A note on mischief

1. Mike Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 4, 2015

Mike, Aug 4, 2015 :
    Our users are a crafty bunch, and we love you for it. Most of the time this shows up as genuinely interesting content passed around the forums in the form of videos, guides and elaborate hoaxes. But sometimes...

We have two separate sign-ups going on right now. One is the reservation list, and the other is the #WWYDFT2 contest. Turns out, a bunch of crafty users have found ways to exploit them both.

Chief among them all was RealJakeCooper, who wrote an elaborate post on how to bump yourself up the reservation list using a script. We knew this was possible, and we've been monitoring the list for such behavior. It's not too widespread, but it is noticeable. We've already implemented a few measures on our end to limit it, but before any invites go out we will fine-comb the list for fraudulent entries (there's a multitude of ways to check for this) and we will continue to introduce measures to make it ever more difficult.

Now, for the #WWYDFT2 contest, there's been some blatant cheating there too. One user even made an entry specifically detailing how to cheat. We're aware of this as well, and will be removing entries that are deemed cheating. There is bound to be some grumbling about this, but it's the right thing to do. We love it when people submit real, genuinely original and fun content, and we will do everything we can to promote that over cheating.

In both cases, we'll make sure cheaters will find their time has been wasted. Unless, of course, you're a white hat like RealJakeCooper, who will be getting an invite extra early for his efforts.

To the rest of you: keep on joining in the contests and don't forget to have fun - after all, that's what the community is all about.

gabdul, bellamrams, Krina and 269 others like this.
  2. camohan Marshmallow Moderator Aug 4, 2015

camohan, Aug 4, 2015 :
    Thanks for this. Specially "We've already implemented a few measures on our end to limit it, but before any invites go out we will fine-comb the list for fraudulent entries (there's a multitude of ways to check for this) and we will continue to introduce measures to make it ever more difficult."

3. Naman Bhalla Recognized developer Community Expert Recognized Developer Aug 4, 2015

Naman Bhalla, Aug 4, 2015 :
    Thanks for looking over this.. So that only deserving members get invites...
    But then what will happen to my entries.. XD

4. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Aug 4, 2015

5. Mystostar Honeycomb Aug 4, 2015

6. Peter8169 Jelly Bean Aug 4, 2015

Peter8169, Aug 4, 2015 :
    Thank you! A couple of users have been worrying about this as one, some people are getting "legal" referrals however are still getting bumped down because of exploits. Two I saw some awesome entries, however I see some dumb ones as well with a lot of votes, however I'm glad to see you guys fixing it! :D Great job!!!

7. gusuraman Global Head Moderator Aug 4, 2015

Shivani15, Debu90, camohan and 6 others like this.
  8. Guntaas Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 4, 2015

9. jpswer Jelly Bean Aug 4, 2015

jpswer, Aug 4, 2015 :
    Cheating just sucks :( why oh why would you even bother. Just sad also you are messing around with numbers which OnePlus are using to gauge interest in the 2 so you're just hurting everyone.

[​IMG]

PS the obvious answer is just to reset to the original positions and stop all referrals. We just can't have nice things :(

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015

10. bjoff Donut Aug 4, 2015

bjoff, Aug 4, 2015 :
    Good to see that you will take steps to make such cheating worthless.

bellamrams and Gavin McAnally like this.
  11. gusuraman Global Head Moderator Aug 4, 2015

12. Rick Manders KitKat Community Expert Aug 4, 2015

Rick Manders, Aug 4, 2015 :
    Thanks for the update. Great to hear appropriate action is taken! Good show of confidence to reward RealJakeCooper!

13. Superbrowndude Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 4, 2015

saptarshi17 likes this.
  14. PS00334332 Honeycomb Aug 4, 2015

saptarshi17 likes this.
  15. royalty21 Froyo Aug 4, 2015

royalty21, Aug 4, 2015 :
    I was wondering why I kept getting pushed further and further back on the list. I started out 51 or 57000 and last I saw I was 61000 something...

Chugz, jmoreno and Cockeyed like this.
  16. Martino1plus Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 4, 2015

17. sfomin Marshmallow Aug 4, 2015

Oyathnkso, ChrisTerp, Hiraeth and 4 others like this.
  18. hotsauce KitKat Aug 4, 2015

hotsauce, Aug 4, 2015 :
    So many gimmicks and contest don't you think? I used to get all hyped for these things back then. But now I just want you guys to release the phone like other people.

Chugz, domdomegg, dj_marv and 22 others like this.
  19. DRS2442 Honeycomb Aug 4, 2015

DRS2442, Aug 4, 2015 :
    Well it's good to see you finally picked up on it. You guys should be more active about things like these, he should have never been allowed to post it and he gave you every opportunity to see it before he did.

Why did he have to post it for it to be brought to your attention? Come on OnePlus, the press has been down your necks recently. I know they say bad publicity is good publicity but still, I'm rooting for you guys. You shoildnt allow things like this to be let out (regardless of how minor it was).

All the way from Trinidad and Tobago in the Caribbean.

20. TakeMyMoney KitKat Aug 4, 2015