Other A Perfect Camera Implementation for the Google Camera Port

1. CJ_will_NeverSettle_6T , via OnePlus 7 Mirror Gray , Mar 20, 2020 :
    GCAM vs. Stock Camera

OnePlus's camera software has improved enough to the point where the GCAM mod doesn't "always" make the phone's images better. I'm ok with them not collaborating with the GCAM developers as long as they're working hard to improve their stock software

2. Deactivated User
    Mar 20, 2020

3. bobsta , via OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition , Mar 20, 2020 :
    The Sony sensor in the 7 series is fine. It comes down to OPs' inability to write decent imaging algorithms. Google Pixel phones use older sensors and yet the images they generate embarrasses the likes of OnePlus. I'm afraid OP don't possess the technical knowledge and expertise to address image quality. They need to change their strategy and employ people who know how to coax the best of the hardware.

Deactivated User likes this.
  4. tide1109
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 20, 2020

tide1109 , Mar 20, 2020 :

5. Md_Robin
    Cupcake Mar 20, 2020

Md_Robin , Mar 20, 2020 :
    I think OnePlus should improve their own camera app... reallying on a third-party camera app like gcam is not a solution... it can harm our security...

6. Deactivated User
    Mar 20, 2020

7. SunsetShooter
    Cupcake Mar 21, 2020

SunsetShooter , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 21, 2020 :
    would improvements made to OnePlus' Camera API find its way into the code base of LineageOS for OnePlus devices?

Well, if I installed LOS right now, I guess I had to rely on everything that is called a 3rd party camera app.

why is there always GCam in the discussion as a main driver for API improvement? Any 3rd party camera app relies on the "camera2 API"

I guess all 3rd party apps - installed from play store and including GCam mods - would make much more than 2%!

when I tried my favorite about 10 free and paid cameras apps on my new OnePlus 7 Pro, it took about 3 to max 15 minutes to figure out, whether they are compatible enough. * those most likely will never found into any usage statistics. * if they were compatible, I would not have uninstalled them right away. *

Deactivated User likes this.
  8. Thomas_Nevin_K
    Donut Mar 21, 2020

9. tide1109
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 21, 2020

tide1109 , via OnePlus 6 , Mar 21, 2020 :
    I'm not a expert at this but this should make the way to custom roms too.
    Maybe you are still aware of Project Treble. So the Camera implementation and the APIs stay on the device in the /vendor partition. This is not erased und still in use when a custom rom is installed.
    There is already a third party library for the wide and tele lens on the OnePlus 7 devices. It needs magisk for the installation. In custom roms could be directly implemented in the OS.

I don't know if the community ported the OnePlus Camera to custom roms. If not your are relying on third party apps. LineageOS includes a camera app but I don't think that it provides a best possible camera quality.

All the OnePlus phones support the Camera2 API. Some implementations are better and some are worse.
    GCam uses a special part of the API, the RAW Stream. It's the raw data of the data with maybe some processing. GCam needs this for all the algorithms like HDR+.
    The camera apps that are using this whole API but they most likely don't use this raw stream.

10. tide1109
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 21, 2020

tide1109 , via OnePlus 6 , Mar 21, 2020 :
    This idea is not adopted, so they will not update the camera API for this purpose on the OnePlus 6 or even the OnePlus 7T Pro.

They may update the API but only for their usage of a camera update.

Mike_Jiang likes this.
  12. AYYAPUSETTY JEEVAN KUMAR
    Gingerbread Mar 21, 2020

13. bmwfire
    Eclair Mar 21, 2020

14. W1584822214022
    Cupcake Mar 21, 2020

15. Jimbo the Great
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 22, 2020

Jimbo the Great , Mar 22, 2020 :
    Not to mention... how would you get statistical information for modded 3rd party apps?

I think that this is the best question here.

OnePlus.

I think you should disclose what methods you use to collect statistical information from your users and devices and offer information on how users can opt out of this information collection process.

And if this in not possible... let us know.

There are some people who do not mind... but the European Union requires that you disclose all information collected from users, offer them an option to opt out, and an option to purge all information collected...

You can't spout statistics about you entire device base and then deny that you collect info... so... start a thread about this and link in back here... maybe post on the main site...

Transparency is key here...
    We want to know.

What you collect a out us.
    How you collect it.
    How do you use it.
    How do we shut it off.
    How can we get our information purged.

Simple right?

tide1109 and Deactivated User like this.
  16. amalwajid
    Donut Mar 22, 2020

17. N1584898461494
    Cupcake Mar 22, 2020

18. NateDev
    Honeycomb Mar 22, 2020

NateDev , Mar 22, 2020 :
    This reply doesn't really make sense. You wouldn't be directly supporting the Google Camera mod - all this post is asking for is for the Camera2 API to be fully functional. That enables more than just GCam ports, but also every other app on Android that wants to use more camera features with better quality. It shouldn't be considered as API support for GCam, as it would enable features on all apps that wish to use the camera - so the 1.35% of GCam users is insignificant.

The changes to GCam do not matter and would not require any additional maintenance, because, again, this isn't asking for OnePlus to directly support Google Camera - that's not how this works. Instead, ensuring that the baseline Android Camera API is fully functional would only need maintenance when Google updates the API with new Android versions, something you already have to do. We just want the API to be fully functional, as its current state right now can be considered broken, especially for devices like the 5T. Full RAW capability cannot be accessed, among other issues.

If developers change the Google Camera mod, it doesn't matter - it still interfaces in the same way with Camera2 API. No extra maintenance required. Therefore, this request should be reconsidered. This isn't GCam support, its full camera support for all apps.

19. Deactivated User
    Mar 22, 2020

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2020

20. Mauro2402
    Cupcake Mar 23, 2020