A Tasty Slice of Android Pie

1. David Y. Community Manager Staff Member Sep 4, 2018

David Y., Sep 4, 2018 :
    AndroidP_Q&A-Forum.png

For OnePlus 6 owners who signed up for our Open Beta Program, we hope you’ve been enjoying the latest beta release of OxygenOS, which is built on the new Android Pie software update. We'd like to thank you for providing us with valuable user feedback as we continue fine-tune OxygenOS. This beta marks our latest step in successfully accommodating all the great features of Android Pie, from improved notifications and an updated look to new AI and automation-based features.

We managed to get @Gary C. online to discuss what he thinks are the broader implications of Android Pie. You may remember him from this earlier post, where he helpfully updated the community on the latest user interface changes to OxygenOS.

• Q: How do we interact Android Pie with our smartphones?
    • A: Android Pie introduces a few new AI features for Android. With this update, AI algorithms will appear in battery management, app prediction, and improvements to Google assistant. Overall, we see that Google is beginning to provide a powerful AI service that will make OnePlus devices even smarter. Over time, we will begin to see more automated features in Android and advanced AI making its debut in Google Assistant. Like we all saw during the Google I/O presentation, the possibilities with Google Duplex are promising.
    • Q: Last month, we confirmed that the OnePlus 5, OnePlus 5T, and OnePlus 6 will support Google’s Project Treble. Can you explain how users will benefit from Project Treble?
    • A: Google’s goal with Project Treble is to simplify the Android operating system so that manufacturers can update their devices more quickly. Users can expect to receive faster updates from manufacturers, and there’s less code for manufacturers to change with each software update. Project Treble is an ambitious project that will make the Android software update process simpler and more direct, which benefits users and manufacturers.
    • Q: Some users may be curious, what’s the difference between Google’s Android Beta Program and our OxygenOS Open Beta Program?
    • A: Benefited from Project Treble, Google introduced the Android Beta Program at the Google I/O event, and we called it the Android P Developer Preview – As the name suggests, it’s for Android developers and early adopters. It’s developed by Google and provides a stock Android Pie experience. However, it was not stable enough and might not be compatible with some applications. OxygenOS(Android Pie) Open Beta is an OxygenOS update that not only incorporates Android Pie features, but also integrates OnePlus’ customization features which users could benefit from, including accent color customization, a new Gaming Mode 3.0, a new Do Not Disturb mode with adjustable settings, etc. After several months’ development and optimization, we’re finally able to release it for more users who want to experience Android Pie.
    • Q: On a broader level, how does Android Pie align with OnePlus’ goals with OxygenOS?
    • A: The new AI and automation-oriented features in Android Pie align with OnePlus’ vision of having a user experience that’s burdenless. Down the road, maintaining a fast and smooth experience will increasingly come down to software that anticipates user input whenever possible.
    • Q: What is your favorite Android Pie Feature?
    • A: With this update, Google is creating a foundation for the path that Android will take in the future, you could say that Android P can stand for both “Pie” and “Preview”. I would say the new design of recent apps and notifications is my favorite feature. Mainly because these are direct changes that users can immediately see and appreciate today.
    • Q: Which OnePlus devices will receive the Android Pie update? And another question that must be asked, what’s the timeline?
    • A: As this post mentions, the Android Pie update will be available on the OnePlus 6, OnePlus 5/5T and OnePlus 3/3T, in this order.  It’s already available for OnePlus 6 open beta, and we’re working on the development of Android Pie for OnePlus 5/5T, 3/3T, we’ll keep you updated as we make further process.
    As always, feel free to leave your questions in the comments below and please report any bugs that you might find in the bug report section [HERE].

Cheers!

2. camohan Lollipop Moderator Sep 4, 2018

camohan, Sep 4, 2018 :
    That's a great Q & A resource. AI is most sought after request by community. Looking forward to see it being implemented in a useful way as opposed to normal notion of gimmicky feature.
    Thanks @David Y. and @Gary C.
    Cheers!!

Themurtuza, Lukeet, dalmia09 and 26 others like this.
  3. BobbyVK Lollipop Sep 4, 2018

BobbyVK, Sep 4, 2018 :
    Wow, now this is something the community needs to know.

Users of 6 can now be happy with what they got. However as usual 5 & 3 series users start ranting.

Overall, great job Gary & team.

@Gary C. can you shed more light on the AI implementation? Like how far is it going to track and learn user behavior? Doesn't adaptation to usage patterns means tracking app usage? Now does this have any effect on the OnePlus analytics being collected if one opts in?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018

VPCYT, dalmia09, Sun90 and 28 others like this.
  4. Decepticon Froyo Sep 4, 2018

Decepticon, Sep 4, 2018 :
    It Was Really Tasty (The Slice Of Pie)

Great Work Done By One Plus [e]1f44d[/e]

5. 97pratyush Honeycomb Sep 4, 2018

97pratyush, Sep 4, 2018 :
    Thanks for the update and an amazing Q/A. Also, cheers to S/W team for working so hard on Android Pie.
    Never Settle.

6. srinivas0301 Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 4, 2018

srinivas0301, Sep 4, 2018 :
    Happy with tasty slice ,Even more is what users expect from full baked product.welcoming Q n A .

Never Settle !!!

7. NovinDavis KitKat Sep 4, 2018

NovinDavis, Sep 4, 2018 :
    Ok. Open beta of Android O for OnePlus 3 was launched in about 54 days of it's launch

Now it's almost been 30 days since Android 9 arived and OnePlus 5 has Trebel support... so let's see how much fast 9 comes out ...

8. the_o2 Lollipop Sep 4, 2018

the_o2, Sep 4, 2018 :
    Thanks for the QnA.

I still don't understand the word AI which is used more frequently these days.

As far as I know NPU(neural processing unit) is also needed for the AI functionality, which is a dedicated hardware.

And software based AI is in our phone from ages..

9. GopalB. Marshmallow Sep 4, 2018

Sun90, Bouncer71, otto2 and 1 other person like this.
  10. RohitGuptab333 Cupcake Sep 4, 2018

11. Guday18 Donut Sep 4, 2018

Sudip73901 and Vladut123 like this.
  12. Minininjatriforceman Cupcake Sep 4, 2018

Minininjatriforceman, Sep 4, 2018 :
    A suggestion that I have don't know that it belongs here with at I call the pill navigation is there a way you can change it to clear.

Vladut123 likes this.
  13. ankitgondalia The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Sep 4, 2018

14. Funk Wizard Lollipop Moderator Sep 4, 2018

Sun90, Vladut123 and SyberianXGamerz like this.
  15. gamerxsoft Honeycomb Sep 4, 2018

gamerxsoft, Sep 4, 2018 :
    Very much satisfied with this open beta! Also i hope it gets improved over time as some small bugs are still there like with notifications.
    AI battery optimisation was activated automatically and network connection was switched off when i was sleeping, had to turn that off manually but it was quite effective as i got drop of only 4 percent overnight.

Vladut123 likes this.
  16. MKT_IRFAN3735 Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 4, 2018

Vladut123 likes this.
  17. Kodavati suresh babu Eclair Sep 4, 2018

18. SyberianXGamerz KitKat Sep 4, 2018

Gowthamik94, David Y. and Vladut123 like this.
  19. Majuran thas Honeycomb Sep 4, 2018

20. Jedipreacher93 Donut Sep 4, 2018

Jedipreacher93, Sep 4, 2018 :
    For those of you that have addressed screen brightness issues, is it bad enough where you would suggest waiting for the next Beta? I'm deciding whether or not to download it.