A letter to OnePlus 7 Pro 5G users in Europe

1. Pete
    CEO Staff Member Nov 12, 2019

Pete , Nov 12, 2019 :
    Recently, several users using the OnePlus 7 Pro 5G Edition have voiced their concerns, that Android 10 update is still yet to arrive on their phones. I understand your concerns and have been quite occupied with the matter myself, which is why I would like to take this opportunity to talk to you.

This year is considered the birth year of 5G. We believe this is a revolutionary communications technology, which is why we began our 5G research in 2016 and launched our first 5G smartphone this year. With that, I’d like to thank everyone for choosing OnePlus for your 5G experience and for supporting us throughout the past.

5G opens up a realm of endless possibilities. It uses a different communications module to establish a faster connection as opposed to 4G, and requires a deeper level of understanding and more rigorous tests, debugging and optimizations to be done to our software and hardware.

To achieve the best experience possible, we had to make system optimizations from the fundamental system architecture, in order to deliver a truly fantastic 5G experience. Needless to say, the daunting challenge ahead of us is unprecedented.

This is an arduous and time-consuming process that wouldn’t be possible without the support of our partners Qualcomm and wireless operators. But we promise that in this exciting new 5G era, OnePlus will undoubtedly overcome these obstacles and deliver the latest operating system for your 5G smartphones as soon as it is ready. 

Based on the current R&D progress and compatibility with various partners, we're expecting to launch the Android 10 system update for OnePlus 7 Pro 5G in the first quarter of 2020.

It's always been our mission to deliver a fast and smooth experience to our users. In the future, there will be additional updates to come for 5G smartphones and OnePlus will always abide by this commitment and be responsible for our users. We will definitely bring the latest updates to you at its earliest date possible.

Best,
    Pete

2. Demon_hunter
    Honeycomb Nov 12, 2019

3. YRJ
    Marshmallow Nov 12, 2019

YRJ , Nov 12, 2019 :
    People were really mad about the delay lately and I can understand that. They don't want to be left behind after paying a premium. Thanks for the addressal! :)

4. ZacharyNJBarker95 , via OnePlus Community App , Nov 12, 2019 :
    shouldn't of this been posted when the rest of OnePlus 7pros/7t got or started to receive updates to android 10 alittle late notice for all us 5G users... yet only now you decide to cover your own backs by this information!

N1560021757435, MarkAle and hywelkidd like this.
  5. Rockingbks
    Gingerbread Nov 12, 2019

Rockingbks , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Nov 12, 2019 :
    Dear ceo

OnePlus 7 pro 5G user should be respectful indeed to you that they didn't get Android 10 update.

we are suffering a lot due to premature Android 10 update.

fingerprint scanner is damn slow after trying for multiple times we forced to enter PIN.

there are many issue except but this one irritating most as it is mostly used ones.

OnePlus just push update to get limelight and they harness this in newly launched product otherwise what was the so hurry to push Android 10 on the same date of pixel.

as you know we don't wait anymore and download the update and then suffer a lot.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019

stangweb and G1573148648936 like this.
  6. Liehjan
    Lollipop Nov 12, 2019

lanke.amol likes this.
  7. StopItRawr
    Honeycomb Nov 12, 2019

StopItRawr , Nov 12, 2019 :
    With respect, that's nonsense.

What optimizations?

Project Treble means that the driver level of Android isn't changed with Android versions, allowing builds to be created based on existing drivers, avoiding this very problem.

So, with that in mind, are you admitting the driver platform used by Qualcomm and yourselves for the Android 9 build of OOS is bad and thus we are getting a completely unacceptable 5G performance right now, or are you saying something to get us off your back while the likes of Samsung and Huawei have 5G phones with Android 10 updates in the pipeline (With Samsung even doing a public beta, including for EE users)?

Completely unacceptable, and doesn't explain why a beta program doesn't exist for this version, less explain why 5G owners are treated with contempt and ignored on this forum.

If this is the best you can do for your leading edge customers, I suggest you stay safe and not bother again with cutting edge tech and their customers, because you have no ability to actually meet their needs.

Sorry, but you've destroyed all good will with this customer base at this point.

