Other A Perfect Camera Implementation for the Google Camera Port

1. Adil Sulthan
    Cupcake Mar 20, 2020

Adil Sulthan , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 20, 2020 :
    I think the extremely low adoption is because of the reasons stated by OP. If the API was better, we could have better mods and more people will start using it.

Personally, I bought a 7 Pro for the camera hardware more than anything else and I would love the opportunity to use other camera apps.

dr3am_r and Gagan_Palia like this.
  2. Aksshathp , via OnePlus Community App , Mar 20, 2020 :
    Dear Gary, its not exact true...almost everyone who internet friendly use Gcam and uninstalling it only due to bad Api ....
    when I was using Oneplus 6, I were using it as best....not for my Oneplus 7T

dr3am_r and Gagan_Palia like this.
  3. Aksshathp , via OnePlus Community App , Mar 20, 2020 :
    that is only because api is not well implemented for 3rd parties, once it fixed u will love using Gcam

4. Gagan_Palia
    Cupcake Mar 20, 2020

Gagan_Palia , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 20, 2020 :
    there shouldn't be much more work to implement camera2 for auxiliary lenses and also video recording api need a 120 fps option as well because 240 fps isn't as high quality as 60fps these alone would fix many issues with 3rd party apps

dr3am_r likes this.
  5. dr3am_r
    Gingerbread Mar 20, 2020

dr3am_r , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 20, 2020 :
    Too bad there is not also a unlike button. It is easier for Oneplus to not fix it camera api which applies for all 3rd party camera apps then doing stuff right...then why ask for community for opinion? False impression of community involvement in Oneplus decisions? Possibly. Root it is for me...no longer relying ln Oneplus to do things right...not to mention they seem to be getting lasy with updates, Samsung has increased the number of updates, bringing faster the security updates than Oneplus...had great hopes for Oneplus...been in the forums and a fan for 6 years( among first 200 users ), had first Oneplus phone

dequadim, medinasoft, Patxi T and 3 others like this.
  6. G_samitmunikar
    Eclair Mar 20, 2020

G_samitmunikar , Mar 20, 2020 :
    i agree with this even though the gcam takes decent picture those dots really annoys me a lot when you zoom in the picture.

rasulkhan7 likes this.
  7. NoInspiration
    Honeycomb Mar 20, 2020

NoInspiration , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 20, 2020 :
    That is because it's a extra step to download.. making it easier will bump those numbers up

medinasoft and LOCKDOWN117 like this.
  8. Deactivated User
    Mar 20, 2020

9. Deactivated User
    Mar 20, 2020

LOCKDOWN117 and dr3am_r like this.
  10. LOCKDOWN117
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 20, 2020

LOCKDOWN117 , via OnePlus 7 , Mar 20, 2020 :
    you yourself have one of the main reason why most people are not using Gcam.

thank you

medinasoft and Aksshathp like this.
  11. Deactivated User
    Mar 20, 2020

12. YASINMARFANI
    Froyo Mar 20, 2020

YASINMARFANI , Mar 20, 2020 :
    but one plus try understand your camera software is not good

and it produces so much unnatural and not good dynamic range

13. killerOneplus5t
    Froyo Mar 20, 2020

14. Sartra
    Cupcake Mar 20, 2020

Sartra , Mar 20, 2020 :
    Can possible to do Time-lapse 4K? I think it should possible? I'm using one plus 7 pro [e]1f601[/e]

15. G_suvrat_jain_PqhK
    Cupcake Mar 20, 2020

G_suvrat_jain_PqhK , Mar 20, 2020 :
    I think gcam is much better than the stock and I want gcam to be better so please can you please take time improving apo so that my gcam can use it for its full potential

16. tide1109
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 20, 2020

tide1109 , Mar 20, 2020 :
    Hello @Gary C.

thank you for your feedback on this idea.
    I know that changing APIs in existing devices is very hard and it's maybe not worth for the hard work.
    So I hope that the interest of GCam stays in mind and the implementation for generic camera apps like the GCam improves. For the upcoming phones that are not yet in development, it's the first implementation for this devices. Doing it the compatible way in first place is easier than fixing it. I'm looking at the OnePlus 8T or OnePlus 9 series.

For the figure of the 1.35% it only represents the OnePlus 7/T Series. That are devices that are mainly getting the ideas. So the OnePlus 5/T is definitly out of new features and the OnePlus 6/T is in the last 6 months and may not get the features. Besides that the figures of this devices including the OnePlus 3/T should be considered too. The devices still represent a huge userbase that still wants to use GCam on newer phones.
    I expect a lower usage on the OnePlus 5/T because it works worse than on the other devices.

Vice versa to the 5/T if the implementation is good and the camera app like GCam works perfectly fine, the value of the app is way higher. So more users are using this app and the figure are rising.

I would also add that the value of GCam is bit higher on older devices. The camera software support ended and the camera quality stays the same. With GCam or other camera apps they could update their camera software to get an improved camera quality over the existing one.
    It's similiar to the Custom Rom support. The community still supports the device and extends the life of the device.

Going back to the statistics I would say that real usage of GCam is a bit higher. As you also said it's a third party app that needs a sideload of an apk. That userbase is more in the tech world and more likely disables the collection of the data.

In conclusion I know that this situation is not changing in the near future. I just want to share my toughts on this topic.

jelly_jeremy and Sahil_Amin like this.
  17. Deactivated User
    Mar 20, 2020

18. Rajgopal04
    Eclair Mar 20, 2020

Rajgopal04 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 20, 2020 :
    Hi Gary,

one plus is saying that they will improve camera since one plus 5 launch..The weakest link on a one plus device is its camera. I am a one plus fan bought one plus 5 as my first expensive phone , seeing the DoX score I thought one plus has improved the game and purchased 7pro but after purchase the mobile same old story. I am not a pro in photography so I need software processed images which are good to show to people. Pictures with 7pro are not bad but do not have accuracy and I cannot think that pictures come out well everytime.

Keeping camera aside one plus is at its beat in providing security updates, oxygen OS (my fav), Ram and speed. but recently ram optimization on 7 pro is pathetic.i have 8 gb ram and my phone reopens almost all the apps which are in its memory. One plus became slow in providing security updates. I don't know how long you will survive based on oxygen os. when midrangers are getting near to stock android. Please be innovative and it's time for one plus to up its game in camera department.

N1559551562027 and Sahil_Amin like this.
  19. Deactivated User
    Mar 20, 2020

EL1TxE likes this.
  20. Chiranjit Das
    Gingerbread Mar 20, 2020