#7DayReviewChallenge OPX to OP5T: Average User’s Review

1. ntg22
    Donut Dec 3, 2017

ntg22 , Dec 3, 2017 :
    Let me preface this by saying I am not the typical OnePlus customer. I don’t use custom ROMs, I don’t play games, I don’t need a performance beast, I’ve never rooted a phone.. So my priorities are probably different than yours.

To give you a bit of context, I am coming from a OnePlus X which I absolutely love. Throughout the review I will be making comparisons to this device.

I have 2 reasons for wanting to upgrade:
    • Space. 16GB is not enough, even with the SD card. I constantly have to delete stuff and it's getting annoying.

• The camera. The OPX camera was a compromise even 2 years ago so it’s no surprise that I’m not satisfied with it anymore.
    This is a OnePlus 5T review from the perspective of an average user.

Day 1 - Unboxing Day

I ordered the phone on launch day, albeit a few hours after most. I live in Germany but I happened to be in the US when the OP5T launched and I didn't want to wait until I got back so I ordered it and had it shipped to my hotel. According to the estimated delivery date, the phone was supposed to arrive the day before I left. However, it was delivered ahead of schedule and I could not have been more excited.

IMG_0215.JPG

The box looks, and feels, very premium. Design-wise I love the red accents but I don’t quite get why the box says 5 on the front instead of 5T like on the sides, that’s kind of confusing. The part that holds the phone is my favorite part of the box. It puts the device front and center, as it should be. The phone fits in there perfectly snug and it’s little details like that that make this feel like an $800+ phone. The fact that the DASH charger is included in the box is also a big plus for me, as is the high quality of the red charging cable. I also appreciate the see-through case because, as beautiful as the phone is, it’s also slippery so it’s a nice touch to add the case to give the phone a bit more grip. My OPX came with a similar case that fit perfectly and it’s the one I still use 2 years later. Compared to the one for the OP5T I think the buttons are a bit easier to press in the one from the OPX but overall the case is good if you’re just looking for a bit of scratch protection or added grip.

My OPX still has the pre-installed screen protector but for the OP5T I chose to buy the Early Bird bundle which included the tempered glass screen protector as well as a protective case. The packaging on both is top notch. I haven’t installed the screen protector yet so I can’t comment on it but the karbon protective case feels really nice in the hand; the finish is softer/smoother than I expected but it adds just enough grip for me to hold the phone comfortably.

Coming up: Day 2 - Design/Display Day

2. ntg22
    Donut Dec 3, 2017

Stickied Post
    ntg22 , Dec 3, 2017 :
    Day 2 - Design/Display Day

This phone is absolutely stunning. No ifs or buts about it, it’s a stunner. The small bezels make the phone look very modern and the AMOLED screen is beautiful. It doesn’t bother me one bit that the screen isn’t QHD, it looks great and is more than sufficient for my uses. I don’t love the look of the fingerprint scanner in the back but I appreciate that it’s even there. Better to have it in the back than not at all in my opinion. What I do love is the headphone jack. Wireless headphones may be the future but for now being able to use my current headphones is great. I like that OnePlus didn’t go the route of other manufacturers with this.

The fact that OnePlus stuck with a metal body may be a disadvantage for those who were hoping for wireless charging. However, for me, metal was the right choice. Wireless chargers aren’t ubiquitous so I’d be charging my phone mostly at home/work anyways. I’ll take DASH charge over wireless charging any day.

On the other hand, not being officially water/dust resistant is a downside, if a small one. Because most new phones have an IP rating, it feels weird that the OP5T doesn’t. It’s not a big deal for me personally because none of my other phones were water resistant but I could see why this would bother people used to taking their phone into the shower or to take pictures in the pool.

IMG_0208.JPG

As much as I love the overall design of the phone, I have to say that I was concerned about the size. The main reason why I didn’t buy the OPO was because of the size and it’s also why I excitedly bought the OPX as soon as I got an invite. Unlike most people, I prefer smaller phones. Having said that though, the phone is so slim that it feels great in the hand and it’s actually not that much bigger than the OPX due to the small bezels.

