90HZ is a high refresh rate , well think again Sharp are back with 240HZ

1. malidan
    Marshmallow Sep 26, 2019

malidan , Sep 26, 2019 :
    That's right Not 90 but 240hz, now that's what I call fast and that's what I call smooth.
    With all the unwarranted Hype around today, Sharp almost silently launched the Fastest and smoothest screen ever seen on a mobile phone.
    With Android Q onboard

The Aquos Zero 2.

20190926_185421.jpg

Some quick specs

• Display: 6.4-inch OLED, Full HD+ 2340 × 1080 pixels, 240 Hz refresh rate
    • Operating System: Android 10
    • Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855, Octa Core
    • RAM: 8 GB LPDDR4x
    • Storage: 256 GB, UFS 3.0
    • Rear Cameras: 12 MP + Ultrawide Sensor, LED Flash
    • Selfie Camera: 8 MP
    • Security: In-display fingerprint scanner
    • Connectivity: 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac 2.4G + 5G, Bluetooth 5 .0, GPS, USB Type-C
    • Battery: 3,130mAh
    • Dimensions:158 x 74 x 8.8 mm
    • Weight: 143 g
    Source

Price unknown

2. mlulic
    Honeycomb Sep 27, 2019

geo07, Rusty NZ and Loveit like this.
  3. Loveit
    KitKat Sep 27, 2019

Loveit , Sep 27, 2019 :
    143g! Damn that's light. Was digging the specs until I saw 3130 mah battery.

4. malidan
    Marshmallow Sep 27, 2019

malidan , Sep 27, 2019 :
    How many apps support 90hz but we still get all the fanfare. One thing for sure it will have more supported apps than any OP device, seen as it can go down to 120hz and maybe even 90 but i don't see why you would do that.:tearsofjoy:

Jealousy is one of the 7 deadly sins.;)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019

5. mlulic
    Honeycomb Sep 27, 2019

Rusty NZ likes this.
  6. malidan
    Marshmallow Sep 28, 2019

malidan , Sep 28, 2019 :
    Now I bet you didnt say that when OP launched with a 90hz with virtually no support, when there was already support at 120hz.
    And now they have come back with the 7T at 90hz when there isn't much more support than there was before. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
    With Samsung Huawei, Apple and Xiaomi not bothering with 90Hz the support will basically stay the same. With the Rog 2 and the Razer at 120 and the new one maybe more this is where the support will grow. I just can't see the big boys messing with 90hz for any of their flagships when 120hz has been out for year.

90Hz is a gimmick.

I dunno why you mentioning PC'S in a mobile phone screen debate.:rolleyes:

7. Areebanwar
    Honeycomb Sep 28, 2019

Rusty NZ likes this.
  8. malidan
    Marshmallow Sep 28, 2019

malidan , Sep 28, 2019 :
    On the contrary I said the7 pro was a good phone, but as usual the fanfare tries to make it out to be more than it is. I just take a dig at fans who carry on like OP is better than everybody else.
    The whole 90hz this is a joke ( OP was not the first to use 90hz) when you actually have reviewers saying it's the best thing since sliced bread. One would have thought 120hz never existed on a phone for the last 5 years and now we have 240HZ.

I heard a reviewer say "OP are the first to release with Android 10 out of the box" but the Sharp was officaly released the day before the 7T with Android 10 out of the box.:confused:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019

Areebanwar likes this.
  9. Areebanwar
    Honeycomb Sep 28, 2019

Areebanwar , Sep 28, 2019 :
    "Marketing" :p

malidan likes this.
  10. malidan
    Marshmallow Sep 28, 2019

11. Navdeep_Malik
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 28, 2019

12. Rusty NZ
    Marshmallow Oct 1, 2019

Discostu and mlulic like this.
  13. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Oct 1, 2019

Salt505, YRJ and Rusty NZ like this.
  14. Rusty NZ
    Marshmallow Oct 2, 2019

Rusty NZ , Oct 2, 2019 :
    Another good point.

YRJ likes this.
  15. malidan
    Marshmallow Oct 14, 2019

malidan , Oct 14, 2019 :
    Astonishing that the same two. People. Keep. turning up in my threads.
    Stalkers perhaps.

Then some individual trying to make out I said you can't see the difference on high refresh rates.
    Well when you have 60, 90, 120 and 240. I don't see how 90hz can be considered as high. Its higher than 60 but with two rates higher it certainly isn't high.

What I said previously was this

Screenshot_20191014_184356.jpg

And an survey by Phone Arena said with. 60hz ( 6T) and 90hz ( 7P) in hand 10 out of 10 people didn't see a difference.

Only when influenced and handed the 7Pro in 2 different mode could 5 out of 10 see a difference.
    It is quite obvious to me that the 60hz on the 7 Pro is vastly inferior to that of the OP6T.

Several days ago, I took the OnePlus 6T (60Hz) and the OnePlus 7 Pro (set to 90Hz), then I showed the two phones side by side to 10 people outside of the PhoneArena office. After confirming that none of them were familiar with the 7 Pro, I asked them a simple question: "Do these two screens look different?" I let them play with the two for at least a few minutes while taking down notes on their reactions.
    The answers to my question were mostly comments on qualities like contrast, colors, resolution, and sharpness. Surprisingly...

Source

ilovesoneplus likes this.
  16. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Oct 14, 2019

Discostu , Oct 14, 2019 :
    Normal people? What is a "normal person"?

Firstly you did not quote your source correctly. In his "first test" 1 out of 10 people noted a difference, see below:

Screenshot_20191015-063552.jpg

The second "test" yielded a 5/10 ratio of people noting a difference. Please qualify your statement regarding "influencing". I fail to see how the test subjects were influenced.

Secondly, I strongly question the validity and quality of this test:

Why was the sample size of test subjects so small?
    What was the environment they were placed in to run these tests? Were they indoors? outdoors?
    How did they choose their test participants?
    Was their a process involved to assess the test participants appropriateness for this test?
    Why were the test subjects only provided 1 minute to play with a single app?

Screenshot_20191015-063852.jpg

Finally, this is not how you conduct a proper and thorough scientific study and does nothing except demonstrate they put no thought into it.

This should have been run in a controlled environment with proper vetting of test subjects. They should have been provided multiple apps and phones to conduct this assessment along with a placebo, a phone they were told on purpose had a high refresh rate however did not. This test should also have included more than one phone with a high refresh rate.

In terms of your attempt to claim no one can tell the difference between 60 and 90hz - you have failed. Nor only did people note a difference, you provided a source with highly questionable data and testing methods.

I call into question the appropriateness of this.

Rusty NZ likes this.
  17. malidan
    Marshmallow Oct 14, 2019

malidan , Oct 14, 2019 :
    Funny how things turn out with no outside influences.

I asked them a simple question: "Do these two screens look different?" I let them play with the two for at least a few minutes while taking down notes on their reactions.

The answers to my question were mostly comments on qualities like contrast, colors, resolution, and sharpness. Surprisingly...

No Placebo effect here!

18. Liehjan
    Lollipop Oct 14, 2019

Liehjan , Oct 14, 2019 :
    That's a small battery for a phone with 240hz display.. Battery life between 3-5hrs SoT?

Rusty NZ likes this.
  19. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Oct 15, 2019

Discostu , via OnePlus 7 Pro Almond , Oct 15, 2019 :
    Again, you're demonstrable a willful ignorance to how poor this "test" was.

The article clearly states that he simply showed the screen to people for an indeterminate period of time under a non explained scenario. Then allowing them to use the device a second time.

This is at very poor test and has little to no value as a study.

Rusty NZ likes this.
  20. malidan
    Marshmallow Oct 15, 2019

malidan , Oct 15, 2019 :
    Without external interferance

Several days ago, I took the OnePlus 6T (60Hz) and the OnePlus 7 Pro (set to 90Hz), then I showed the two phones side by side to 10 people outside of the PhoneArena office.

Real world usage not a slow motion clip Is there a better test than real world usage for a screen?

After confirming that none of them were familiar with the 7 Pro, I asked them a simple question: "Do these two screens look different?" I let them play with the two for at least a few minutes while taking down notes on their reactions.

Amazing how the words of the person who Conducted the survey is being questioned

Fanboy ignorance beyond belief.:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: