A Note on Smartphone IP Ratings

1. Carl
    Co-founder Staff Member May 3, 2019

Carl , May 3, 2019 :
    001.png

Hey everyone,

ICYMI, we posted a beautifully-made video on our social media earlier showing our OnePlus phone dropping into a bucket that is filled with water. I understand you may have some questions about this video, and I want to use this post to explain what this video means. I also hope it can address your concerns.

At OnePlus, we always aim to doing the right things based on what you really need not the industry, especially when it comes to creating the best possible device. Over the past few years, we’ve seen so many comments from you on our phone’s water-resistance quality. In fact, we’ve never stopped improving our design and going through tests to make sure you can finally experience our water-resistant quality.

We know that an IP rating would be the simplest way to prove our phone’s capability, but the certification doesn’t help us communicate our focus on your real experience, which is why we created this direct and relatable video to show you what our water-resistant quality can actually bring to you in your real life in a more powerful way.

However, this is not a bucket challenge, and we certainly don’t want all of you to try to drop your OnePlus 7 Pro in a bucket. And just like other smartphone brands that do IP classify their devices, our warranty does not cover water damage.

This also doesn't mean that we'll never consider IP classifying our products in the future.

2. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert May 3, 2019

PKNYC, PJ_Beans, Chosen_One and 129 others like this.
  3. Shivang Joshi

4. Meet@321
    Honeycomb May 3, 2019

I1556021063075 and Saliou like this.
  5. optical
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer May 3, 2019

optical , May 3, 2019 :

Carl

Hey everyone,

ICYMI, we posted a beautifully-made video on our social media earlier showing our OnePlus phone dropping into a bucket that is filled with water. I understand you may have some questions about this video, and I want to use this post to explain what this video means. I also hope it can address your concerns.

At OnePlus, we always aim to doing the right things based on what you really need not the industry, especially when it comes to creating the best possible device. Over the past few years, we’ve seen so many comments from you on our phone’s water-resistance quality. In fact, we’ve never stopped improving our design and going through tests to make sure you can finally experience our water-resistant quality.

We know that an IP rating would be the simplest way to prove our phone’s capability, but the certification doesn’t help us communicate our focus on your real experience, which is why we created this direct and relatable video to show you what our water-resistant quality can actually bring to you in your real life in a more powerful way.

However, this is not a bucket challenge, and we certainly don’t want all of you to try to drop your OnePlus 7 Pro in a bucket. And just like other smartphone brands that do IP classify their devices, our warranty does not cover water damage.

This also doesn't mean that we'll never consider IP classifying our products in the future.​

Well done and right explained!

Last edited: May 4, 2019

6. Tommy92tc
    Jelly Bean May 3, 2019

7. dcmcc24
    KitKat May 3, 2019

dcmcc24 , May 3, 2019 :
    Water resistance and wireless charging are two of the things I care least about. Give me ufs 3.0 storage or a 1440p screen any day over those.

8. manuel19
    KitKat May 3, 2019

manuel19 , May 3, 2019 :
    You don't want all of us to do so? I can do, as a representative for the community, if you send one over :p ;)

9. manuel19
    KitKat May 3, 2019

manuel19 , May 3, 2019 :
    Bee reference spotted ;)

otto2, Jatin.gaba, Bobbie63 and 3 others like this.
  10. Hydra Bob

Hydra Bob , May 3, 2019 :
    About your Twitter post

https://mobile.twitter.com/oneplus/status/1124358412999983105

The phrase "We just bought a bucket" doesn't exactly inspire confidence. I'm sure most people know that IP testing and certification is a lot more involved than just dunking a phone in a bucket. Maybe if you could share a little more detail on the testing processes you used, people would be more willing to trust your claim that it's as good as having an official IP rating.

Last edited: May 3, 2019

11. Cheetosdust

Cheetosdust , May 3, 2019 :
    Not only that, the bee forgot to mention he bought a bucket... full of honey :expressionless:

geo07, artloverjv, iNtEnSePL and 11 others like this.
  12. AnonymousWP
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 3, 2019

Chosen_One, Green Thumb, 1Fi and 4 others like this.
  13. Cheetosdust

"Under Optimal Test Conditions" - just like the regular costumer is going to use the device ;)

14. Cheetosdust

Hah, not an attack, just the tiny letters on the "beautifully-made video" ;)

1Fi, DhruvRajani, iNtEnSePL and 9 others like this.
  15. Shivang Joshi

Shivang Joshi , May 3, 2019 :
    :p :p :p

Yeaap, and then dropped the OnePlus device in that bucket, and later on licked the honey to clean the device! :p

Balveerp, otto2, keithgpowell and 7 others like this.
  16. G_jb_angel_FDPH
    Donut May 3, 2019

Gremlin247, marty mar and otto2 like this.
  17. Adex0ne
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 3, 2019

Adex0ne , May 3, 2019 :
    I've never used a device with water resistance rating before but I've never got my phone to play with water , they last me as long as I wanted them to till I decide to change

18. Johnboydunn
    Cupcake May 3, 2019

Johnboydunn , May 3, 2019 :
    My one plus 5 got dropped in a toilet it didn’t survive but that was an extreme drop tbf however in the rain and it’s rains a lot here it was more than adequate. It performed perfectly..

yashasvi1994, marty mar and otto2 like this.
  19. Rick Manders
    KitKat Community Expert May 3, 2019

Rick Manders , May 3, 2019 :
    Which no one will actually read. ;)

Also, I give it 2 weeks until the first “my phone has water damage” will appear on the forums. :D

superplus, Matt 80, Jalex_h and 9 others like this.
  20. Fursan Afzal
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 3, 2019

Fursan Afzal , May 3, 2019 :
    it's not officially water resistant but in real life it's using the same techniques as other manufacturers, turns out it costs getting an ip-rating which OnePlus thinks is not worth it atleast for now.