Coming up: Day 3 - Camera Day

3. ntg22
    Donut Dec 4, 2017

Stickied Post
    ntg22 , Dec 4, 2017 :
    Day 3 - Camera Day

The camera is one of the reasons I wanted to upgrade so I was very excited to test it. I compared a couple of shots with the OPX, mostly to see how much of an upgrade this really was. In general, I don’t expect a phone to deliver DSLR picture quality, so all I was looking for was a camera I could take decent pictures with under most conditions. Just point, shoot, and have a mostly positive result. All the sample pictures were taken with automatic settings and the flash turned off. Please note that some images had to be compressed to be uploaded.

This first set of pictures is at night with some indoor lighting. I’m not sure I would call this low light but the lighting isn’t good either. Straight away you can tell the OP5T smokes the OPX’s camera (as it should). IMG_20171203_190649.jpg
    IMG_20171203_190635 (1).jpg

Even though I would have been happy just knowing the OP5T camera was better than the OPX camera, I decided to take a few more shots just to see how the camera would fare in different situations. For example, the next one is very low light (only light source are the two small lamps). Normally I wouldn’t take a picture when it’s that dark out anyways but I’m happy to see that if I did feel the need to, I could get an okay picture, rather than just pure blackness. It’s not very sharp overall and the leaves are particularly blurry so it’s not a good picture but I was very impressed with how much light it captured considering it was very dark out. In the picture taken with the OPX you could barely even see the palm trees.

IMG_20171203_191158.jpg

IMG_20171203_191138.jpg

Daylight pictures on the other hand, look great. Here's a few pictures I've taken over the past couple of days.

IMG_20171203_102242 (1).jpg

IMG_20171204_113543 (1).jpg

IMG_20171204_131346 (1).jpg

Here's one in Portrait Mode.

IMG_20171204_131436_Bokeh (1).jpg

And last but not least, here's a sample from the front facing camera.

IMG_20171204_145747.jpg

There’s room for improvement for sure but from what I understand OnePlus is working on an update that should help with the camera. And as it stands, I’m happy with it. It may not be the best but it gets the job done well. Pictures look good for the most part and that’s enough for me.

Coming up: Day 4 - Performance Day

Attached Files:

Faroosi and sumitranjan.panda like this.
  4. ntg22
    Donut Dec 5, 2017

Stickied Post
    ntg22 , Dec 5, 2017 :
    Day 4 - Performance Day

As I said in the beginning, performance wasn’t my main concern when purchasing this phone. I was perfectly happy with the performance of my OPX (Snapdragon 801, 3GB of RAM). However, feeling how snappy the OP5T is, makes the OPX feel sluggish. As a test, I decided to reset the OPX to factory settings and set it up in the same way as the OP5T. The OP5T flew through the task of downloading and installing apps, while I had to leave the OPX to finish the process overnight.

I don’t play any games or do anything too processor-heavy. My uses are pretty basic: social media, WhatsApp, Mail, YouTube, Spotify, Chrome.. But I do tend to switch between apps a lot and keep quite a few tabs open. The OP5T hasn’t had a problem with that at all. Split-screen is amazing and doesn’t feel like either of the apps are slowed down in the slightest.

But the most impressive performance aspect for me is how ridiculously fast the fingerprint reader and the face unlock feature are. I don’t even see my lock screen anymore. In fact, I just realized it still has the default wallpaper.

I always thought fingerprint readers were overrated, typing the 4-digit code doesn’t take that long. But I am a convert now because both the fingerprint reader and the face unlock features are amazing. It’s so fast and simple, you don’t even think about it.

Overall I would say I am very impressed with the performance and I am sure with my uses I’m not even scratching the surface of what this phone can do.

Coming up: Day 5 - Dash Charge/Power Consumption Day

Faroosi and sumitranjan.panda like this.
  5. ntg22
    Donut Dec 6, 2017

Stickied Post
    ntg22 , Dec 6, 2017 :
    Day 5 - Dash Charge/Power Consumption Day

For as long as I’ve had smartphones, I’ve charged them overnight so I can start the day with 100% and even that wasn’t enough sometimes so I’m used to taking the charger and a battery pack with me. With the OP5T, however, there is no need for me to take the charger anywhere as the battery easily lasts me until the end of the day and beyond. As for charging, I just charge the phone while I get ready in the morning and have breakfast. By the time I’m done, the phone is at 85% charge and above.

