A Letter from David via OnePlus 7T Frosted Silver

1. David Y.
    OS Product Marketing Staff Member Dec 3, 2019

David Y. , via OnePlus 7T Frosted Silver , Dec 3, 2019 :
    Hi friends,

This is David. Today, I’d like to share a piece of news with you and the rest of our Community folks. In order to better serve the growth of the company, I am shifting my work focus from Community to OS Product Marketing. And I am going to tell you my thoughts behind this change.

I joined the global Community family back to Oct 20, 2016. In the first few months, I worked with Adam and Bradon, then I was assigned to be the Community Manager. I felt truly honored, even though I knew this job wouldn’t be easy.

In late 2016, when the OnePlus 3 launched, the device was well-received by our users and media, but we were still questioned, challenged and distrusted by our community because of what we did in 2015. "Does OnePlus able to offer solid software updates support to the OnePlus 3?" Our Community had doubts. I felt everyone’s concerns. As one of the insiders since May 2014, I knew the entire company learned a lot from our mistakes, and I was inspired that we were determined to do things right. I had faith in the people inside the software team. I decided to stand up, to be the representative, and walked into the front line to talk with our Community in the most honest way. Rebuild trust needs actions that people can see, and it takes time.

Two weeks ago, the last update for OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T arrived as planned. We finally fulfilled our first 3-year software update commitment by delivering three major Android versions and dozens of updates. This is the best way, maybe the only way to rebuild trust. I am glad we did it.

To create software that empowers people, a good software maintenance policy is only a starting point. I see OxygenOS has lots of untapped potentials and know it also has such a special place in our Community. I decided to embrace this challenge to better connect our software with users. I am excited about this new role as it is another way of serving the Community.

Now, you may ask who will take charge of the Community Manager role. I am happy to introduce @Amanda W. , the new head of Community. Amanda used to be the head of China region Social Media, she was one of my colleagues when I was in the Chinese Community team. We had several talks after my transfer to the global team and she is a good teammate to work with. After weeks of transition communication, I believe she is the perfect fit for the role. I’d like you to join me in giving a warm welcome to Amanda and embrace a better future of our Community.

As this thread stands for the official hand-over, I’d like to share some of my extra thoughts after years of Community life with everyone here.

People can do amazing things when they are fully motivated. Unfortunately, people also do harmful things when they are misled. We are in an extremely convenient, but information-overloaded digital world, where people can easily get lost, become anxious and misbehave unintendedly. However, I always have faith in people. For me, the best thread inside this Community is the Golden Moment thread, where I see belongingness, love, self-esteem, and self-fulfillment inside. And that’s what everyone needs in this world. I hope our Community can be such a place to let us share and do all the wonderful things.

jincebaby.jpg
    Illustration created by @jincebaby
    Last but not least, please allow me to give my biggest ever shout out to my best teammates Crystal, David, Robin, Trista, the moderator team, the expert team, and friends who gave your support along the way. You guys are the ones make this Community possible. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

I'm aware that you might have some questions so we also prepared an AMA (Ask Me Anything) for everything Community. Check here.

Forever yours,
    David

2. Dresa91
    Android Q Dec 3, 2019

3. pablofg1978
    Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Dec 3, 2019

4. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Dec 3, 2019

Cheetosdust , Dec 3, 2019 :
    @David Y. Thank you for everything you have done for this community and thank you for that emotional message, it truly means something to me. Good luck in your next job with the OS Product Marketing team, I’m sure you are going to do a stellar job. Please don't stop visiting the forums.

@Amanda W. welcome to the forums and the community, and congratulations on your new job. It is a great place and I can't wait to see what you are going to do. All the best! :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019

5. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Dec 3, 2019

6. YRJ
    Marshmallow Dec 3, 2019

YRJ , Dec 3, 2019 :
    @David Y. I hope you will find some time and be here often :)
    Good luck with the new responsibility :)

Welcome @Amanda W. I'm sure you will have a great time here :) looking forward to hearing from you :D

7. rahulchaks
    Honeycomb Dec 3, 2019

manuel19, Kytharsis, B_Wrath and 7 others like this.
  8. Starcommander
    Lollipop Dec 3, 2019

10. Wonderwoman13
    KitKat Dec 3, 2019

Wonderwoman13 , Dec 3, 2019 :
    We will truly miss you @David Y. :)
    Thankyou for all that you've done for us. I hope you keep visiting us here, whenever you get time.
    All the best for ur new job in the OS product marketing. :)

@Amanda W. Hello and welcome here! :DCongratulations for becoming the head of community! :);)

manuel19, drl431, Impersonal and 9 others like this.
  11. MosheG1
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 3, 2019

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 3, 2019 :
    @David Y.
    I've only been part of the community for a few months but I know you will be sorely missed. and I hope you can still have time to take part in the community even thought I'm sure you will be busy.

and to @Amanda W. you have big shoes to fill and I'm sure you will! Welcome!

manuel19, drl431, Impersonal and 9 others like this.
  12. AmritRajiva
    Froyo Dec 3, 2019

13. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Dec 3, 2019

G_plusone , Dec 3, 2019 :
    All The Best for your new role in OS Product Marketing @David Y. :)
    So this is what you said last week about talking to us .
    Hopefully you'll be as active in the forums as now in your role :)
    It was nice interacting and playing with you David Y .
    Hope we'll play more games in the future ;)

manuel19, Kytharsis, MosheG1 and 8 others like this.
  14. B.I.T.S.
    KitKat Dec 3, 2019

B.I.T.S. , Dec 3, 2019 :
    All my best Bolita wishes for your new adventure @David Y.!! It is really nice reading about inside stories and how things are the way we know it now.

And now, welcome @Amanda W.!! I'm sure that you already know that in between the spam flood, there's a fluffy soft mattress full of awesome people that are the roots and the soul of this community.

Don't blame me, @Cheetosdust cheesiness is contagious... :p

manuel19, drl431, MosheG1 and 9 others like this.
  15. SoniaB
    Nougat Senior Moderator Dec 3, 2019

manuel19, cdnfarmer, drl431 and 13 others like this.
  16. the_o2
    Marshmallow Dec 3, 2019

the_o2 , Dec 3, 2019 :
    Thanks for everything and all the best for the future :):)

Hope you miss all the threads like when my phone is going to get the latest Android version and where the hell is the security updates :rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. pintukundu97
    Donut Dec 3, 2019

18. SaidAmmar
    Froyo Dec 3, 2019

G_plusone and Impersonal like this.
  19. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Dec 3, 2019

Impersonal , Dec 3, 2019 :
    :D I'm guessing the first project for the software team is helping @David Y. in becoming decent at P.U.G.B (that might also be the cause in the A10 updates delay for the 6/6T :p)

97f8d98c77a4d32499159de121cafa81__01.png

20. Drasm19
    Honeycomb Dec 3, 2019

G_plusone and Impersonal like this.