9 Cases reviewed in very thorough detail.

?

Which Case Would You Prefer

1. Stock OnePlus Hard-case

2.9%
  2. Stock OnePlus Flip Case

26.5%
  3. Dayjoy Aluminium Bumper

5.9%
  4. Mofi Flip Case

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Tudia Cygen

5.9%
  6. Generic TPU Case

5.9%
  7. Ringke Fusion

8.8%
  8. TPU+Skin

5.9%
  9. Others

38.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. erakin99
    Eclair Jan 10, 2015

erakin99 , Jan 10, 2015 :
    There are a lot of case reviews out there but I noticed they rarely drew up comparisons to other options and always seemed to miss out the finer details so here's one to help my fellow members make up their minds.

Alright, making form meet function often isn't an easy task and with the few available options, protecting our lesser known One while making the two meet is quite difficult. Most would like to protect their devices and show it off; after all, it wasn't easy getting One for many and an outstanding (and hard earned) device deserves an outstanding look.

The One's design is fluid and elegant but by virtue, simple and doesn't scream out from within the pack, so making it retain its individuality even with a case on, isn't going to be easy. With that in mind, we'll take a look at our options:

Stock hard cases with branding are out because:

1. Although they have an elegant, minimalistic design, they offer flimsy protection with no cushioning or impact absorption.

2. These are also prone to developing stress and impact cracks.

3. They leave the top and bottom exposed. One drop onto concrete or asphalt is all it will take to crack the case and damage the device.

so, looks: 4/5
    actually doing their jobs: 2/5

Stock flip covers are out as well, because of:

1. The above factors which are somewhat compensated by the flip cover screen protection but the covers don't stay covering the screen as they should due to the lack of any kind of magnetic or suction binding, which means it could just as easily flap open during a fall.

2. The cover itself has a good feeling to it but has a featureless back which i think could have at very least sported a pattern of some sort if not the OnePlus branding.

looks: 3/5
    protection: 3/5

Now All other cases lose original branding but if the protection is satisfactory and the imitation branding is both visible enough and close enough to the original, it satisfies on all accounts (after all, both the One and it's buyers for the most part, prioritize just that bit more, function over form).

Highest on the Aesthetics list:

Dayjoy Aluminium bumper.

Protects all sides, leaves the back and face exposed. Thoughts:

1. Leaving the face open is inevitable and can be for the most part remedied by a tempered glass screen protector.

2. Although the One's back is swappable, it isn't cheap (referring to the original with NFC antenna) and one drop on an uneven surface could not just scratch and scuff but also cause deeper damage.

3. It's a little rough around the edges and may be slightly uncomfortable to run your fingers over and sometimes while typing but these are the inside edges so they don't get in your way while holding the device.

4. I didn't notice anything of the sort but many users did complain of severe signal attenuation.

looks: 4.5/5
    protection: 1.5/5

Highest on the Protection list:

A. Mofi flip case.
    Protects all sides and the back and the screen as well (TPU+fibercloth composite hybrid) Thoughts:

1. The flip cover doesn't stay closed here either.

2. The fit is excellent.

3. Despite the photographs, the black faux leather version looks and feels like kid-skin (the four legged variety of kid), giving an overall surprisingly premium feel and look.

4. However, just like fine leather, the topmost layer is easily damaged with just a little pressure by pointed objects (like earrings when held to the ear while on a call as seen post 3 months of use by a friend).

5. The redeeming factor is definitely the quality of this Chinese case. I expected the top faux leather layer to peel off sooner rather than later but it shows no sign of doing so now or in the foreseeable future. I don't see any of the gluing coming apart at the back and the case material, although is constituted by some kind of fibercloth-like composite, isn't separating at the edges either.

6. The top and bottom edges stick out more than I would like.

7. No OnePlus branding (i haven't tried it but a manufacturer named Chevron makes something similar as far as I can see from pictures + branding).

8. All this being said, a flip case is only for some while being too cumbersome an accessory for others.

looks: 3/5
    protection: 4.5/5

B. Tudia Cygen (TPU+Polycarbonate hybrid).
    This is definitely the best protection you can get out of a TPU/hard case. Thoughts:

1. Excellent fit and quality as well.

2. While you can't expect it to withstand a truck running over it, the hard polycarbonate back layer and TPU below are excellent protection against flat impact during drops, scuffs and scratches.

3. Its simple-looking but can catch the eye with contrasting colors that the polycarbonate part comes in (red polycarbonate+black TPU for example).

