A Note on Smartphone IP Ratings

1. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow May 3, 2019

keithgpowell likes this.
  2. tangyrobot
    Cupcake May 3, 2019

tangyrobot , May 3, 2019 :
    I would never buy another OnePlus phone after my 3T died for no reason the day after warranty expired. (Didn't even have to drop it in a bucket of water!)

3. Pacomdta
    Gingerbread May 3, 2019

Pacomdta , May 3, 2019 :
    Of the most ridiculous things I've seen in my life, put a video of a phone falling into a bucket of water to say it has no IP certificate.

How close will it be, to put a video of how good the OnePlus Bullets V2 sound in the OnePlus 7 pro, without a 3'5mm jack?

4. keithgpowell
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 3, 2019

keithgpowell , May 3, 2019 :

tangyrobot

I would never buy another OnePlus phone after my 3T died for no reason the day after warranty expired. (Didn't even have to drop it in a bucket of water!)​

I had something similar with a notebook PC, it was about a month out of warranty.

I had a polite conversation with the maker. They repaired for free and extended warranty for a further 90 days!

It was however a pricey gaming model.

Did you approach OP about its failure?

5. derLenno
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 3, 2019

derLenno , May 3, 2019 :
    About the laziest post that I've seen from Carl's account yet.

If you don't have anything to say, just don't...

(I couldn't care less about any ratings/water resistance myself, it's just the marketing effort here that isn't cool)

B_Wrath and luxuskamel like this.
  6. luxuskamel
    Marshmallow May 3, 2019

luxuskamel , May 3, 2019 :
    Hey Carl thanks for your post. I don't need an ip rating but I want you to make sure I can use my phone in the rain without having to worry.

I & many other would really appreciate if you would actually show some footage how you test the phones water resistance. I'm sure it's not just dropping it into a bucket. You know many here are tech savvy and we LOVE to see your testing environment, all the sort of machines and robots, human workers, etc....

SJBoss likes this.
  7. Covist
    Cupcake May 4, 2019

Covist , May 4, 2019 :
    Just curious, is getting IP rating really expensive? Or is there something else?

8. Adex0ne
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 4, 2019

Adex0ne , May 4, 2019 :
    just like I would ask you, must you swim with your phone in water ? just curious

9. Covist
    Cupcake May 4, 2019

Covist , May 4, 2019 :
    No, I probably wouldn't swim with my phone in my pocket, at least not intentionally. lol But I was thinking more of a marketing perspective, since people know IP rating.

10. Hydra Bob
    Marshmallow May 4, 2019

Hydra Bob , May 4, 2019 :
    I don't have a source on hand but I think I remember reading sometime around the 6t launch last year that they estimated it would add about $30 US per unit to the price of each phone.

SJBoss, Adex0ne and meatandy like this.
  11. Adex0ne

Adex0ne , May 4, 2019 :
    Personally,I wouldn't expect OnePlus to come up with this but let's wait till 14th, guess they have something to show to us all about survival of the device in water , my 6t was dropped in water by my little daughter say about 3 minutes but survived. it may be that I'm lucky but I can still classify it as being water resistant

Hydra Bob likes this.
  12. Adex0ne

Adex0ne , May 4, 2019 :
    yes, I read it also

Hydra Bob likes this.
  13. meatandy
    Oreo May 4, 2019

meatandy , May 4, 2019 :
    Probably a portion of the manufacturing process as well.

SJBoss and Hydra Bob like this.
  14. hennes
    YaImCo Developer May 4, 2019

hennes , May 4, 2019 :
    Why should I trust this test with the bucket more or less like an official IP certification if both do not cover the damage?
    Why should people trust this test more with more details than an IP certification where they also don't know how certifier do it?

For most people this is just two letters and a few numbers that they don't understand and what the numbers mean, know even less. Ask on the street if people know what IP means (International Protection) and what they are used for (humidity, water, vapours, acids, alkalis, oil, fuels, ingress of foreign bodies and dust, contamination with bacteria and viruses (in medical technology), or mechanical stress due to impact are prevented for reliable functioning and safe use.)
    Why doesn't anyone scream why these devices aren't also certified against mechanical stress or impact when it falls down? This also can be certified, but you would says, well, the device can fall down sometimes, and I also say, well, the device can fall into the water or come on the beach with sand in contact. Either I take care that it doesn't happen or it's broken. No one will help you if anything happens.

I also don't think that everyone who buys a car asks if the car has IP55 or if the customer asks if the motor compartment has been certified IP6K6K, IP6K7, IP6K8 and IP6K9K according to DIN 40050 part 9. Yes, these are also certifications.

7 year ago, my iPhone was IP certified, heavy rain came into the port and the device was dead. Apple referred to the warranty guidelines and sent me home with a broken device. I took my OnePlus One with me into the sea, ok, it was sealed in a plastic bag, I took it out on an offshore sandbank and it falls into the water for a few seconds, it still runs today. It doesn't matter if a device is IP-certified or not, because it won't benefit the user in case of damage, the device is still covered by the warranty, so I didn't gain anything with an expensive certification.

Also, I think it's good that OnePlus stays true to itself and doesn't have to do useless things and then raise the price. Furthermore, I think it's good to stand up to these certifications and look for other ways to avoid the outrageously expensive and useless certifications, especially because you don't get a guarantee as a customer anyway. Even the certifiers say that they don't guarantee that there will be no damage.

Just my 2 cent.

15. pkdubai20
    Froyo May 4, 2019

pkdubai20 , May 4, 2019 :
    I don't want my device liquid or waterproof, but it shouldn't be damage from accidentally drop in any type of water or liquid for sudden time.

16. dragoneye1589
    Cupcake May 4, 2019

dragoneye1589 , May 4, 2019 :
    It really isn't that expensive at all in terms of product development costs, products I've had tested were under $5000 in North America, and significantly under $1000 in Asia and the most expensive part of that is really the test report.

17. anunayC
    Honeycomb May 4, 2019

anunayC , May 4, 2019 :
    Tbh it's not like we go to the beach every day or do we dunk our phone into the water... I spilt some food my 6T the other day and ran it though the tap for a second but nothing happened... "Day to Day" water resistance is honestly what a moderate user would like, agreed?

ratansuthar00 likes this.
  18. TheRealGamer
    Lollipop May 4, 2019

19. G_bhuvan_gowda_JlEU
    Donut May 4, 2019

20. B_Wrath
    Nougat May 4, 2019

B_Wrath , May 4, 2019 :
    Why do I get the feeling that this is just another headphone jack campaign in the making? :rolleyes: