Display 7T: Damaged Screen from a Drop. Repair it with Oneplus?

?

Is Oneplus repair service reliable?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2020.
  1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

12.5%
  3. Don't know

37.5%
  1. AbeDZ
    Eclair Dec 28, 2019

AbeDZ , Dec 28, 2019 :
    Hey, guys!

Hopefully you guys can help me here.

I recently dropped my Oneplus 7T and the screen gradually stopped working. After dropping it I got three small pixels, two blue ones and a green one lighting up. Then, 10 minutes later it looked someone had sprinkled blue ink on half of the screen and progressively until it just looks all black. Everything worked when it had not completely spread except a dead pixel on the right top corner. About two weeks have passed since the incident and the phone still turns on but all I see is a black screen.

I did my due diligence and read Oneplus' warranty and it says it does not cover accidental damage and because it is a phone that is not so common I cannot just take it "anywhere" to get it fixed so I am strongly thinking of sending it to Oneplus' technicians for them to fix it but before I want input from the community. Does anyone have experience with Oneplus repair service? If so, does the phone work and look like it originally did?

In addition, the screen replacement kits are about the same price as what Oneplus charges to do it themselves (they charge USD $154 plus tax and labor fee and probably shipping) and I do not feel sufficiently competent to do it myself.

TL;DR: Dropped my 7T and the screen stopped working--all black. Want to get it fixed by Oneplus. Do you have any experience with Oneplus' repair service? If so, did the phone work the same as before?

P.S.: Get a phone case that protects your 7T, not the included one but a sturdy one, it is a bit fragile and will most likely not take many drops before it gets damaged. I had only dropped it once before and the second one was not that big of an impact.

Thank you so much for reading and for the help, community. I'll be reading.

-AD

N1582908123656 likes this.
  2. alrondoman
    Froyo Dec 30, 2019

alrondoman , Dec 30, 2019 :
    I have a similar situation where I dropped my 7 pro, and have cracked the screen. fortunately I don't have any image issues, just the screen lags and shows false touch input when it's humid/raining. anyway, I sent a service request and the OnePlus repair center in Texas emailed me to ship the phone to them, but didn't say how much it would cost.

How do you know the cost and is anyone aware if ~155 is the common screen repair cost??

N1583483401439 and AbeDZ like this.
  3. Horsault
    Nougat Moderator Dec 30, 2019

Horsault , Dec 30, 2019 :
    OnePlus repair service is performed by companies selected for their competences.
    In Europe, repair fees + shipping is about 20€, and you must of course add taxes (in EU, they chose a country with rather low VAT).
    I'd advise you to trust their repair service. As your device suffered a drop, they'll be able to tell whether some internal component was damaged beside screen (like a connector, or camera), and replace it too. Whereas if you repaired by yourself (or any corner shop), you risk a partial repair only.

Adinia, Starcommander and AbeDZ like this.
  4. miha1L
    Donut Jan 2, 2020

miha1L , Jan 2, 2020 :
    I have a similar issue. I dropped it on the wooden floor with a carpet, the phone was in its silicone case. Got the pixels (4-5) and the lines. In about 10 hours it was pink and in 30 hours became totally black. I submitted a service request and now waiting for their reply. The phone cannot be used.
    I was deeply surprised by such fragility of my OP7T.

AbeDZ likes this.
  5. Cullen.Reed
    Cupcake Jan 2, 2020

Cullen.Reed , Jan 2, 2020 :
    I have had the same issue. I dropped my phone from onto a carpet floor and the screen got pixelated and then completely unusable. I submitted a service request and haven't heard anything. Starting to wonder if I should have gotten an iPhone 11.

AbeDZ likes this.
  6. AbeDZ
    Eclair Jan 3, 2020

AbeDZ , Jan 3, 2020 :
    Hi, alrondoman.

It's unfortunate you dropped your Oneplus 7 Pro. I got that price from Oneplus' USA offical website. You can see here: https://www.oneplus.com/support/repair-pricing I checked and the price for screen replacement for the 7 Pro is $165 plus other fees in the US.

Greetings.

Edit: username was wrong LOL

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020

7. AbeDZ
    Eclair Jan 3, 2020

AbeDZ , Jan 3, 2020 :
    Hey, Horsault.
    I will submit a repair request sooner-than-later, however, I wish the price you mentioned was near what Oneplus' offical USA website lists as the official price for screen replacement. See here for yourself: https://www.oneplus.com/support/repair-pricing $154 plus other fees, in the US. My friend mentioned that other internal components might have been damaged, as you said, but I don't think so. Anyways, because it's not a super popular phone--like an iPhone or Galaxy--I do not trust a corner repair shop to get the job done or myself.

Thanks for input. Greetings.

AD

8. AbeDZ
    Eclair Jan 3, 2020

AbeDZ , Jan 3, 2020 :
    OMG! You dropped in a wooden floor with a carpet and with a silicone case and still the screen was damaged? WTF! That sucks! The phone feels really light but I'm surprised that it's so fragile. I'm tempted to just buy a cheap phone like a Samsung Galaxy S10e but I really like the 7T so will give it one more chance and buy a sturdy protective case. By the way, how long ago did you submit your repair request?

Cheers.

9. AbeDZ
    Eclair Jan 3, 2020

AbeDZ , Jan 3, 2020 :
    Wow! The more cases I read the more I am tempted to buy another phone rather than spend the money on the repair service. I was disappointed when my screen stopped working after I dropped it, especially because it was only the second time I had dropped it. Now, you dropped it on carpet floor and it still stopped working--WTF?! I wonder if a sturdy case will do the job against drops... By the way, how long ago did you submit the repair request?

Cheers, mate.

10. Horsault
    Nougat Moderator Jan 3, 2020

Horsault , Jan 3, 2020 :
    Drops are hazard.
    I saw a HDD on a laptop in dose mode, damaged after a 10 cm (~4 inches) drop on a wood table. But it was on wrong angle. And I saw others resisting to a table-high drop with no damage. You can never say which drop will break something, and sometimes it seems the drop was too light to cause damage, but your device is OOO all the same.

AbeDZ likes this.
  11. miha1L
    Donut Jan 4, 2020

AbeDZ likes this.
  12. miha1L
    Donut Jan 13, 2020

miha1L , Jan 13, 2020 :
    the total cost for the screen replacement was about 200 EUR. As well the mainboard was replaced (in warranty). quite a lot for 4 weeks of usage

AbeDZ likes this.
  13. miha1L
    Donut Jan 14, 2020

AbeDZ likes this.
  14. Anakreon
    Cupcake Jan 22, 2020

Anakreon , Jan 22, 2020 :
    Yea, i have same issue. The phone was dropped and the display is broken. The screen is black and some pixels are visible The finger print, front camera, face recognition and the display are working. I see Screen is 138,60 € but how much is the other fee... shipping and labor...nobody told you :/

AbeDZ likes this.
  15. Horsault
    Nougat Moderator Jan 22, 2020

Horsault , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Jan 22, 2020 :

Anakreon

Yea, i have same issue. The phone was dropped and the display is broken. The screen is black and some pixels are visible The finger print, front camera, face recognition and the display are working. I see Screen is 138,60 € but how much is the other fee... shipping and labor...nobody told you :/​

Shipping & handling, labor cost, taxes, everything is detailed in the repair proposition after your phone examination.

AbeDZ likes this.
  16. miha1L
    Donut Jan 23, 2020

miha1L , Jan 23, 2020 :
    Screen+taxes 170EUR
    Labor 23EUR
    Shipping via UPS within EU (RO-PL-RO) - no charges

AbeDZ and Horsault like this.
  17. AbeDZ
    Eclair Jan 24, 2020

AbeDZ , Jan 24, 2020 :
    Good point, Horsault, though, I get the impression that the Oneplus 7T will almost inevitably break with any drop. I had the Oneplus 3 before and I dropped several times and everything continued to work fine. Now I have the iPhone 8 Plus and I've dropped it several times and it still works. Anyways, I will buy protective cases when I fix the 7T.

Cheers.

AD

18. AbeDZ
    Eclair Jan 25, 2020

AbeDZ , Jan 25, 2020 :
    Thank you for all the info, @miha1L. It really helps to know all the costs of repair as well as how long they took to respond. 👍

After about a month since I broke my Oneplus 7T, I have finally decided to send a request for it to be fixed. I'll need to buy a well-built, protective case too.

Cheers, man.
    AD

19. M1574814417512
    Cupcake Jan 25, 2020

M1574814417512 , Jan 25, 2020 :
    I had my screen fail too after a bump that I didn't even think twice about while in its case. I sent it in for repair and it cost $250cad and took 16 days from me starting the request to repair to getting it back. And the worst part is that the finger print sensor no longer works properly. I rescanned my finger print(a couple times) and if anything that made it worse, I usually cannot unlock my phone using the finger print sensor. I did love my phone when I first got it but the quality is pathetic compared to every other phone I've had, I will be telling everybody to avoid oneplus.

20. miha1L
    Donut Jan 25, 2020

miha1L , via OnePlus 7T , Jan 25, 2020 :
    I bought the carbon bumper case, but it is quite slippery, so I'm using again the standard silicone case.