A typical day for me includes using WhatsApp, Chrome, Mail, Spotify and watching some YouTube videos. Using the phone in this manner, with the brightness set to a bit under 50%, it still had 35% battery left 24h after I unplugged it.

On a heavy day, such as yesterday, where I watch YouTube for hours at a time, the OPX would’ve been dead after a few hours. The OP5T, on the other hand, handled it perfectly. The 24h aren’t done yet, it’s “only” been 22h but the phone still has 37% charge left.

Screenshot_20171206-100032.jpg

Screenshot_20171206-100039.jpg

Between the great battery life and DASH charge, I’m no longer afraid my phone will die on me in the middle of the day and it feels great. This is my first phone with fast charging capabilities and what a way to start! “A days power in half an hour” definitely rings true for me and my usage.

Coming up: Day 6 - OxygenOS Day

6. ntg22
    Donut Dec 7, 2017

Stickied Post
    ntg22 , Dec 7, 2017 :
    Day 6 - OxygenOS Day

Before getting the OPX, I came from an iPhone so OxygenOS in the only customized version of Android I’ve used. Before switching, I was apprehensive about using Android since I was mostly familiar with Samsung’s TouchWiz and wasn’t a fan. So I really appreciate how clean and easy to use OxygenOS is. It offers a lot of customization, if you want it, but if you don’t, you can just use your phone without a steep learning curve.

Since I was already familiar with an older version of OxygenOS on the OPX, I was excited to see what this version had to offer and I was happy to see that this version still had the features I loved the most.

Screenshot_20171207-175837.jpg

Here’s a list of things I like about OxygenOS:
    • It’s clean and feels very snappy.

• Getting to pick accent colors and notification LED colors.

• Gestures. Although I only use a couple, I like that there’s options. I particularly love the 3-finger swipe to take a screenshot and the option to use a gesture to activate the flashlight.

• Shelf. Having all my widgets in one place is great.

• Fingerprint sensor “extras”, like swiping to get notifications and being able to take a picture.

• Dark theme.
    Some features I think would be nice:
    • Option to have notification badges (like with Nova Launcher and TeslaUnread)

• More alert slider customization (If I could pick, I’d choose my slider positions to be: complete silence (even alarms), all notifications (vibrate), all notifications (sound))

• Option to constantly have the ambient display show the time

• Never settle widget (like the one you get if you don't have the weather app. I’d like to have the weather widget and a separate never settle widget)

Coming up: Day 7 - Conclusion Day

7. ntg22
    Donut Dec 8, 2017

Stickied Post
    ntg22 , Dec 8, 2017 :
    Day 7 - Conclusion Day

So it’s Conclusion Day and after a week with the OP5T I can say I love the device! It’s a massive step up from my OPX and I’m very happy with the purchase. I’ve been complimented on the phone because it looks, and feels, amazing. It feels very snappy and I haven’t had any crashes or software issues at all. I’m still in awe of the speed of the Face Unlock. And I still find it hard to believe how fast DASH charge is and how long the charge holds.
    But I think the one area we can all agree could be improved is the camera. It’s leaps and bounds better than the OPX’s (though that’s neither surprising nor a tough ask of a 2017 smartphone camera). It takes amazing photos with good lighting, even if you just use the Automatic settings. When conditions aren’t ideal, though, the quality of the pictures diminishes. With an update right around the corner that should improve low light performance, I’m hopeful that OnePlus will continue to tweak the software and take customer's concerns into consideration and that the camera will continue to get better. However, I stand by what I said during Day 3 - Camera Day: “As it stands, I’m happy with it. It may not be the best but it gets the job done well. Pictures look good for the most part and that’s enough for me”. If you don’t need the best camera, this phone really has it all and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a new smartphone.

8. Serbian Overlord
    KitKat Dec 5, 2017

9. sumitranjan.panda
    Gingerbread Dec 5, 2017