90 Hz + QHD is better than 120 Hz + FHD+...

1. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Oct 18, 2020

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Oct 18, 2020 :
    Too much has been made out about higher refresh rate displays. Yes they are better, but have been given too much importance than they deserve.

Your user experience isn't going to be 'significantly' better on a 120 Hz panel compared to a 60 Hz panel. And that is also confirmed by Apple's decision to opt for a 60Hz panel + 5G for their iPhone 12 lineup instead of 120Hz + 4G.

Both OnePlus 7T Pro and the 8T Pro have better cameras than the 8T. And with comparable (or even better) displays, processor and other hardware, they are better products.

OnePlus is clearly keeping their PRO models, including those from the previous generation, superior to the non-Pro models of the current generation.

Rajendra.Bhat likes this.
  2. Tokolozi
    Nougat Oct 18, 2020

Tokolozi , Oct 18, 2020 :
    So? Looking at the pricing of the device it also makes sense. The T model falls someone in between.

It's not like you have to buy a new one each time there release.

3. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Oct 18, 2020

Yes, the device still offers a great product for the price. I am saying the company consciously kept the hardware at par or below that of the Pro models, even if there wasn't any cost implications.

For example, they could have provided the SD865+ processor, LPDDR5 RAM (present in 8Pro). But they chose not to. They retained the SD865 and LPDDRX4 present on the 8.

The other reason for this thread is the fact that the 7T Pro is priced the same as the 8T. Unless an additional year of software upgrade is absolutely essential, one should go for the 7T Pro over the 8T.

All these are especially applicable for those looking to buy a new phone, and are upgrading from from a 3 or 4 year old phone.

Rajendra.Bhat likes this.
  4. bpaterson
    Eclair Oct 18, 2020

bpaterson , via OnePlus 5T , Oct 18, 2020 :
    OnePlus hasn't figured out that not everyone wants a phablet to get the good camera and top hardware. Apple figured it out, Samsung figured it out. OnePlus better, you keep throwing substandard equipment into the regular phone guess what? You're going to lose customers. The only reason to stay for the 8T is the charging. Put two useful good cameras on the device and use them in all your devices. Two crappy cameras just add weight.
    Yes they changed up this time around and might only put out one 'Pro' model a year now so this year the 8T gets shafted with no SOC upgrade so it won't outshine the Older Pro. They still charged a premium price though. It may as well have it.

RevidFfum likes this.
  5. Rajendra.Bhat
    Jelly Bean Oct 18, 2020

Rajendra.Bhat , Oct 18, 2020 :
    Obviously Pro models will have their best features. 8T is a weird mid range phone. it needs to be better than their budget phone Nord and at the same time keeping specs below their flagship. I think OP missed the mark this time.

6. Rajendra.Bhat
    Jelly Bean Oct 18, 2020

Rajendra.Bhat , Oct 18, 2020 :
    Apple and samsung are way ahead. Hope OP will catch them. Hope!

7. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Oct 18, 2020

Yes it is time that OEMs start making smaller phones, and by that I mean in the 5 to 5.5 inch screens, given that the bezel-less designs today allow for a much larger viewing experience even with a small form factor.

They are making high MP cameras for the price, and the quality shows in real life, despite how impressive it seems on paper. Like the Pixel, they should provide at least one flagship camera, and then play around with the rest to differentiate between the normal and PRO models. And particularly in the premium segment where both phones sell, unlike the Nord which is a budget device.

8. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Oct 18, 2020

It is a very good phone and fills in the gap between the Nord and the Pro well. I wish they had given a telephoto lens in place of the macro and monochrome lenses, both of which are pretty useless for most. They could have played around with the sensors and the lens to differentiate from the Pro. I would have been still okay for using the IMX586 sensor in place of the IMX689 (present in 8Pro), if they had given a telephoto lens.

9. RevidFfum , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Oct 19, 2020 :
    The 8T is not competitive at all. Samsung's offering is cheaper with same or better specs.

The Pro line should not have been introduced, it dilutes OP product line, and add more phones that OP is ill equipped to support.

The 8T should have had a better camera and 865+, but would outshine the Pro line and alienate people that bought Pro phones.

