A Note on Smartphone IP Ratings

1. Hydra Bob
    Marshmallow May 3, 2019

Hydra Bob , May 3, 2019 :
    Shipping and customs on a 5 gallon pail filled with 40 pounds of water? I don't think it's going to be free by the time it gets there.:p

SJBoss and manuel19 like this.
  2. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert May 3, 2019

Cheetosdust , May 3, 2019 :
    Ok, thank you for your quote about fairness. It allows me to write my views about the whole opening post.

I don’t care about the IP Certification. I have one device certified and a OnePlus 6T. For my everyday use, they both do the job without me having a single problem.

The problem I have with Mr. Pei post is the fluff and how elaborated and pretentious sentences prevent him to be objective about something this simple, and that makes it a joke and a terrible way of communicating something to their costumers before they buy a new device.

All this could have be written like this:

“Hello community,

We know you are eager to know if the our next devices will be IP Certified. We want to be clear about this before you spend your hard earned cash: they are not be certified, because that’s a process that costs money and, inevitable, we would have to pass that cost to the final price. We are just being frontal about the nature of this business.

We are confident, however, the devices will be able to handle everyday situations, like a little bit of rain when you run to the bus stop or to your car. Please have in mind this won’t be covered under warranty, so we ask you to please take care of your device.

The devices will be stunning and you’ll have a hard time leaving them behind, but please don’t shower with them or take them to the pool or the ocean with you.

If you have any questions, we are going to be around before May 14th so you know everything you need. Just leave us a comment below and we'll answer as soon as it is possible".

But no. The messages says:

How is a message with a bucket relatable? How is it “the simplest way to prove” anything?

More: OnePlus can’t do this “edgy” game anymore. The message is clear: after the OnePlus 6/6T and especially with the OnePlus 7 Pro, they are going after the big league. I don’t have a problem with that.

However, you can’t be proud of a stylish message on the New York Times, targeted to let the Apple and Samsung fans know that OnePlus exists, and then return to the “edgy and sassy” OnePlus when it’s time to not mention something like IP ratings.

OnePlus is clear with the display and the design. They should be clear with everything. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Period.

Do not try and mask something that can lead to a backlash with a “lelz, buckets” post. Be clear before the backlash happens. The OnePlus 6T is not rated. How hard can it be to show that to the costumers?

3. The1Lion
    Marshmallow May 3, 2019

The1Lion , May 3, 2019 :
    I just had mine handed to me :cool::D

SJBoss likes this.
  4. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow May 3, 2019

Bobbie63 , May 3, 2019 :
    If he gives us his address, we'll ask his neighbor to fill up a bucket.

5. The1Lion
    Marshmallow May 3, 2019

The1Lion , May 3, 2019 :
    Dash Energy Drink water to be specific

SJBoss, manuel19 and Bobbie63 like this.
  6. Hydra Bob
    Marshmallow May 3, 2019

Because there's no way to tell if you dropped it in the sink or a toilet or if was at the bottom of a lake or in a boiling pot of water on the stove. They'd essentially have to cover all water damage if they did that and not just the circumstances the phone was rated for.

h_kashyap, SJBoss and Bobbie63 like this.
  7. The1Lion
    Marshmallow May 3, 2019

The1Lion , May 3, 2019 :
    Just do it and we'll worry about the details later :p:rolleyes:

SJBoss and Bobbie63 like this.
  8. The1Lion
    Marshmallow May 3, 2019

The1Lion , May 3, 2019 :
    Told a girl that once about "protection" because I didn't want to run out and get some protection... Now I'm married with children ;):p

9. Deactivated User
    May 3, 2019

Bobbie63 likes this.
  10. The1Lion
    Marshmallow May 3, 2019

The1Lion , May 3, 2019 :
    I don't think it'll be 5 gallons either ;)

SJBoss, Hydra Bob and Bobbie63 like this.
  11. volteon
    Community Veteran May 3, 2019

volteon , May 3, 2019 :
    Legal issues, i guess.
    Even if you dont do some IP certification, you still can specify something along those lines „water resistant for 3 minutes above 1 meter“.
    Otherwise dont mention it at all.

Hydra Bob and brian.sedore like this.
  12. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow May 3, 2019

Bobbie63 , May 3, 2019 :
    Heard it's just "water" from the Chao Lake.
    People say phones float on this water.

SJBoss and The1Lion like this.
  13. volteon

volteon , May 3, 2019 :
    You know the rules.
    Pics, or never happened. :D

The1Lion likes this.
  14. Deactivated User
    May 3, 2019

15. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow May 3, 2019

Bobbie63 , May 3, 2019 :
    Not just the shirt but him wearing it

SJBoss and volteon like this.
  16. brian.sedore
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 3, 2019

brian.sedore , May 3, 2019 :
    Right, but why even mention it?

"This device is Super Amazing Crack Resistant XR59 Rated. By the way, we do not cover crack damage."

17. Deactivated User
    May 3, 2019

dsmonteiro and Bobbie63 like this.
  18. Hydra Bob
    Marshmallow May 3, 2019

Agree with this 100%. If OnePlus wants to take on the premium market and claim they're on par with the industry leaders then it's high time they stop with the cutesy word games and trollish jabs at the other guys in their promotional materials like they're still some new start-up nipping at their heels. Upfront and honest communication will always be the better option and their customers would respect them all the more for it. Not to mention it comes across as much more professional. Of course the whole bread and circuses routine has always played well with a certain demographic but I think OnePlus is well beyond the point of needing to use those tactics to succeed.

SJBoss and Cheetosdust like this.
  19. DenyDarko
    Honeycomb May 3, 2019

DenyDarko , May 3, 2019 :
    Jesus christ.

Are there mandatory seminars regarding "Customer Deception" at OnePlus HQ?

kushalverma87 likes this.
  20. volteon

volteon , May 3, 2019 :
    Reversal of the burden of proof.
    If someone can show that the device breaks down under met conditions, the warranty will be valid.

Deactivated User likes this.