90 Hz refresh rate makes Pokemon Go Harder

1. Acyvas
    Donut Jul 9, 2019

Acyvas , Jul 9, 2019 :
    Just got my OnePlus 7 Pro and I noticed that it actually makes Pokemon Go harder in terms of throwing curve balls. You really have to spin the ball fast to get a curve ball if playing on 90 Hz. However it does look Soo Soo smoothe.

JCB60, Superdude0815 and heero503 like this.
  2. heero503
    Cupcake Jul 9, 2019

heero503 , Jul 9, 2019 :
    same here, if it is possible, please consider if we can change the refresh rate by each app. It will be much better for pokemon go like apps.

Superdude0815 and Acyvas like this.
  3. malidan
    Nougat Jul 9, 2019

malidan , Jul 9, 2019 :
    Your mind is telling you it's smoother because that's the hype. Maybe you have to spin harder because the actual framerate in the game has dropped.
    Just a thought, well I've seen a review where the framerate in a game was higher on a 60hz screen than the 7P at 90hz.:eek:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019

Acyvas likes this.
  4. Magnetic Nerd
    Jelly Bean Jul 9, 2019

Magnetic Nerd , Jul 9, 2019 :
    yep the higher the refresh rate the more you have to spin to throw curveballs etc

its the same on the Razer Phones and ROG.

5. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Jul 9, 2019

Discostu , Jul 9, 2019 :
    Sounds like it could be a bug in Po Go potentially? I recall ages ago that through a bug the game would run at 60fps instead of the 30fps it was meant to be at, this was then fixed. I wonder if it is switching between frame-rates in the app and causing drops? It might be that the app is detecting the screen refresh rate and isn't able to run it effectively because it isn't meant to be at such a high rate? All speculation of course :)

Out of interest, have you tried setting the phone to 60hz and then playing Po Go again to see if any changes occur?

Hopefully OnePlus can implement some kind of gaming feature that allows you to lock the fps of a game similar to what Razer have done in their lineup.

heero503 likes this.
  6. Acyvas
    Donut Jul 9, 2019

Acyvas , Jul 9, 2019 :
    Yes. it plays like it normally does at 60hz. What is funny is that in raids I don't get the Dodge Glitch as often with 90hz.

Discostu and heero503 like this.
  7. Superdude0815
    Donut Jul 10, 2019

Superdude0815 , Jul 10, 2019 :
    I'm having the same issues with Pokemon Go ever since switching to my OnePlus 7 Pro, throwing (and aiming) curve balls is next to impossible with 90Hz and QHD+. That's why I switched to FHD+ and 60Hz permanently, but that's really a shame. A while ago I actually opened a suggestion for OnePlus to add the possibility to Game Mode to configure display resolution and refresh rate on a per-game basis instead of one global switch, maybe if more people would up-vote that then OnePlus would take this issue more seriously. The suggestion is here: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...fresh-rate-configurable-per-app-game.1041191/

Skuis and Discostu like this.
  8. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Jul 10, 2019

Discostu , Jul 10, 2019 :
    Fingers crossed they implement a gaming feature like that. It would make life a lot easier!

Superdude0815 likes this.
  9. Chauncey765
    Cupcake Jul 10, 2019

Chauncey765 , Jul 10, 2019 :
    Same issue here... I really hope they implement Game Mode display resolution options.

Such a shame to have to downgrade the resolution to play PGo

Superdude0815 likes this.
  10. JBasoo
    Cupcake Jul 20, 2019

JBasoo , Jul 20, 2019 :
    I'd definitely like to see per app settings for 90hz too. Pokémon Go is unplayable and I don't expect Niantic to fix such a niche issue until most phones are running 90hz or higher.

11. E1563708248677
    Cupcake Aug 27, 2019

E1563708248677 , Aug 27, 2019 :
    So I've just noticed that my Pokemon Go has now reverted to 60MHz....anyone else having this? If no, any recommended fixes? Have tried Battery Optimisation, Restarting Phone and Resolution Settings already.

12. Magnetic Nerd
    Jelly Bean Aug 27, 2019

Magnetic Nerd , Aug 27, 2019 :
    the latest update either broke the higher refresh rate or they stopped letting devices use it.

there's no work around.

13. Superdude0815
    Donut Aug 28, 2019

Superdude0815 , Aug 28, 2019 :
    I'm actually glad that Niantic has lowered the refresh rate in Pokémon Go 0.153. Now I can finally activate 90Hz in the phone's system settings again without breaking Pokémon Go, because in my opinion the game really was broken before this update. Throwing curve balls accurately was nearly impossible. I tried to get used to the different mechanics, but it was just too weird and hard to do, and clearly not how Niantic actually intended it to work. And curve balls are just too important in the game to just not use them at all, they increase chances to successfully catch Pokémon by a lot. So I guess Niantic now disabled support for 90/120Hz displays until they have tweaked their game to work well regardless of the screen refresh rate. They should have done so much sooner imho.