At least OP is going back to flat screens.

malidan likes this.
  10. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Oct 23, 2020 at 7:48 AM

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Oct 23, 2020 at 7:48 AM :
    Assuming you are in the US, the 8T that is more expensive than the Samsung S20FE is a 12GB/ 256GB variant as opposed to the 8GB/ 128GB on the Samsung device.

The cameras on the FE are definitely better, has wireless charging and has IP68 water & dust resistance. In my region, it comes with the Exynos processor and I am not sure if it will support GCam.

But software on the 8T is better. That's very important for me. And with GCam port, I guess the cameras would largely be taken care of. I only wish they included the telephoto lens instead of the macro and monochrome lenses.

11. Scherpenseel
    KitKat Oct 23, 2020 at 8:25 AM

Scherpenseel , Oct 23, 2020 at 8:25 AM :
    I really really don't agree with this statement. Have you even tried both screens? It's a complete new user experience. Also I don't understand why you would use Apple to confirm your statement. Apple has not made a good decision since they lost Steve.

12. malidan
    Nougat Oct 23, 2020 at 8:50 AM

malidan , Oct 23, 2020 at 8:50 AM :
    The software on the 8T is deffinately not better than One UI, If you prefer it you prefer it, but One UI is:
    . More stable
    . Better supported
    . Way more advanced

Gcam is for crappy phones with poor cameras, I don't remember it making the previous 7&8's any better in any comparisons I saw. I've seen midrange Xiaomi comparisons and it didn't even improve those either.

Matt 80 likes this.
  13. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Oct 23, 2020 at 9:09 AM

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Oct 23, 2020 at 9:09 AM :
    Yes, how else would I be in a position to make a statement like that? In what way is it a completely new user experience? The difference between 60Hz & 120Hz is largely visible when you are scrolling through an app. But how often do you keep scrolling like that?

And as with games too, I wouldn't say there is too much difference. Given a choice, I would choose a QHD+90Hz over a FHD+120Hz panel. The reason they are putting out the FHD+120Hz screens is because on a small screen like a mobile device, FHD+ is good enough for the most part, and it is also cheaper to make. Another reason is the content. You have far more content in 1080p than 1440p. So majority use is still in FHD.

Reason for quoting Apple is to explain the rationale behind their decision to stick with a 60Hz panel and give 5G instead of a 120Hz panel with 4G for the same/ similar cost. That's because of the utility factor which is much higher with a 5G device than a 120Hz panel.

While it is fine to criticize, Apple doesn't want to disturb a model that still works for them. Whatever our individual opinions about the company or their products, they have been successfully maintaining the lead in the industry and even today are setting the benchmarks that the competition is always trying to match or keep up with. They are still the trendsetters in this industry.

14. Scherpenseel
    KitKat Oct 23, 2020 at 9:19 AM

Scherpenseel , Oct 23, 2020 at 9:19 AM :
    Then I don't understand. I would agree with you if we were talking about 90Hz vs 120Hz. But everything looks a lot smoother. Scrolling and moving through applications looks faster. And in games it looks as if you are using a speedup button. Maybe the experience is different to you, but you can very much see a large difference between 60Hz and 120Hz.

15. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Oct 23, 2020 at 9:32 AM

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Oct 23, 2020 at 9:32 AM :
    I have been using OOS for over 3.5 years and never has stability issues. So I don't know what you mean. What is better supported and more advanced? Instead of general statements, be more specific with examples.

What is it that you can do with a Samsung phone that you can't with a OnePlus phone? Let's hear that out to make for a better debate.

There are two types of users:

1. One who want everything to work out of the box without having to install anything.
    2. One who want everything to be supported so the user can install what he/ she wants.

You belong to category 1 and I belong to category 2. True that some features work best when built into the OS like internet access control, scrolling screenshot, screen recording using internal audio, face unlock, etc. But for most other uses, you have very good apps on the Google Play Store.

GCam made night photography possible on phones that did not natively support that feature when Google launched it, including Samsung phones. So your argument of GCam being good only for crappy phones is rejected.

That said, companies have made significant improvements in the camera department ever since the Pixel phones were launched, and GCam mods are still useful for people with flagship phones from other brands, unless they aren't too much into photography since the stock apps do a pretty decent job too.

16. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Oct 23, 2020 at 9:37 AM

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Oct 23, 2020 at 9:37 AM :
    Yes they do look faster and smoother, and make for a better user experience. But how often do you keep scrolling? You read more than scrolling. And for reading, 60Hz is just as good as 120Hz. Besides, 120Hz is only the maximum setting for the display, and the OS keeps switching the refresh rates dynamically based on what is showing on the screen.

In other words, your display is at 60Hz for far longer time than it is at 120Hz. This also saves battery. So providing a feature that you are more likely to use makes sense, as it did in the case of Apple.

17. malidan
    Nougat Oct 23, 2020 at 10:51 AM

malidan , Oct 23, 2020 at 10:51 AM :
    The OS is years behind One UI and is now in fact trying to be like One UI. What can you do on a Samsung you can't on a OP?
    DEX it arrived in 2017 its 2020 now and it's gone wireless.
    960 FPS turned off on the Note 8, but was unlocked in 2018.
    8K still beyond OP
    AOD on introduced days ago and been on a Samsung forever, it was even on budget phones and there is more there always is.

OP are playing catchup and always will be, look at the software needed to run the foldables?
    Years ahead Bro, years ahead.

I know you have been reading those change logs, because in have and they dont make pretty reading even when you hide most of the bugs in others. Random reboots and shutdowns sound like a stability issue to me, Phantom touches also sounds like a stability issue to me.

Hold on with the Gcam night rubbish Huawei was first with an automated app selection and even the Honors had it before Google arrived. With theirs. Night photography on a mobile phone has existed on any phone that had Manual mode and if you didn't have it you could install Open Camera. So no Samsung's didn't need Gcam nobody did but what better way to brainwash people Into your colour science than to throw a free app out there.

Even the OPO could take long exposure pictures, so I don't know why everyone is so eager to give Google credit for something they stole again. What do you think would happen if Samsung, Apple and Huawei made their camera apps public, how long do you think Gcam would survive?

Areebanwar, Loveit and Matt 80 like this.
  18. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Oct 23, 2020 at 11:30 AM

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Oct 23, 2020 at 11:30 AM :
    Samsung as a company and a conglomerate is just too large in terms of size, resources and depth of pockets. There is just no comparison here. The amount of money they spend in research alone is probably more than what OnePlus as a company had made so far. But that is not the point of our argument.

The point is this:

Samsung packs in a lot of stuff most users actually don't need. A lot of that sound good on paper, but has very little practical application. DEX, 8K videos etc are just fancy stuff even today. Why would you but a thousand dollar phone but run the apps on a PC? How long will your built-in storage last if you start recording 8k videos? That should explain why these are nothing more than just fanciful.

This is like a company making a car with flying capabilities. How many do you think would actually need that or use that? Sure there will be a very small niche that will buy that, but that doesn't make that car a better one than those that can't fly, atleast from a practical point of view.

We have 3 OnePlus devices in the family and the experience has been great with all of them. There has never been any problem with any of those.

OnePlus has made the right choices in terms of tradeoffs they made when designing devices for the market their products are meant to serve. And with an OS that is simple and lightweight, the user experience has been extremely good, despite the compromises. The ability to natively block internet access to apps is the single biggest reason (also why I left out Samsung this time too) for me to choose OOS over any other Android version. They don't pack ads and pesky notifications in the OS like MIUI.

And you should stop paying too much attention to complaints in the forum because much of that is user related and not device specific. You will find similar complaints in other forums too if you pay attention.

19. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Oct 23, 2020 at 11:41 AM

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Oct 23, 2020 at 11:41 AM :
    If Samsung S21 comes with 6G support, I hope you realise that sounds good only on paper and that the premium they charge you for having that technology is basically a wasted expense for you.

We have a news channel in my country that has collaborated with Samsung to shoot all their videos in the studio on a Galaxy Note. This is a very popular channel although they do much less journalism than propaganda.

That said, imagine how much Samsung would be paying this channel for this arrangement. And who is paying Samsung? Customers like you. So a lot of the premium you pay is not just for the device hardware, but also to cover the mammoth marketing expenses of these companies.

20. ashoktvm
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 23, 2020 at 2:15 PM

ashoktvm , Oct 23, 2020 at 2:15 PM :
    Coming from 60hz panel using oneplus 6 really notice a difference in smoothness.