A Note on Smartphone IP Ratings

1. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 5, 2019

Its.Leandroo , May 5, 2019 :
    You didn't get it. He said that water damage isn't covered under warranty because it can't be proven how long the device has been submerged, what the temperature was, etc.

That said, the manufacturer has to pay for that rating, and not having a rating doesn't necessarily mean that the device does not comply to the standards it otherwise would have gotten a certification for.

In short, an IP rating shows that the device meets a certain level of resistance, but a device with the same level of resistance doesn't necessarily needs have that same rating.

Speedlover777 likes this.
  2. J1550092704643
    Froyo May 5, 2019

J1550092704643 , May 5, 2019 :
    So if it is not covered under warranty... What's the point?

At least with the rating, there's some level of believability, idk that video makes any level of believability possible...

3. DenyDarko
    Honeycomb May 5, 2019

DenyDarko , May 5, 2019 :
    You keep forgetting one factor. Price.

OP devices do not cost a couple of hundred dollars anymore.

When a device is reaching 700$ you can't post shit excuses with buckets.

4. Its.Leandroo

It's not a shit excuse. Chinese labor costs are going up, hardware prices are going up, etc. A price tag increasing doesn't mean that the manufacturer's profits increase. The phone would be even more expensive if OnePlus had paid for certification.

PS: The prices aren't yet officially known, so you can't make that claim of 700$ yet.

5. DenyDarko
    Honeycomb May 5, 2019

DenyDarko , May 5, 2019 :
    So what?

That's true for every manufacturer.

Not everyone is posting laughable buckets, they just get IP certification.

As for the price, it's kinda expected.

When the OP6 came at around 500$-600$ when released, I expect 7 pro around 700$.

J1550092704643 likes this.
  6. nick_k
    Gingerbread May 5, 2019

nick_k , May 5, 2019 :
    I expect the price to be over 700$. instead of saying that the popup selfie camera, makes waterproofing way-way difficult, they try to convince us that they're doing it for our shake.

Laughing Out Loud

7. Its.Leandroo

"They just get IP certification"
    It's not that easy, and definitely not cheap. Why do you think Samsung phones are so expensive?
    1. Labor costs going up
    2. IP certification
    3. Increased prices of components

Yes, it is true for every manufacturer, which also means other phones would have been cheaper without the rating, and it doesn't physically make any difference to the device you get. I'm not willing to pay money for "certification" (which also isn't valid anymore after a certain time period or after the device has touched water)

If you're willing to pay more for something that doesn't add any value to the phone, sure, but I'm not. A phone can be fully water resistant WITHOUT a certification.

kevinplus2 likes this.
  8. Its.Leandroo

Yes. otherwise the phone would have been more expensive.

9. rameshshreyas
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 5, 2019

rameshshreyas , May 5, 2019 :
    But how do we know if the phone has similar resistance compared to an IP rated phone? You can not take the manufacturer's word to be true. There is no way to prove or check it besides us testing it ourselves which is costly. That's why we need standards.

Venky61 and J1550092704643 like this.
  10. Its.Leandroo

You should never trust a phone with water, even if it has a rating. Three reasons:

1. Adhesive gets weaker over time, and thus less resistant
    2. Once a phone has touched water, the adhesive will corrode, making the rating invalid.
    3. Not every single phone gets tested, meaning that a production error could mean that your phone is not resistant at all, even if it has a certification.

11. rameshshreyas

rameshshreyas , May 5, 2019 :
    I tried to find out sources for the claims you have stated, but couldn't find. If you could give me evidence that suggests the same, it would be great. And moreover, it is not only adhesives that are used for waterproofing. Rubber O rings are used along the ports, have a fine mesh along the speaker grills that prevent water from seeping in (thanks to surface tension) and make a watertight and not airtight seal.

12. Its.Leandroo

Well production issues can always happen. You don't need evidence for that. We all know the Pixel 2 issues, the iPhone speaker issues and more. For example, a recent video of JerryRigEverything showed that the rubber ring around the sim-card tray broke when he even touched it.

Also, here's a video explaining what the IP rating really means and what you need to keep in mind:

rameshshreyas likes this.
  13. K1ngP1n

K1ngP1n , May 5, 2019 :
    Well, better if you tell these things to those YouTubers who keep defending the OnePlus screen from years by saying that On such a small screen QHD doesn't matters much and OnePlus screen is as good as Apple and Samsung...

And just for information iPhone XR is not having the 1080p screen but it's still selling like a Champ :rolleyes:

14. Liehjan
    Lollipop May 5, 2019

Liehjan , May 5, 2019 :
    The iPhone xr is only selling because its a iphone... That screen on a samsung device wouldn't sell. Is the QHD necessary tho, even samsung QHD phones ships with 1080p resolution out of the box, and guess that many users won't even bother to change it back to QHD.

Edit: I would take a FHD display over QHD to get a cheaper price tag:)

Hydra Bob likes this.
  15. Adex0ne

Adex0ne , May 5, 2019 :
    let apple make their OS open source, let's see what they can offer , I hate it when apple is compared with Android and that can only be possible if apple can make their OS open source and leave the rest OEMs to sort out , then I'll be ready to compare Android with iOS

16. K1ngP1n

K1ngP1n , May 5, 2019 :
    Same here mate :cool:

I was comparing the screen quality not the OS quality :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Liehjan likes this.
  17. Dark_Matrix_Guru

Dark_Matrix_Guru , May 5, 2019 :
    This may not be a bucket challenge but just to note my OnePlus 3 and my OnePlus 6 have survived numerous showers. Yes it was intentional every time. I have never been afraid to answer my phone in the shower nor have I been afraid to take my phone under the water and change the song that I am listening to. both phones still work perfectly

geo07 likes this.
  18. O1557062885464
    Cupcake May 5, 2019

19. geo07

geo07 , May 5, 2019 :
    So it is but it isn't but basically it is but don't try to prove that it is ...

20. Matt 80
    Lollipop May 5, 2019

Matt 80 , May 5, 2019 :
    Why???

Wait a while, water is a slow killer. If you've gotten even a drop of water inside your phone (and I would guess you almost certainly have) then your op6 will eventually suffer.

Speedlover777 and Liehjan like this.