Lollipop Nov 23, 2019

malidan and Loveit like this.
  5. Loveit
    KitKat Nov 23, 2019

malidan and Matt 80 like this.
  6. Loveit
    KitKat Nov 23, 2019

Loveit , Nov 23, 2019 :
    @malidan Any chance you could alert me if you see any more deals like that P30 Pro one please? Not necessarily that phone but anything good.

Black Friday week and I'm ready to snap up a bargain I suppose, even though I wasn't thinking about it really.

Matt 80 likes this.
  7. malidan
    Nougat Nov 23, 2019

malidan , Nov 23, 2019 :
    Will do I will be on the hunt. @ilovesoneplus linked me in on this one.:cool:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019

ilovesoneplus, Loveit and Matt 80 like this.
  8. malidan
    Nougat Dec 28, 2019

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019

Loveit and ilovesoneplus like this.
  9. Loveit
    KitKat Dec 29, 2019

10. aenews
    KitKat Jan 2, 2020

aenews , Jan 2, 2020 :
    At launch, there was no QHD+ OLED on any smartphone with a refresh rate higher than 60Hz. That's why it was so impressive. There definitely were high refresh rate displays out in the market, but only IPS not OLED panels. The sole exception would be the Asus ROG Phone (2018) which had an inferior FHD+ 90Hz OLED Display.

There were no 120Hz OLED of any resolution until the ROG 2 was released in September with an FHD+ 120Hz Display. Pixel 4XL has an equivalent 90Hz QHD+ OLED Panel.
    I actually watched this video a while before you posted it, as it was in my feed. That was Android Authority, not XDA.

The thing is that layman can rarely tell the difference between various refresh rates or various resolutions (beyond a point). I'm not really surprised. One of my housemates recently got a 120Hz Laptop. I played around with it, and it was evidently very smooth. He said he didn't see the difference. I was pretty surprised he couldn't tell even after I pointed out how it was smoother.

Plus, most consumers have only had exposure to 60Hz Displays most of their lives and haven't been exposed to higher refresh rate panels. In the future, as exposure expands the difference will likely be easier for them to see.

11. malidan
    Nougat Jan 2, 2020

malidan , Jan 2, 2020 :
    There is nothing impressive about adding 5 year old tech to a almost 10 year tech.
    That is purely a marketing gimmick, the Chinese firms have gone potty with first this and first that in an attempt to sell more devices.
    What difference does a oled make to the screens fluidity? NONE with the ECS video showing the Razors screen being vastly superior to the screen on the OP7P when it came to speed and fluidity.
    So that too is another marketing gimmick, so with next to no app support for 90hz it is a waste of time.

aenews and Matt 80 like this.
  12. aenews
    KitKat Jan 3, 2020

aenews , Jan 3, 2020 :
    OLED makes no difference in fluidity. The 7 Pro was exciting since it was a high refresh rate QHD+ OLED. It was the highest-end panel that could be attained from Samsung, and it was 90Hz.

There were options prior to the 7 Pro, but no OLED options aside from the Asus ROG which had a FHD+ 90Hz panel. You'd have to compromise with an IPS Display. Even on the IPS-side, there was only one phone with a high refresh rate QHD+ panel which was the Razer Phone 2 (120Hz). So yeah. 7 Pro was the second OLED to have a high refresh rate and second QHD panel to have a high refresh rate. It was the first to have both, and the display was the highest grade available from Samsung.

There was actually no other QHD+ OLED phone with high refresh rate until the Pixel 4 XL launched in October. It has a panel with the same specifications.

I'm pretty excited to see the 120Hz QHD+ OLED that will almost certainly drop in the S11/S11+ and OnePlus 8 Pro.

Generally, the issue is not that apps don't support 90Hz but rather that 90Hz is not enabled for many applications even when in 90Hz Mode. Yes, the result is that not everything runs at 90Hz. I totally agree that's an issue. You can force all apps to run at 90Hz with an ADB command, but there will be the rare app that doesn't run properly at 90Hz. I personally have virtually all my apps set to 90Hz with Auto90 with a few trouble-making apps just set to the System Default.

And yes, I don't expect everyone to take this approach. Still, even by default without any special configuration many apps do support and run at 90Hz including Chrome (which is probably the most important).

13. malidan
    Nougat Jan 4, 2020

malidan , Jan 4, 2020 :
    But 90 hz isn't a high refresh rate when there is 120 and 240, so that was more circulated marketing hype.
    I don't see how a one line hack will force a 60 hz app to run at 90hz , it only forces the screen to 90hz the app will run at what it was coded at.
    Gary Explains put that one to bed ages ago, no coded content then it's 60hz. Talking about hack's just don't count when talking about retail items, £800 for the top dog and talk of hacks are still the weapon of choice. That's not good.

Tbh the higher than normal refresh rate thing isn't really a big deal for me, the practical usage of it is limited so I just can't get excited no matter who brings it.
    The longer I have the ROG2 the harder it is to see a difference, still the device is a killer and will be with me for some time. Dev is starting to pick up with all the basics available, so I will keep this for fun purposes. ;)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020

aenews likes this.
  14. aenews
    KitKat Jan 4, 2020

aenews , Jan 4, 2020 :
    Yeah I said already I don't expect everyone to take this approach. However, I definitely want to mention it for those interested or unaware.

It is not strange that apps can be made to run at the refresh rate of the panel. There shouldn't be any special coding necessary to allow apps to run at a higher refresh rate. There will be some applications that don't play nice or support 90Hz when forced, but they are in the minority. Obviously, some games will not run at 90Hz because they are hard-coded to run at 30Hz/60Hz. So yeah. If anything, the opposite is true. An app would have to be hard-coded to not run at an arbitrary refresh rate (or simply be incredibly outdated or have unintended compatibility issues, of course) to not run at 90Hz (or any other refresh rate) when told to do so.

You can't tell the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz even after prolonged periods of use and comparing using applications that actually utilize the refresh rate of the panel? Seems hard to imagine for me, but it's understandable if the difference is minimal for you. I feel it should be fairly obvious with enough exposure, but it's maybe possible you simply are far less sensitive to refresh rate regardless of training.

Great phone, the ROG 2. Not for me since it has an FHD+ panel, but it is quite nice (in addition to 120Hz) that it has a True 10-Bit Display with fantastic gamut coverage and color accuracy.

Not on mobile as previously explained. OnePlus hit a lot of firsts/seconds with this panel. It's also silly to argue that 90Hz isn't much higher than 60Hz and is just marketing hype. If anything, reasoning should tell you that the difference between 60Hz-90Hz is greater than 90Hz-120Hz. 90Hz is a full 50% increase in refresh rate with 120Hz an additional 33% increase. Plus, there are always going to be diminishing returns with higher refresh rates which is another factor. Yes, I can definitely tell the difference between 90Hz and 120Hz and 120Hz is yet another readily noticeable improvement. However, the jump to 90Hz from 60Hz is clearly perceptible and clearly a big deal. The OP7 Pro's display has made me not want to use other smartphone displays (just as the Note 9's display made it hard for me to use the 6T). It is not just #HYPE. Though if you personally cannot tell the difference with high refresh rates, anything higher than 60Hz will be a "gimmick" for you, regardless. I get that.

As said previously, I'm looking forward to seeing this same quality panel except 120Hz on the S11/S11+ and OP8 Pro. Pretty excited about new technology.

15. malidan
    Nougat Jan 6, 2020

malidan , Jan 6, 2020 :
    The 6T's screen was a run of the mill 1080p Amoled and years behind a Samsung flagship and certain other OEMs, so that didn't take much beating. The 7Pro's better but still no match for the best and other OEMs sported a QHD, 90hz makes no odds as seen in the video. So after years of OP fans saying they didn't need QHD, they now want to lord it.:confused:

Its funny how ownership tends to make people believe certain thing, in everyday usage the difference is very hard to spot at 120 never mind 90. I guess that's why OP applied their dynamic management to create a 90hz screen that spent most of its time at 60HZ. That by any stretch of the imagination equals a gimmick as they did not include the facility to override it. I've seen far more useful hardware features being branded gimmicks on this forum.
    Qi
    IP
    QHD
    Edge screens
    Fingerprint readers
    Fast charging
    Dual camera system
    Triple camera system
    Dual aperture
    Bixby
    Reverse charging
    CDLA
    Pop-up camera
    And the list goes on and most of them now on a OP device. :D

Its amazing how once something appears on a OP years later, it is no longer a gimmick. Let's see how it takes before we see a foldable from OP.

16. aenews
    KitKat Jan 7, 2020

aenews , Jan 7, 2020 :
    You have it backwards if you are throwing a jab at me. I've wanted QHD+ for a long time (certainly even more so after I started using the Note 9). I've also wanted high refresh rate on OLED since long before the original ROG was even released. It was a game-changer when the 7 Pro launched with exactly the specifications I wanted (or as close as realistically possible). Had it expressly written in a document (Dated November 18, 2017) that my dream panel on a smartphone would be a 1440P 120Hz OLED Display. I even specified for it to be nearly Note-sized (OP7 Pro actually is Note-size, as opposed to their normal form factor). So yeah, it's not that I liked these characteristics (resolution, high refresh rate, display size) because they were in the 7 Pro. The 7 Pro happened to satisfy what I already wanted, much to my surprise. You're just plain wrong if you were referring to me.

In everyday usage for the average consumer? The average consumer will not benefit much from QHD either and a good number will never change their default 1080P resolution on their Samsung devices. I don't see how this matters for our discussion. Apparently for you, personally, you can't see much of a benefit even from 120Hz. For me personally, I must disagree. Perhaps you are just not attuned to high refresh rates at this point in time. For those who have experience with variety of high refresh rate panels, it's pretty easy to differentiate between 60Hz, 90Hz, and 120Hz.

SuppNyUs likes this.
  17. malidan
    Nougat Jan 7, 2020

malidan , Jan 7, 2020 :
    You starting to do that owner bias thing you do with every OP device that comes along.:rolleyes:
    If 90 hz satisfys you need then your settling, because as I keep saying there is next to no support unlike at 120hz
    I am sure if I were to track back over the years I would find that when OP didn't have QHD you would have made the taboo comment about battery life and you would have made a taboo comment on all the other bits a OP didn't have, that is my point.
    Its always the same song no matter what device arrives from these guys, it always meets your needs. ;)
    5 years ago I was rocking
    QHD
    Stereo speakers
    Fast charging
    Amoled
    Etc
    Thr OP2 had none of these, yet still it met you needs. :D
    90 hz was a waste of time and a gimmick, if people couldn't see it what's the point?
    Samsung and Xiaomi haven't even offered it in their new devices its 60 or 120, that really does say it all.

18. aenews
    KitKat Jan 8, 2020

aenews , Jan 8, 2020 :
    Bruh I stated explicitly that the 7 Pro happened to match the portfolio (as closely as possible) for the display of my dream phone that I wrote down years ago. This is indisputable. It's not like what I wanted (high resolution, refresh rate) changed because I own the 7 Pro. I already wanted those things. 120Hz wasn't available for OLED in any capacity when the 7 Pro launched and neither was even 90Hz for QHD.

The 8 Pro and S11/S11+ most likely will have 120Hz QHD+ OLED panels. Which I look forward to using.

Prior to the 7 Pro, I was definitely compromising with the display every generation. I was disappointed that OnePlus didn't embrace QHD sooner. I settled (mainly) as I valued Dash/Warp Charge and Dual SIM (and Unlocked Bootloader). And also, I do use other devices. I have wanted QHD for years. However, it was once I started using the Note 9 that I truly couldn't stand the display on the 6T. I would not have been using the 7 Pro as my daily driver if it had an FHD+ Display. Period.

For those who can't tell the difference between 60Hz and 90Hz, then they are like you and apparently do not benefit much from high refresh rate. There is a huge difference, just not for you. Which is fine. There are also many who swear QHD makes no difference in much the same manner. If high refresh rate makes no difference for you, then I guess it will be a gimmick for you.

SuppNyUs likes this.
  19. stajni13
    Gingerbread Jan 8, 2020

SuppNyUs likes this.
  20. malidan
    Nougat Jan 9, 2020

malidan , Jan 9, 2020 :
    That's been said already earlier in the thread.
    System App at 240hz
    Apps at 120hz
    I don't see the device supporting 90hz as there is nothing there and with Samsung coming with 120hz support at that level will increase. :D

90 Hz is dead Samsing are about to kill it.