A Note on Smartphone IP Ratings

1. keithgpowell
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 4, 2019

2. iNtEnSePL
    KitKat May 4, 2019

iNtEnSePL , May 4, 2019 :
    Then I want to see a video showing OnePlus performing the same tests as external labs do for IP testing verification. Tests alone are not costly, the only cost is the paper.

So bee should show us their devices actally tested internally, not some bucket sh..

SJBoss likes this.
  3. MKT_IRFAN3735
    Jelly Bean May 4, 2019

4. Adex0ne

Adex0ne , May 4, 2019 :
    IP rated or not, I care much about what I spent my hard earned cash on, will never take that risk of bringing them near water cos I sweat my **s out to get the cash to pay for whatever device from whatever OEM.

B_Wrath and keithgpowell like this.
  5. dermot33

dermot33 , May 4, 2019 :
    You guys are right only if you trust the device is waterproof and an IP rating will only result in price increase

6. beastkay

beastkay , May 4, 2019 :
    Again the same thing but a different way to market it, again not having an IP rating means oneplus don't want to take the risk but they wants you to put your phone in water so that they can earn via this too.

It is getting way too late for the ip rating and again launching without it.

D1531313518896 likes this.
  7. Jumpi1234
    Jelly Bean May 4, 2019

8. DenyDarko
    Honeycomb May 4, 2019

DenyDarko , May 4, 2019 :
    IP rating is not about putting a device in a bucket full of water.

It's about particles and stuff like that too.

Yes, the OP6 is said to be splash proof, but there are numerous cases with dust behind the back camera glass.

IP rating requires a 3rd party to verify the claim, not the CO owner of the company.

IP rating requires a more careful assembly line too because of the above.

It's not about warranty. Water damage is not covered by the warranty on any device, IP rated or not. That's where insurance comes into place.

And once again, the OP is pure Deception. And worst thing, it comes from a high level manager.

malidan and iNtEnSePL like this.
  9. D1531313518896
    Froyo May 4, 2019

D1531313518896 , May 4, 2019 :
    I would still consider it as splash resistance from general day to day usage which is good..... without ip rating we can't trust about the water proofing as in case it fails, phone is not covered under warranty for any water damage.

So forgot about under water shoot.

10. Filipe_C_E
    Gingerbread May 4, 2019

Filipe_C_E , May 4, 2019 :
    Having a phone with ip rating is not important .what i mean is over time the coating they use wears off and the glue and rubber they use wears off,that why water damage isn't coverd on the warrenty. One more thing if you are
    concerned about a water resistance of oneplus there are a videos on youtube of people testing the resistence.

11. malidan
    Marshmallow May 4, 2019

malidan , May 4, 2019 :
    It's not water resistant, as it has no certification.:rolleyes:

12. Aziz_Amin_Oneplus
    Jelly Bean May 4, 2019

Aziz_Amin_Oneplus , May 4, 2019 :
    Oneplus Phones are Splash Resistance as they said with Oneplus 6 and again they will say to save their cost as Water Resistance cannot be guarantee, it can damage the phone by some ways.

13. SJBoss
    Lollipop May 4, 2019

SJBoss , May 4, 2019 :
    Can you please provide source for your statement?
    But... But... we bought a bucket, isn’t it enough?

14. Fursan Afzal

Fursan Afzal , May 4, 2019 :
    watch jerryrig's OnePlus 6T video.

15. B_Wrath
    Marshmallow May 4, 2019

B_Wrath , May 4, 2019 :
    So, Zack follows the same procedure as the IP ratings procedures? Can you prove that?

16. Wahoux
    Lollipop May 4, 2019

Wahoux , May 4, 2019 :
    I have never needed my smartphone to be water resistant... Just because other smartphones are water resistant, people want it in the OnePlus 7 too, it's stupid.

17. SJBoss
    Lollipop May 4, 2019

SJBoss , May 4, 2019 :
    No you watch it again, and tell me in which video jerry tests 6t like IP certified devices are tested.

18. Fursan Afzal

B_Wrath

So, Zack follows the same procedure as the IP ratings procedures? Can you prove that?

the industry follows the same steps for water resistance in phones which can been seen in a repair video. It uses the same rubber and glue sealings as everyone else and OnePlus 6t had scored the same results under water as many ip rated phones neither of which covers water damage so it doesn't matter to me atleast if a phone is rated or not as long as it's resistant.

Last edited: May 6, 2019

19. Fursan Afzal

the sealings are the same as other ip rated phones which is what I was pointing out and they're are many other videos in which people have taken there phones under water.

20. B_Wrath
    Marshmallow May 4, 2019

B_Wrath , May 4, 2019 :
    The rubber and glues come in various variants. IP67 and IP68 rated devices use similar looking rubber and glue. But doesn't mean both perform same under the same testing conditions.

the_o2, SJBoss and DenyDarko like this.