A little bit of research from Baymax

?

Is OIS while shooting video important to you?

1. Yes, what the hell!?

202 vote(s)
    88.6%
  2. No, I never use video.

26 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. dcmcc24 KitKat Sep 14, 2015

2. Baymax Starting Point Expert Sep 14, 2015

3. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator Sep 14, 2015

rphlfjrd likes this.
  4. TinyTome Eclair Sep 14, 2015

sfomin, rphlfjrd, Baymax and 2 others like this.
  5. larseisberg Honeycomb Sep 14, 2015

rphlfjrd, sidlittlefield and SoniaB like this.
  6. sidlittlefield KitKat Sep 14, 2015

_XVII_, theshinybeast, sfomin and 3 others like this.
  7. blanco112 Cupcake Sep 14, 2015

blanco112, Sep 14, 2015 :
    Random would actually be more fair than whatever system they are using.

Baymax likes this.
  8. SuperPlayer Eclair Sep 14, 2015

SuperPlayer, Sep 14, 2015 :
    The Android Police post should put some pressure on OP to reveal what the problem is. And for the love of god let it be just a software issue.

9. merewoodbebox Jelly Bean Sep 14, 2015

merewoodbebox, Sep 14, 2015 :
    i think it is, just op dev team rushing things. the camera module cant be that big and have two chips on the outside and not have OIS. the gyroscope on the camera module suggests it does have one

10. bfg37 Eclair Sep 14, 2015

bfg37, Sep 14, 2015 :
    Still no official response? Bummer. It's quite big accusation, if they released the phone with false specs, what else is hidden from buyers?

11. dcmcc24 KitKat Sep 14, 2015

rphlfjrd and Baymax like this.
  12. Sultanxda Recognized developer Recognized Developer Sep 14, 2015

Sultanxda, Sep 14, 2015 :
    The video-stabilization-supported flag is a part of the generic Android camera framework, and has no correlation to the fancy camera features that are supported by Qualcomm's camera HAL. Qualcomm's camera HAL does not pay attention to what value the video-stabilization-supported flag says, so even if the app were to say that video stabilization is supported on the OP2, it wouldn't mean anything because the camera literally does not care about whether "video-stabilization" is supported. Qualcomm has their own set of video-stabilization software in their camera HAL instead: DIS (digital image stabilization) and OIS (optical image stabilization). Unlike the video-stabilization flag, the DIS and OIS flags actually do stuff on Qualcomm devices, but the apps shown on AndroidPolice don't check for those flags. Other SoC manufacturers might do stuff with the video-stabilization flag, but Qualcomm does not.

Tl;dr "Video Stabilization Supported" means absolutely nothing on devices with a Snapdragon processor. It does absolutely nothing on the OPO or OP2, regardless of whether it says it's supported or not supported, so therefore it is not an indicator of whether or not DIS or OIS are enabled at the software level.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015

HR_778, merewoodbebox, _XVII_ and 4 others like this.
  13. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Sep 14, 2015

dsmonteiro, Sep 14, 2015 :
    @Baymax FYI:
    OIS confirmed

Upon closer inspection of the camera itself, we can see lens movement that indicates OIS is active. So that would be option number one from above. The video does seem much less stable than the GS6, but the OP2 looks smoother when you use digital zoom compared to a phone without OIS. My suspicion is that the OnePlus 2 might be lacking additional software stabilization features that make the final product less stable than something you'd get out of a Galaxy S6. In fairness, the OP2 is a $400 phone.

Via: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...optical-image-stabilization-as-claimed-video/

14. EpicSwirly Sep 14, 2015

EpicSwirly, Sep 14, 2015 :
    I was right. The Messy kernel theory prevails.

rphlfjrd likes this.
  15. Baymax Starting Point Expert Sep 14, 2015

Baymax, Sep 14, 2015 :
    I saw. Well it just is not seen on a software basis. At least there is some truth to my research.

rphlfjrd likes this.
  16. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Sep 15, 2015

dsmonteiro, Sep 15, 2015 :
    I had stumbled upon this while doing my research for my Spec list thread as well.

At first I was confused, since the Omnivision's camera module only supports EIS (digital stabilization). When reading the Hardware Info report from a A2001 module I saw the 'False' flags but I also saw the SoC reporting back at a 1.55GHz clock so I wasn't entirely sure about the accuracy of that info. Then iFixit X-Ray images clearly showed the actuators, so lens-based stabilization (at least the hardware) was present.

When I started reading reviews I started seeing people saying that it was more stable than the OPO, so it was case closed for me.

rphlfjrd likes this.
  17. Sultanxda Recognized developer Recognized Developer Sep 15, 2015

Sultanxda, Sep 15, 2015 :
    You compared a Mediatek device to a Qualcomm device during your tests. Mediatek's camera HAL is completely different from Qualcomm's camera HAL, so comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges. Please see my post: https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/a-little-bit-of-research-from-baymax.356416/page-11#post-13214408

"Video Stabilization Supported" does not do anything on any Qualcomm Snapdragon device, and it is not supposed to do anything either. It is a no-op camera parameter.

HR_778 and _XVII_ like this.
  18. _XVII_ Honeycomb Sep 15, 2015

_XVII_, Sep 15, 2015 :
    Rotfl android police lately is hating so hard on oneplus that they are makin fools of themselves just to hate on this company, so much for "unbiased" information...first check the facts THEN publish something, that's what good journalist do usually...

oomegaoo likes this.
  19. fite Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 15, 2015

fite, Sep 15, 2015 :
    well
    not sure why the hardware is acting funny in regards to OIS being detected

however this video proves that it surely is working, weather its hardware or software OIS, idk

but in this specific moment at 5:50 in the video, you can clearly see the OIS in action

the person is holding a opo and opt on a stand together side by side as he walks

the OPT video has a lot less shakes

dsmonteiro likes this.
  20. Baymax Starting Point Expert Sep 15, 2015

Baymax, Sep 15, 2015 :
    It doesn't matter that I used a Mediatek device. I used a device that I knew for a fact had OIS.