A Note on Smartphone IP Ratings

1. tangyrobot
    Cupcake May 5, 2019

tangyrobot , May 5, 2019 :
    Yep, they told me I could pay $175 to replace it

2. aphrahman
    Froyo May 5, 2019

aphrahman , May 5, 2019 :
    I came to know that upcoming OP7 won't have IP test. Only few may accidentally drop the device in the water rare and / or rain-wet etc.

3. XTREMEPRAVIN25
    Eclair May 6, 2019

XTREMEPRAVIN25 , May 6, 2019 :
    You care about a 1440p screen over wireless charging? What a madlad

4. Blazko666
    Eclair May 6, 2019

Blazko666 , May 6, 2019 :
    Considering the rumors regarding the pricing of the OnePlus 7 pro of 700 €, which could be the real pricing for the device according to me, skipping out totally on ip certification doesn't justify. Even though the company claims through various marketing videos about the waterproofing of the phone, they should know that atleast wrt 7 pro, they are no longer in the flagship killer range, but rather in the flagship range. Companies like LG has their flagship devices under similar price range which also has complete ip certification too. OnePlus should also adapt this direction for their future flagship devices, if they planning to venture into uncharted waters i.e, pun intended.

5. DVOnePluss
    Cupcake May 6, 2019

DVOnePluss , May 6, 2019 :
    I love how one plus is being transparent company, and is real with us.

Starcommander likes this.
  6. PRADUMNA
    Eclair May 6, 2019

7. Venky61
    Jelly Bean May 6, 2019

Venky61 , May 6, 2019 :
    Thanks for the summary... It was difficult to read from the video ;) :p

Also I do agree that IP Certification costs money so in order to keep the price on check, they aren't going for IP rating. All good. But why to publicize and try to make people believe that the phone is water resistant as equal to the IP rated phones. The certifications have a value, to state transparently that all the phone are undergoing the same standard test to qualify. If we are just to take the manufacturers word without any standard, it's as good as not valid. OnePlus can't take the credit for this feature. It would be better if they keep it simple and just say it's water resistant without the hype. Though there is no warranty in both the cases, I would be more carefree with a phone that has IP rating any day. As a person who deals with manufacturing industries regularly due to my profession, I know the value of IP rating.

Last edited: May 6, 2019

panthimanshu and Cheetosdust like this.
  8. androidForever9864
    Honeycomb May 6, 2019

androidForever9864 , May 6, 2019 :
    We would all have liked to have an IP-certified water-resistence.

BUT, do you know how companies of an IP-certified water-resistant smartphone are acting with customers?

If water comes inside the phone, then those companies tread it like it is your fault!!! Even with the knowledge that a smartphone can have a build defect, as we all know from other defects as well. So infact you have no guarantee at all, even with such a certification.

9. Harshitsinghm
    Cupcake May 6, 2019

10. LamarFrazier
    Froyo May 6, 2019

LamarFrazier , May 6, 2019 :
    I don't need a IP rating to know that my OP6 is water resistant . I was helping a friend move to a new apartment and lost my phone in the pouring rain for over 30 minutes. Went back to his old apartment looking everywhere for it to discover that it was in a puddle of water still working.

yes I turned it off and let it dry thinking there was damage to the phone. after letter it dry for an hour I turn it back on and had no problems with it. I understand consumers want a peace of mind in the IP rating but that's what least I care about.

I'm happy you guys giving us a 1440p display and dual speakers. that was my main wish for the next phone coming out.

Thank you OnePlus

11. iBharat
    Eclair May 6, 2019

iBharat , May 6, 2019 :
    when I get the chance to review an early unit sent by OnePlus, I'll definitely NOT dunk it in water!![e]1f604[/e][e]1f604[/e]

12. Speedlover777
    Honeycomb May 6, 2019

Speedlover777 , May 6, 2019 :
    I guess €700 is just a starting price, which will drop in 2 months till 600, because:
    All flagship manufacturers including Apple, Samsung, Huawei are introducing cheaper versions of their flagships in $700-800 range, penetrating into market segments of OnePlus, Oppo, Xiaomi. Also, recent leaks of Google Pixel 3A for around $400 will make pressure as well. Global demand growth for smartphones is gradually slowing, moving more towards budget or mid-range segments (average prices of all smartphones sold). I believe ordinary version of OP7 will be the main selling product of OP, whereas OP7 Pro will be for testing demand for innovations for higher price.

13. Blazko666
    Eclair May 6, 2019

Blazko666 , May 6, 2019 :

Speedlover777

I guess €700 is just a starting price, which will drop in 2 months till 600, because:
    All flagship manufacturers including Apple, Samsung, Huawei are introducing cheaper versions of their flagships in $700-800 range, penetrating into market segments of OnePlus, Oppo, Xiaomi. Also, recent leaks of Google Pixel 3A for around $400 will make pressure as well. Global demand growth for smartphones is gradually slowing, moving more towards budget or mid-range segments (average prices of all smartphones sold). I believe ordinary version of OP7 will be the main selling product of OP, whereas OP7 Pro will be for testing demand for innovations for higher price.​

I agree regarding the slow in flagship sales, but wrt price drop, if you see the history of pricing of all OnePlus devices, they seldom reduce their prices until their next version of the model is about to get launched. So I very much doubt that OnePlus could reduce the prices that early post the launch.
    But I still do believe they should bring ip certification on all their future flagship devices. It will further justify their pricing for flagship devices (7pro, 8pro...so on)

Speedlover777 likes this.
  14. 9405706711
    Cupcake May 6, 2019

15. ZiadArafat
    Cupcake May 6, 2019

ZiadArafat , May 6, 2019 :
    Absolute beast in marketing.
    Hatsoff OnePlus!
    [e]1f525[/e][e]1f525[/e][e]1f525[/e]

16. brian.sedore
    Honeycomb May 6, 2019

brian.sedore , May 6, 2019 :
    I can't believe how many people are getting bothered by this post. Ok, not the most practical situation and the post could be worded differently, but if it survived (IF), then that's pretty good since it doesn't have an IP certification.

17. Deactivated User
    May 6, 2019

18. jozydblur
    Gingerbread May 6, 2019

jozydblur , May 6, 2019 :
    I guess a lot don't understand the post (video).
    OP is saying that going through the certification cost money (which they don't want to end up making customers pay) but the OP 7 series are water resistant...hence the video.

19. Gangadharr
    Gingerbread May 7, 2019

20. BRAD FORD BOI
    Gingerbread May 7, 2019