phone went from 20% to 74% in 30 minutes. And the battery life is really long on the phone, to begin with, so the phone did last me until the end of the day. I still have 48% after some heavy use of the phone for 4 or 5 hours. I will try to take a photo before and after charging tomorrow.

12. G_Piyush_Mewada_wIVC
    Cupcake Dec 10, 2017

G_Piyush_Mewada_wIVC , Dec 10, 2017 :
    Day 5: Ok, so today is the day that I talk about how incredible the fast charging on the phone is. I purposefully didn't charge my phone at night and kept using it throughout the day. After about 3 hours of heavy use, I put it in charge.
    Screenshot_20171209-154343.jpg

So at 3:43 I put the device in charge, and after 25minutes of charging, the phone was at 73%! It was insanely quick.
    Screenshot_20171209-160700.jpg
    I left it in charge for 20 more minutes and it ended up with 93%. That amount of charge can last 2 whole days of medium use.
    Screenshot_20171209-163037.jpg

The phone may seem like it has a small battery, just so that it can charge fast, but that is not the case. The processor in the phone and the battery allow the phone to last 2 whole days without charge. I use my phone quite often, and I forgot my charger at home when I went to my friend's house yesterday, and my phone was at 60% when I got there. And after a lot of use during the night, it ended with 37%. Overall, the battery on this phone is amazing and can even outlast my friends Samsung Galaxy S8, which he had to put in charge when I was over because he ran out of battery.

13. G_Piyush_Mewada_wIVC
    Cupcake Dec 10, 2017

G_Piyush_Mewada_wIVC , Dec 10, 2017 :
    Day 6:
    Ok, So I know that it looks like this review is coming right after the Day 5 one, but that is because I forgot to hit the post button last night and so it got posted today.

But anyways, it's time to talk about the OS of the OnePlus 5T. The Oxygen OS has an amazing feel to it. I love the customizability to everything. How you can swap the buttons, and remap them to do different things. I also love you can simply swipe down on your fingerprint sensor to open the notifications bar, it is so cool and makes it easier to see your notifications. Having the shelf to have some widgets and the weather is super useful.
    Screenshot_20171210-124600.jpg Screenshot_20171210-124617.jpg
    The shelf has some quick ways to see my calendar and check my email.

I also love how the phone came installed with basically none of the bloatware that other phones have. My old phone had at least 2 GBs used up just form pre-installed AT&T apps. They were super annoying. But this phone comes only with the OnePlus Community app, and they let you uninstall it too (but why would you ever do that?). All of the different ways to open the camera and unlock your phone are still amazing, an I am still trying to pick my favorite.

One of the best features, in my opinion, is the reading mode and the gaming do not disturb mode. I use those modes most often, because when I am reading the news, all I have to do is swipe down on the fingerprint, and click the Reading mode button, and instantly the article becomes really easy to read. I was going to show a photo of the difference, the phone does not allow you to take a screenshot with reading mode and keep the colors, it reverts the colors back to normal mode, which isn't really that big of a downside. The gaming do not disturb mode is super useful whenever you are playing a game because it stops the fingerprint sensor from bringing down the notifications while you are gaming. I kept doing that before I learned about the Gaming do not disturb mode and it was the most infuriating thing because you can't play the game when the bar is down. But after finding that, the experience was infinitely better.

Screenshot_20171210-130103.jpg

A feature that I would like to see implemented, is if you swipe up on the home screen, it should open up the all apps page. I have already made a post about this separately, but I'll explain it again for your convenience. So, swiping up on the home screen can get annoying when you have a page that is full and has a widget. The swipe always goes to the widget, and I have to find an empty space where I can swipe. It makes it really awkward and it would feel so much better if all I had to do was swipe up on the fingerprint.
    Screenshot_20171210-130330.jpg
    The calendar widget makes it uncomfortable to swipe up.

But other than that, the OS feels incredibly smooth and very simplistic, which I really enjoy. You can keep the phone as simple or as complicated as you want. And at the end of the day, it is YOUR phone, so you should have 100% ability to customize it in a way you like.

14. G_Piyush_Mewada_wIVC
    Cupcake Dec 11, 2017

G_Piyush_Mewada_wIVC , Dec 11, 2017 :
    Day 7: THE CONCLUSION.

Ok so after using the phone for 7 days straight. I can conclude that this is the best phone I have held ever. I used this phone way more than any other phone on a daily basis. Sometimes it was actually easier to use my phone instead of my computer to do something. The initial set up was super easy and simple. The processor and screen along with all the features make this a great device that all come at a very affordable cost. The software that comes with the phone is super efficient and feels smooth. The fingerprint and Face id are extremely quick and work almost without fail. Only when there is low light does the face id not work. But that is because it doesn't have as many sensors that the iPhone X has, which helps reduce the cost, and simply using the fingerprint is easy enough to the point where is doesn't even matter. I used both interchangeably throughout the day. The camera in this phone did not disappoint me at all. It is on par with other flagships of this year and takes amazing 4K video and portrait mode photos. Finally my favorite feature of the phone, THE DASH CHARGE! There have been many times where the battery and charging have saved me. Sometimes I just forget to charge my phone at night and it's ok, because the battery can last me 2 days, even with medium-heavy use. and if the battery ever does get low, the dash charge brings it back up in a just an hour, as shown by the tests above. Overall, this phone is amazing, and I recommend it to everyone that wants a phone that can compete with all the other flagships, with a very affordable price. And it kept the headphone jack, which I love. Even if you like Bluetooth headphones, there is almost no loss to having a headphone jack.

Here are just some other photos I took with the phone.

1513036185893.jpg

1513036186096.jpg

1513036186245.jpg

1513036186383.jpg