A letter to OnePlus 7 Pro 5G users in Europe

1. Barman49
    Froyo Dec 9, 2019

Barman49 , via OnePlus 7 Pro 5G , Dec 9, 2019 :
    The only difference is the 855 to the 855+ which I'm guessing has a slightly new 5g modem. Doesn't seem like rocket science to get the software to work if it works on the McLaren model.

2. Barman49
    Froyo Dec 9, 2019

domestoboto likes this.
  3. IRhyiku
    Gingerbread Dec 9, 2019

IRhyiku , Dec 9, 2019 :
    That's even worse, that's the only difference.

@Pete what is oneplus playing at?
    We aren't a game.

Emmanuel_Adams likes this.
  4. stangweb
    Froyo Dec 10, 2019

stangweb , via OnePlus 7 Pro 5G , Dec 10, 2019 :
    I agree totally with all this . I was reading that the oneplus7T Pro 5G has oxygen os based on Android 10. why doesn't the OnePlus 7pro5 g have the same?

5. Barman49
    Froyo Dec 10, 2019

G_lee_Gregory_GdwF likes this.
  6. IRhyiku
    Gingerbread Dec 10, 2019

IRhyiku , Dec 10, 2019 :
    And now they are officially behind Samsung in updates. Oneplus you have ****** up big time, and with the rumours of you releasing 3 phones next time - how the **** are you going to manage all that when you cant even do it now?

@Pete it will be a miracle to gain back my trust in this brand, im going to have to go to Samsung if they somehow have their shit together now AND a better camera.

Barman49 likes this.
  7. Barman49
    Froyo Dec 10, 2019

Barman49 , via OnePlus 7 Pro 5G , Dec 10, 2019 :
    I'd really appreciate if @Pete or anyone with some knowledge could let us US customers know what's going with our Android 10 update. You send out a post about EE but no mention of the US models. Does that mean we are even farther behind?

8. stangweb
    Froyo Dec 10, 2019

what a load of B S!!
    So the OnePlus 7T pro 5g just launched with Android 10 while 7 pro 5g owners are left with decent hardware that is held back by sub par software. So what will the excuse be now of why it's so hard to launch Android 10 on 5g phone !?!?

9. stangweb
    Froyo Dec 10, 2019

So OnePlus 7t pro 5G just launched with Android 10 while we are still left with a sub par experience limited by buggy software! What will the excuse be now !?

10. Gramil1576 , via OnePlus Community App , Dec 11, 2019 :
    @Pete when are we getting our security update or are we being ignored for them now as well. Headline seems to be "OnePlus 7 and 7 pro updated to November security update" how's about adding with the exclusion of our 5G model that we released and forgot about!

11. IRhyiku
    Gingerbread Dec 12, 2019

IRhyiku , Dec 12, 2019 :
    I love how they market the 6 and 7 series now have Android 10.

What series are we part of @Pete because we are getting shafted hard by you lot.

Gramil1576 likes this.
  12. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Dec 12, 2019

anupritaisno1 , Dec 12, 2019 :
    Thank you for wasting my time
    7 paragraphs and only 2 sentences are relevant
    Really oneplus? I thought you were "open with the community" but all I see is meaningless drivel spread out over 7 paragraphs

Project treble does NOT mean the driver level doesn't change. It changes every Android version. Stop reading nonsense on the internet

What treble does NOT do:
    Keep the drivers constant. Treble never said this. People who don't understand how Android works made this up
    What treble does:
    Treble adds an interface definition language for each HAL version and with every new Android version an old definition language version is dropped. This means that with treble devices do not update forever but until Android sees the driver version as supported. Once unsupported it is dropped. An HIDL usually has a 4 year life before Android kills all support for it but that's just speculation as no deprecation has been made yet. The first deprecation is set to happen to camera HAL 1 with the Android R release. In simpler words if a device launched with treble and only supports HAL version 1 for camera Android R will not support it's camera at all. Further carrier certifications, voice over LTE, video calling, wifi calling and a lot of other stuff is completely out of the scope of treble and manufacturers need to update them manually for every Android version

Treble just loosely says that your phone may be able to boot a new version with an old vendor but it makes no guarantees whatsoever and it also makes no guarantees that all hardware will work. Manufacturers still have to update the vendor to properly support the new version

What is probably blocking oneplus is all the middlemen involved. The certification and a lot of other stuff needs to happen before you can release anything at all

That said oneplus really messed up their Q release for the op7pro

They took an Android 9 kernel from Qualcomm and put Android 10 changes on top of it. Then they added hacks to upstream drivers that could be upstreamed way more cleanly by just merging Qualcomm's kernel. They then copied the camera stack from an Android 10 kernel that wasn't even made for the oneplus 7, smashed all the changes into their 9 kernel in a single large commit on top of their changes, stripping all mention of Qualcomm and taking credit for their work while writing some really broken code of theirs

If you call this a kernel source release it's not. It's a terrible, lazy, irresponsible and reckless hack to try to get stuff to kind of work and then release something subpar. The kernel has undefined behaviour all over the place

If you want proof I can upload screenshots later on

Optimisation? Never heard of it. The CPU on the sd855 is so "heterogeneous" that optimising anything for this CPU is impossible in theory

What's a heterogeneous CPU? It is a CPU where all cores do not have the same level of power. On the oneplus 7 the first 4 cores from 0-3 are power saving cores, 4-5 are performance cores and 6-7 are really high performance cores
    Heterogeneity is an attribute that tells us how different one CPU cluster is from another cluster. The higher this attribute the more difficult it is to optimize for the CPU and in the oneplus 7's case it is "nearly impossible" - both in theory and practice to optimize for such a CPU. For such CPUs the best advice is to not optimise at all and compile for a generic target. The most advanced compiler today supports optimising for 2 CPUs. Even then that compiler gives no guarantees that it will generate correct or compliant code for the CPU at all. In fact the compiler often ends up generating slower code and that's not even it's fault. It is very difficult to generate code that runs fast on 2 very different CPU clusters even if they belong to the same CPU. The oneplus 7 happens to have 3 different clusters making optimisation for such a setup impossible

PS: I am a kernel developer

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019

bobsta, PTuT, elsworth1983 and 2 others like this.
  13. IRhyiku
    Gingerbread Dec 15, 2019

IRhyiku , Dec 15, 2019 :
    Now our security patch is 2 months out of date.

@Pete what the hell are you lot playing at?

disgusting.

elsworth1983 likes this.
  14. Barman49
    Froyo Dec 15, 2019

Barman49 , via OnePlus 7 Pro 5G , Dec 15, 2019 :
    I'm on the November patch. Most seem to do the security updates bi-monthly. What are the odds I get the January patch with 10 in mid/end of January? @Pete

15. StopItRawr
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 16, 2019

StopItRawr , Dec 16, 2019 :
    Are you using a US variant?

Interest to see which regions have been updated when.

On October 2019 here.

16. IRhyiku
    Gingerbread Dec 16, 2019

IRhyiku , Dec 16, 2019 :
    Cool so they can't even unify the same device on different vendors.

We havn't got a chance in hell this device will be updated frequently.

17. Barman49
    Froyo Dec 16, 2019

Barman49 , via OnePlus 7 Pro 5G , Dec 16, 2019 :
    Yes, Sprint model. Amazing they aren't keeping all models on same version. I'm on 9.5.16 right now.

18. StopItRawr
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 16, 2019

StopItRawr , Dec 16, 2019 :
    UK EE and 9.5.11

Basically confirms what our next update will be at least.