A Note on Smartphone IP Ratings

1. G_tushar_singh_DzgF
    Eclair May 4, 2019

Bobbie63 likes this.
  2. Liehjan
    Lollipop May 4, 2019

Liehjan , May 4, 2019 :
    You can, if you put it inside a waterproof case ;)

3. csrcsr07
    Marshmallow May 4, 2019

csrcsr07 , May 4, 2019 :
    i agree with ankitgondalia oneplus 7 comming with 3 versions 7 7pro 7 5g after a great research in their labs by oneplus staff with great hope that these 3 versions will keep oneplus on top in the market lets hope as oneplus community members to become true by buying the product and enjoying the latest features given by oneplus thanks to oneplus we realy love oneplus

4. cas8180
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 4, 2019

cas8180 , May 4, 2019 :
    only if it's inside a bucket and the popup camera is closed.

5. BYG BYRD
    Honeycomb May 4, 2019

BYG BYRD , May 4, 2019 :
    i have OnePlus 7 Pro and tested in Rain and as well as dipping in bucket water it performs pretty well...In IP Rating you will be surprised [e]1f60a[/e]

6. Helder_DAlmeida
    Honeycomb May 4, 2019

7. Adex0ne
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 4, 2019

Adex0ne , May 4, 2019 :
    I'm still enjoying my 6t, won't let it go till 2022 except OnePlus decides to gift me a new device, Never can tell, anything can happen, .

8. andrew fish
    Froyo May 4, 2019

9. Gaurav Rohilla
    Lollipop May 4, 2019

10. meatandy
    Oreo May 4, 2019

meatandy , May 4, 2019 :
    The pop-up is not made to be a snorkel.:p

rameshshreyas and SJBoss like this.
  11. rameshshreyas
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 5, 2019

rameshshreyas , May 5, 2019 :
    As much as I don't care about IP ratings (as I take care of my phone well xD), I am worried and surprised at the way that a prominent smartphone maker is delegitimizing standards which is used around the world. And the 'optimum test conditions' makes it even vague. There is a reason why IP standards exist. It empowers the consumer to understand how resistant the device is from water and dust. But OnePlus is trying to start a dangerous precedent to not adhere to the IP standard. And this is worrisome to the entire industry and the consumers. It would be much better if they did not do this in the first place.

12. rameshshreyas

This is actually a stupid explanation. Why do we have to think only in the extremes? Oneplus has been making good displays since the 3T (even 3 perhaps). A certification from a company wasn't required. And mind you, even this certification costs money. So does the DxOMark rating as well, which almost all reviewers and journalists (and a lot of users) don't really care about. IP ratings on the other hand, is an essential rating that benefits consumers. They know how well their device can remain working after drenched in rain or after it fell into a pool (or if you use the phone in the washroom then.. :p). This is essential and it is wrong that OnePlus has trivialize it.

13. Liehjan
    Lollipop May 5, 2019

Liehjan , May 5, 2019 :
    This can also be seen from a warranty viewpoint... IP certifications are done in ideal testing conditions. Without IP certification customers won't try the limits of it and the support/customer care don't have to tell the customers their new device is out of warranty. :)

14. rameshshreyas

Then tell me what's the point of this thread, and the huge amount invested in making a video like this?

Liehjan likes this.
  15. Liehjan
    Lollipop May 5, 2019

Liehjan , May 5, 2019 :
    Actually I have no idea, I can't find a reason why this video was made...

rameshshreyas likes this.
  16. nick_k
    Gingerbread May 5, 2019

nick_k , May 5, 2019 :
    1+ thinks and treats it's customers as sheep and blind followers. That's why they create such videos.

Hydra Bob and rameshshreyas like this.
  17. F1542875591380
    Cupcake May 5, 2019

F1542875591380 , May 5, 2019 :
    A little water resistant is good for me. Why companies want to make fully water resistant phones is way too much. Unless you like taking your phone into the bath with you....

18. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 5, 2019

Its.Leandroo , May 5, 2019 :
    Finally someone that gets it.

Speedlover777 likes this.
  19. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 5, 2019

Its.Leandroo , May 5, 2019 :
    Nope. It's just to show that you don't need an IP rating

Speedlover777 likes this.
  20. rameshshreyas

What do you mean by No one can prove? IP rating are standardised to rate the efficacy of resistance. Tests are standardised and gives you proper interpretation of the resistance.
    images.png

Hydra Bob and DenyDarko like this.