Other A Perfect Camera Implementation for the Google Camera Port

1. tide1109
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 5, 2020

tide1109 , Mar 5, 2020 :
    In the forum are many threads about the 'bad' camera quality. A reason for the that is the camera software.

Because of that many/some users use the port of Google Camera. I know that OnePlus can't directly support the modding because of the legal stuff.
    But OnePlus can open the door of the for developers that are modding the Google Camera. The way is to improve the Camera API.

Google introduced the version 2 of the Camera API in Android a while ago. And the GCam uses this API.
    The good part is, that OnePlus already uses this API, but not all of the features are implemented in the way, that every app can use it.

The problems are that the resolution of the pictures are limited. The RAW-Stream that is needed uses the Pixel-Binning Technology. So the resolution is limited to a fourth.
    This applies to the front camera of all OnePlus phones. So the resolution is limited to 4MP instead of the 16MP.
    The 48MP sensors are also affected. The Google Camera can only use 12MP of the 48MP.

Besides that the wide-angle and the telephoto lens is also not useable, because of the missing implementation.

The Camera2 API on the OnePlus 6 and newer is fine but not perfect. But the implementation on the OnePlus 5/T is really bad. A dotted pattern overlay on the photos is an example.

In conclusion I hope that OnePlus will improve the API for happier OnePlus users.
    It would be nice, if you, OnePlus, would stay in contact with the Google Camera port developers for a smooth implementation. The GCam developers know what they need.

Because OnePlus doesn't help on the modding itself, it's also not an legal problem.

2. Gary C.
    OxygenOS Product Lead Staff Member Mar 19, 2020

Stickied Post
    Gary C. , Mar 19, 2020 :
    [Not Adopted]

Hello tide1109, thank you for sharing your idea.

According to our device usage statistics, currently less than 1.35% of the OnePlus 7 Series and OnePlus 7T Series owners are using the GCam every week. The API support for GCam will only benefit a minor amount of users.

Considering GCam is not an official app released by Google, but a mod made by 3rd party developers, we can’t control how the developers change the mod and it will require us extra maintenance cost if any changes happen in the future.

Instead, we will focus our resources on our own camera product. Only this way we can benefit most of our users in the long run.

Learn more about how your Idea flows within OnePlus

3. script
    Nougat Moderator Mar 5, 2020

script , Mar 5, 2020 :
    Great idea, I often use the Google camera and won't miss it. To get a chance of a better experience is more than welcome.

Script

4. SoniaB
    Nougat Head Moderator Mar 5, 2020

5. Q1578313678770
    Cupcake Mar 6, 2020

6. _Guneet_Singh_Bhasin
    Cupcake Mar 6, 2020

Yunusrg and bmwfire like this.
  7. G1581894029207
    Cupcake Mar 6, 2020

G1581894029207 , Mar 6, 2020 :
    That would be the best idea. I had a Pixel 3 before my OP7TP, and I miss so much the pictures quality. Besides that, OP is so much better in any other way!!!
    And I'm sure it's not a huge work to do : Gcam was using all lenses on my old Lg V30 with no issues.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020

Jonahtrav, R1558620389427 and bmwfire like this.
  8. dr3am_r
    Gingerbread Mar 6, 2020

dr3am_r , Mar 6, 2020 :
    I'm on the edge of rooting my op7pro even though this would be the only reason: getting the tele and ultrawide cameras working on gcam. Would be great to have this implemented.
    Default camera does not correct for chromatic abberations on ultrawide camera edges, and tele post processing is too high on the contrast. You do not have any way on influencing post processing...

9. AwokenEyes
    Eclair Mar 8, 2020

AwokenEyes , Mar 8, 2020 :
    Atm it's also not possible to use GCam as the default camera. Even deactivating the stock one and using GCam only is limited, as it is not possible to start GCam with a double click on the on / off button - which is e.g. my standard way to start the camera. This should also be possible

10. tide1109
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 8, 2020

tide1109 , via OnePlus 6 , Mar 8, 2020 :
    It is possible, but only when the phone is unlocked. When it's locked, it still starts the OnePlus Camera.

script likes this.
  11. TheBlitz7
    Froyo Mar 9, 2020

AZGARDS likes this.
  12. G_Samuel_Rawson_DLMh
    Cupcake Mar 9, 2020

13. Edmond.yv
    Gingerbread Mar 10, 2020

Edmond.yv , Mar 10, 2020 :
    There could also be an added system to switch between cameras for certain apps such as Instagram and Snapchat, like an overlay button that changes the main camera to which the apps have access.

14. tide1109
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 10, 2020

tide1109 , via OnePlus 6 , Mar 10, 2020 :
    That would also be nice.

There is new Multi Camera API since Android 9 Pie. I don't know if it's correctly implemented or not. If not OnePlus should fix it.
    The used App like Instagram or Snapchat needs to adopted for this API. That is not the part of OnePlus.

Besides that OnePlus could provide a override method for like. It could be floating object, when the camera is used. The object includes a button for each lens.

script and Gagan_Palia like this.
  15. Deactivated User
    Mar 13, 2020

Thomas_Nevin_K and Gagan_Palia like this.
  16. tony075
    Cupcake Mar 14, 2020

AZGARDS likes this.
  17. Goggeboy
    Honeycomb Mar 15, 2020

18. Deactivated User
    Mar 19, 2020

19. ankitgondalia
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Mar 20, 2020

ankitgondalia , via OnePlus 7T Pro Haze Blue , Mar 20, 2020 :
    Hi Gary, can we expect RAW shooting on other 2 lenses then? Currently only the main camera is capable to shoot pictures in RAW format.

Gagan_Palia likes this.