A peek behind the curtain – OnePlus phone colorways

1. Andy Liu.
    OnePlus Nord Product Manager Staff Member Apr 13, 2021

Andy Liu. , Apr 13, 2021 :
    LE Banner3.jpg

Last week, we announced the OnePlus Nord LE (Literally Only One Edition) and did a deep dive on the phone’s design. Today, I want to talk about the extensive color, material, and finishing (CMF) testing that we do at OnePlus, how we select the final colors of each OnePlus device, and all the challenges we face while doing so.

The CMF is one of the most important parts of any smartphone design. In many ways, the color of the smartphone you choose to hold in your hand says a lot about your lifestyle, attitude, and character. It also dictates the kind of looks you’ll get from others while using it – if that matters to you.

The strange thing about working on phone CMFs is that much of the work done goes relatively unnoticed externally. For example, when designing the Blue Marble CMF of the original OnePlus Nord, we adjusted the shade of blue 60 times before we had the phone that’s become so incredibly popular today. Safe to say, myself and the rest of the hardware and design team at OnePlus unequivocally believe a phone’s CMF is one of its most fundamental aspects.

Designing a new OnePlus phone from scratch takes at least nine months, but some devices have taken us over a year, sometimes more. Of that time, around four months is spent on a phone’s coloring and finish.

So, what do we do in those four months?

Naturally, everything begins with ideas, creativity, and by working with you – our incredible community. Before we release new devices, we hold focus groups to get invaluable feedback on a phone’s design, colors, and everything in-between.

After we’ve got a clear idea of the colors, finishes, and materials we want for a particular device, we start creating a series of proposal colors. We continually review all the proposal color designs we have created every two weeks until we have a series of colors that we want to take forward – these will be the colors and finishes that we make samples of.

Once we’ve made color samples, we inspect each in meticulous detail to ensure the color, material, and finish of each meets our standards. This usually takes a while – defects can be found and colors that were initially proposed could look and feel less natural than expected when a sample is made.

After a few more rounds of scrutinizing, we then align on the final color selections for a particular OnePlus smartphone. As most of you already know, we usually launch OnePlus phones in a handful of colors – that means there are literally dozens that don’t make the cut.

After we’ve confirmed the colors, materials, and finishes for each OnePlus variant, we get to work assembling them into fully fledged smartphones. They then go through another series of reviews and voila – we package them up so they’re ready for you to start using.

In case you missed it, we announced a one-of-a-kind OnePlus Nord colorway – the OnePlus Nord LE – last week. Best of all, we’re giving it away to one of you – no strings attached. To be in with a chance of winning it, you’ll need to do the following:

• Make sure you’re following @oneplus.nord on Instagram

• Take a picture of your current smartphone and post it on your Instagram feed – your caption needs to tell us why you want to upgrade to OnePlus Nord. Oh, and don’t forget to include #SwitchToNord in your caption, either

For more details, click here.

To read the full giveaway terms and conditions, click here.

Never Settle.

2. Overzee
    The Showcase Reviewer Apr 13, 2021

3. Shailender Sharma
    Marshmallow Apr 13, 2021

4. McJader
    Marshmallow Apr 13, 2021

5. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Apr 13, 2021

Bobbie63 , Apr 13, 2021 :
    Not enough people moved over to Instagram maybe?

Next...........the brainstorm we had before coming up with the idea of the OnePlus Nord LE.

stay tuned on Instagram, finally we’ll announce more great news.... "the Nord By Nord West".

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021

6. Shailender Sharma
    Marshmallow Apr 13, 2021

Shailender Sharma , Apr 13, 2021 :
    I don't understand the brainstorming from the OnePlus team here! @Bobbie63 :mad:

The 2020 Smartphone durability awards by Jerryrigeverything (Published on 05-Jan-2021)

"Least durable smartphone 2020 winner - OnePlus Nord" :eek::oops:

If someone couldn't flaunt the colours of a device because back cover is a must for the safety of it. :(

Your team should have focused a bit more on the durability of the Nord. So, that it didn't received the "Least Durable Smartphone tag of 2020" from OnePlus's favorite Jerryrigeverything. :D

7. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Apr 13, 2021

8. Yohanv
    Honeycomb Apr 13, 2021

Yohanv , via OnePlus 5T , Apr 13, 2021 :
    The Question is why waste time on CMF on the same product ,when you could have invested the same amount of time and money for a totally new product

9. SobinZz
    Jelly Bean Apr 13, 2021

Shailender Sharma likes this.
  10. thechangingtime
    Honeycomb Apr 13, 2021

thechangingtime , Apr 13, 2021 :
    Thanks for the information about the CMF. The one thing I still cannot determine is the end date of the giveaway of the OnePlus Nord LE phone even after reading all the terms and conditions and giveaway rules. It just give instructions on eligibility and how to enter and the hashtags to use, but not the end date of the giveaway.

chvzed likes this.
  11. chvzed
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 13, 2021

chvzed , Apr 13, 2021 :
    Where's the annoying passive-aggressive moderator commenting that this is a repetitive post and asking OP to search before creating new threads? :mad::D

12. kushal__12
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 13, 2021

13. G_Harshit_Raj_sharma_ACj , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 13, 2021 :
    My favourite Color, Design in smartphones till now
    it's the "OnePlus 6 Red color limited Edition".
    1618322019393.jpg
    source of this image is Google.

When the limited edition of this phone launched, I become mad about this color combination.
    At that time, I was 16 and after 6 months, I send alot of emails to OnePlus.
    The content in the email is: "Hey OnePlus! You have alot of phones. So, Can you give me the OnePlus 6 red color limited edition for free because I don't have money to buy it, please give it to me as a gift".
    And they replied we don't giveaway any phone like that but there is alot of contest in our community, At that time I got to know about the "OnePlus Community".
    So, this was my story.
    said:

Never Settle...

14. VanMilan
    Honeycomb Apr 13, 2021

15. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Apr 13, 2021

The1Lion , Apr 13, 2021 :
    Considering the rules were last updated in 2018, I guess it will never end? :confused::p

Screenshot_20210413-104840.jpg

16. Pranit Sonigra
    Gingerbread Apr 13, 2021

17. PratikVasava
    Cupcake Apr 13, 2021

18. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Apr 13, 2021

19. keithnyc
    Moderator Moderator Apr 13, 2021

keithnyc , Apr 13, 2021 :
    that's really interesting. A few years back, OnePlus gave away framed signed editions (from Pete) of prototype phone backs and finishes. Very cool...I think my favorite was a shiny, deep red metallic back. Unfortunately it never made it to Production.

eastbay likes this.