4. There is however no OnePlus branding so although your device wouldn't look generic, it wouldn't look like a OnePlus One either.

5. Verdict is that if you're the TPU/Bumper type of person whose focus is protection, this is your case of choice. But although this comes close to being the last stop, it certainly would be a compromise for One purists.

looks: 3.5/5
    protection: 3.8/5

Generic clear TPU cases.
    I've tried a couple but although they provide a satisfactory level of protection,

1. The clear ones yellow under sunlight, obviously and even with the sandstone black version, the yellow pallor is clearly visible.

2. Others are of slightly better quality but have a foggy back which take away what advantage the clear ones provide.

3. They invariably give a cheap feel to the device.

4. I'm nitpicking but since I've owned very many cases before, I know the abrasive effect the inside of the case can have on the device back over time and since I now own the sandstone black version, I'm all the more concerned about it's delicate finish rubbing off so I generally place something like tissue or foam between the device back and the case, which I can't do if the case is clear.

(clear) looks: 3/5
    (colored and frosted) looks : 1/5
    (both) protection: 3.5/5

The best of both worlds (supposed to be):
    Rearth's Ringke Fusion Case

Supposed to be the best of both worlds, the Ringke combines the the all round protection of TPU and the rigid impact protection of the hard back. This design however is flawed by virtue. Thoughts:

1. The given ability to place with ease, artwork of your choice (incorporating the OnePlus logo) under the case is a novel idea and adds flair and uniqueness to the handheld as a whole.

2. It comes in clear and smoky black variants to show off the phone inside or user-chosen artwork but adds an unacceptable increase in volume to the phone and a blocky design due to the flat back that doesn't curve at the phone back does. So, with a case like that, the phone may be described confusingly as artistic but not aesthetic.

3. As with all fusion cases, the TPU and hard back will eventually come apartment; how soon, I don't know.

looks: 2.8/5
    protection: 3.6/5

That's pretty much everything there is out there, unless you're willing to try this:

My Setup:

Diztronic case + Skinnova Silver carbon fiber skin (dbrand if you can get it) + Nillkin Tempered Glass screen protector (honorable mention because you can't have a non-flip case without it or an equivalent like Orzly's).

It brought the back and right-around protection of the TPU case, plus the uniqueness, customizability and branding of the skin. The tempered glass should take care of the scratches and most drops. There's a word constraint so for a full review of the case and skin, check out the comment below.

looks: 4.5/5
    protection: 3.5/5

It's been done by a few others too and you can see combinations they've posted on the forums here: https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/dbrand-black-titanium-skin-on-diztronic-case.186468/, here: https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/my-oneplus-one-setup-case-skin.100986/ and here: http://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/2mm7p3/decided_to_try_the_diztronic_case_dbrand_skin/.

It's taken me a while to get round to publishing this but all cases have been tried and tested by me on either one of the two variants over an aggregate period of four months before being given away so I can vouch for these statements wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, I'm a careful person and can't provide drop test results; pictures aren't available either but Google always is. I do once in a while communicate with the companies to provide feedback that I think they should incorporate so let me know what cases you prefer and why in the comments below...cheers.

Attached Files:

2. erakin99
    Eclair Jan 10, 2015

I) I'll start with the Diztronic TPU case.

It has all the general characteristics of TPUs but:

1. Like some and unlike others, it was a little stiff. It would've been more pleasing to hold and use if the TPU material was a little softer. Since it isn't, the following drawback is a resultant.

o) Although the fit is good enough, it isn't tight enough to prevent any water sitting on the screen from seeping under the lip in case the phone is (for example) caught under the rain.

2. This is crucial: the back of the case is smooth, entirely plain and uniform (unlike most cases) and follows the curvature of the device very well (unlike the flat, awkward ringke), having nearly the same dimensions of the device back (the difference in excess being about 1.5 mm on the vertical and about 1mm across), which is extremely important because all skins made for the One go very well on the back, the result of which I've attached below.

II) The Skinnova Silver Carbon-fiber skin.

This one's for Indians who prefer not to make international purchases since it's the only brand in the country offering skins for the One that can be got here: http://www.gadgetshieldz.in/oneplus-one-skins-decals-wraps.html. Thoughts:

1. The carbon-fiber patterning and knit groove was excellently reproduced; that patterned coarseness is pleasant to touch and adds grip to the device. It catches the light and exhibits shadows just like carbon-fiber cloth and CFRP would.

2. I had no complaints about the quality of the skin and its 3M glue and non-sticky paper at the back either. It was as easy to apply as any other brand's.

3. The tint of the silver color seemed a little cheap. A lighter shade would've looked better.

4. My biggest peeve is in the composition of the skin. It seems to be made of layers, rather than one single layer. Why this is a problem is because of the nature of the OnePlus logo. It has a lot of inside edges, which can result in them being caught on surfaces with high traction like the user's fingers or the cloth in his/her pockets. Now I mention this because it has already happened with me and I can see that although the skin is still firmly stuck on everywhere, the top layer of the skin at the sharp corner on the inside of the "+" in the "1+" has lifted by minute proportions, which if left unchecked, will surely peel off until the skin is no longer usable. This I've fixed with a small square piece of clear tape over the logo.

Still, skins aren't too expensive and replacing them every few months is something I can live with in exchange for the overwhelmingly satisfactory result.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015

peteryu, Reus and gusuraman like this.
  3. Reus
    Jelly Bean Jan 10, 2015

Reus , Jan 10, 2015 :
    I have MOFI flip case, the only cons was the side button hole. It was too narrow/tight. Make it hard to reach and press the side button (both power and volume).
    Btw you did great job here! Excellent comparison!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015

4. Rayned0wn
    Froyo Jan 10, 2015

Rayned0wn , Jan 10, 2015 :
    What is the durability like without a case? I tend to not keep my phones in cases, as the last 3 phones I've owned since 2006 have been very durable smart phones, and have not cracked, despite multiple drops.

5. TimT0
    Cupcake Jan 10, 2015

TimT0 , Jan 10, 2015 :
    i like the Nillkin frosted very happy of it has a better feel than the sandstone black . Although i would love a case that would add a dimple like the motorola phones have :)

6. peteryu
    KitKat Jan 10, 2015

gusuraman likes this.
  7. bombadier
    KitKat Jan 10, 2015

c4chilli likes this.
  8. gusuraman
    Community Veteran Jan 10, 2015

peteryu likes this.
  9. peteryu
    KitKat Jan 10, 2015

peteryu , Jan 10, 2015 :
    oops, you were one step ahead :p

gusuraman likes this.
  10. Ryane18
    Donut Jan 10, 2015

Ryane18 , Jan 10, 2015 :
    I am definitely in need of the protection, as I work in landscaping/construction, but I like the flip cases. Do the flip cases have enough protection to make it worth my money? I take very good care to not hurt my phone or drop it so I don't need it to be indestructible per say...

11. erakin99
    Eclair Jan 10, 2015

The phone is quite solidly built so as long as it doesn't drop face down there wont be any severe damage but you can definitely expect material deformation at the point of impact if its the sides.

gusuraman likes this.
  12. gusuraman
    Community Veteran Jan 10, 2015

gusuraman , Jan 10, 2015 :
    It's ok. continue tagging me. sometimes i miss new thread notification:)

peteryu likes this.
  13. bombadier
    KitKat Jan 10, 2015

bombadier , Jan 10, 2015 :
    Somebody in your game needs protection for this phone,have you considered a tempered screen glass and something like the cruzerlite bugdroid which would protect agains hard drops ?

14. bilalniazi
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 10, 2015

bilalniazi , Jan 10, 2015 :
    No tudia slim?!

15. erakin99
    Eclair Jan 10, 2015

I forgot to mention the buttons....Its the only case on the list apart from the generics that suffer from this. It's a pity though...its an excellent case otherwise.

16. erakin99
    Eclair Jan 10, 2015

I took one case of each type so left out the Slim since it was the same plain TPU type as the Diztronic.

bilalniazi likes this.
  17. bilalniazi
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 10, 2015

bilalniazi , Jan 10, 2015 :
    Its bulky but its awesome. Makes you feel like you have batman as your bodyguard :p

18. forgetfartuun
    Jelly Bean Jan 10, 2015

19. erakin99
    Eclair Jan 10, 2015

If flip-cases are your thing and protection is what you need then I think MOFI is most suitable, Choose the color and pattern wisely though, they have a lot of funky stuff.

Ryane18 likes this.
  20. Thedulli
    Gingerbread Jan 10, 2015

Thedulli , Jan 10, 2015 :
    The tudia Cygen has been a lifesaver for me, being a clumsy person at the best of times. I'd vouch for a higher protection rating based on unintended drop tests!