8. 1337Reis
    Gingerbread Nov 12, 2019

lanke.amol and X1571155409132 like this.
  9. otto2
    Lollipop Nov 12, 2019

otto2 , Nov 12, 2019 :
    The latest updates as early as possible?
    Tell this to the OP2 and OPX users..... I remember a promise you made regarding an update for the OP2. So it is still in the works????

10. Last edited: Nov 12, 2019

11. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Nov 12, 2019

dsmonteiro , Nov 12, 2019 :
    As @StopItRawr mentioned, this is not the correct thread to discuss that. Still, Android 10 is already under rollout for the OnePlus 6 and 6T. And while it may seem late to you, the OnePlus 6T is one of the first devices from last year to get Android 10.

cdnfarmer, Starcommander and otto2 like this.
  12. F_Richard_Chalmers_sRiZ
    Eclair Nov 12, 2019

F_Richard_Chalmers_sRiZ , Nov 12, 2019 :
    That's because tech blogs have covered this. They don't want bad press so like you say they're covering their asses. Q1 is such a vague time frame... Do they expect us to wait until march? Without even a security patch update? Removed by mod

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2019

13. StopItRawr
    Honeycomb Nov 12, 2019

StopItRawr , Nov 12, 2019 :
    What I want to know is what these "optimizations" actually are.

I can bet you that if I contacted Qualcomm directly they wouldn't have a clue what you're talking about @Pete and they would state their X50 drivers are mature, used in other devices that use Android 9/10 without issues and are not the bottleneck here.

But of course, you won't come back to reply. OP clearly want to state this, run off and hope 5G owners forget all about this.

We won't, and will not until OP release the Source files for the 5G, actually treat 5G owners with the same respect as the rest of the 7 family and open a beta so we can test and help bugfix, rather than some undefined "optimisation" process which will undoubtedly end in an old build, full of bugs that we could have identified long ago given the chance.

This is easily the biggest #OnePlusFail ever. The inability to cope with the demands of the leading edge, shameful.

14. IRhyiku
    Gingerbread Nov 12, 2019

IRhyiku , Nov 12, 2019 :
    Well that doesn't explain the lack of updated sources, the lack of updates on these forums including the latest thread being for 9.5.7 but I'm on 9.5.11 and the complete lack of communication in our complaint thread with questions you still havn't answered.

15. Some_Random_Username
    Honeycomb Nov 12, 2019

Some_Random_Username , via OnePlus 5T , Nov 12, 2019 :
    Playing devil's advocate here but sources for at least EU version are up to date (9.5.11 GM27BA) https://github.com/OnePlusOSS/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8150/commits/oneplus/SM8150_SDX50M_P_9.0

Miss however updated US one (9.5.14 GM25CC) since two weeks.

Otherwise overall I do agree that current situation is a mess that shouldn't have happened to begin with.

otto2 and IRhyiku like this.
  16. IRhyiku
    Gingerbread Nov 12, 2019

IRhyiku , via OnePlus Community App , Nov 12, 2019 :
    That's not devil's advocate. thanks for pointing that out to me, I'd rather be corrected

17. Areebanwar
    Honeycomb Nov 12, 2019

Areebanwar , Nov 12, 2019 :
    This.

This is what we ask for; admittance, acknowledgement, and a solution (per se). Hopefully this should ease the 5G owners (not being one myself, but I genuinely see their POV). Thanks Pete :)

18. IRhyiku
    Gingerbread Nov 12, 2019

IRhyiku , Nov 12, 2019 :
    Well no. I paid more and am getting less because they bit off more than they could chew, they didn't state this would happen before i bought this device.

19. Helder_DAlmeida
    Honeycomb Nov 12, 2019

20. Emmanuel_Adams , via OnePlus Community App , Nov 12, 2019 :
    Although I appreciate the response coming from the CEO this "letter" does not really give us more information than what we already know.

We've been told previously we'll be getting android 10 in Q1 of 2020. what we want to know is when exactly?

You go on about how 5G is this extraordinary technology and needs all of this tinkering to make it as great as possible. but Samsung use the same exact modem and they updated their 5G devices to android 10 now, how come you haven't caught up? Obviously OnePlus is slowly losing to the competition when it comes to updates.

I think I'm speaking for most 5G owners when I say we'd appreciate a response that's gives us something more concrete with a specified date or at least a singular month to when we will receive this update. If not your gonna lose customers to other brands.