A thorough review on OPO after a month of usage

1. eset
    Honeycomb Jul 27, 2014

eset , Jul 27, 2014 :
    Hello guys! I am here to give you guys a thorough review and thoughts on OPO after a month of usage. If you are indecisive about buying the phone, I strongly suggest you to read this thread. Enjoy!
    Note: I will be comparing OPO with Galaxy S5 for the most part in this thread.

Background
    2 months ago, I learnt about OPO from a friend. He told me all these great things about OPO and basically convinced me to take a look at this phone. I was never a fan of oversea phones because I never really trusted their qualities. He was damm enthusiastic about the phone. I almost thought as if he were some salesman on the street. Nevertheless, I did some research on OPO and went through a couple review videos on it. What captivated me the most was the price to specs ratio. Having specs of a galaxy s5 if not better, OPO was relatively inexpensive. What pushed me to give OPO a try was my need of a new smartphone. You know, owning a galaxy s2 that lagged even in the search bar of the internet browser really sucked. Not long after, I created an account on OPO and signed up for my first contest, Rain of Invites was the name I believe. But shit, there was no way I was gonna get an invite because the chance was that of winning a NYlottery. Ok, I was a bit exaggerated, but still, it was shit. A few weeks past, I saw this post of Storm of Invites on OPO facebook page. Without any doubt, I signed up for my second contest and BAM, I got it. The first word came out of my mouth was "Hosht", a combination of holy and shit. It was holy because Buddha might have been watching over me. It was shit because it was shittily unbelievable; how did I not win anything from any lottery. Nothing could describe my excitement on that day. On the same day, I purchased the phone and it came in 2 weeks due to delay on OPO's end.

Phone's Arrival
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Specs Test
    I used Vellamo Mobile Benchmark for testing. In my opinion, it was a better benchmark app out there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Camera
    The hype for the camera doesn't live up to the expectation. Galaxy S5 takes pics at similar if not better quality than OPO. The pictures on OPO seem to be a bit duller and warmer. This might have to do with the software.
    OPO: 8.5/10
    Galaxy S5: 9.5/10

Front Camera
    The front camera on OPO is much better than a S5 because of its higher resolution of 5MP. I tested this out on skype calling with my friend who was on a S5; we both maxed out our settings. My display was definitely much clearer.
    Galaxy S5: 7/10

Video Recording
    4K UHD recording is a plus. However, I really don't see much difference between a 4k UHD and a HD 1080 P.
    OPO: 9/10
    Galaxy S5: 8/10

Speakers
    The 2.1 speaker in OPO is amazingly done; galaxy S5 lacks this. It's LOUD and CLEAR. You can really hear the difference between that of OPO and Galaxy S5.
    OPO: 9.5/10
    Galaxy S5: 7/10

Display
    I really like OPO due to its large screen. However, galaxy S5 does represent the color more accurately than OPO.
    OPO: 8/10
    Galaxy S5: 9/10

Gaming
    Having the latest specs out there, OPO has no problem with anything you throw at it. I barely notice any lags playing games that require massive graphic rendering. Galaxy S5 is on equal footing with OPO in this category. OPO does get warmer fairly quicker than S5.

Battery Life
    Amazing battery life overall. I have experienced battery drainage issue but it can be resolved through rebooting the phone. The phone can particularly last for 3-4 days with occasional calls. It's definitely stronger than that of S5.
    Galaxy S5: 8.5/10

Phone Calling Ability
    The call volume is kind of low. I have to concentrate really hard at listening the other side if the surround sound is somewhat loud. The S5 is definitely better.
    OPO: 8/10

Sound Recording
    The microphone is actually pretty low. It can barely record any sound 1.5 meters away. Even if it were a meter from me, I would have to scream for the device to recognize my voice. No but seriously, it's a bit too low.
    OPO: 6/10

Wifi
    Just as good as S5.
    OPO: 9.5/10

Internet Connection
    I haven't gotten any LTE connection from T-Mo until yesterday. It took me 3 weeks of complaining to T-Mo technicians to have the problem resolved. I strongly suggest you to read this thread if you are still not getting LTE after completing all the preliminary troubleshooting.
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/trouble-ticket-submitted-no-4g-on-t-mobile-for-me.54419/
    Other people are having weak LTE signals on their OPO, I have not experienced this problem. Basically, I am getting the same amount of LTE signal bars on OPO and S5. However, the signal is fickle. It jumps among H/H+/4g.
    Side note: T-Mo's 4g and 4g LTE are displayed as H+ and 4g respectively on OPO.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Youtubing
    OPO acts really weird a few seconds into the video. It is laggy and chunky in the beginning of the video. This has nothing to do with the internet because my home internet is pretty fast.

Overall display
    OPO is a very very beautiful and artistic phone. The texture of the sandstone back cover is one of its kind. It truly defines what beauty is.When I drag my fingers across it, I can sense the high class aura it is giving off. The front display is just amazing. Personally, I really like large display. It defines empowerment. The metal rim?( is that what you call it) makes the phone look so much tougher as if it were to conquer the jungle. OPO's logo is just... damm amazing. I especially like geometric logos because they are artistically trimmed and orderly uncluttered. If you know what I mean. Its artistic display is definitely the second hot selling point; the specs is the first :)
    OPO: 10/10
    Galaxy S5: 8/10

Noticeable Problems/Bugs
    -Yellow band at the bottom of the screen. Well, you can ignore it unless you really OCDing it like OD.
    -Sometimes when a call is ended, the phone crashes and a forced reboot is needed.
    -New contacts aren't saved(I have only tried this via unsynced local phone option). They simply disappear in a couple hours. You will have to keep re-adding them until they stay.
    -The gesture setting is really annoying. You have to disable it because camera and torch turn on randomly in your pocket.
    -Double tap to wake up setting appears to be enabled even if it is disabled, vice versa.

Final Notes
    OPO is good, but is it worth? Definitely. Good luck :)

*Please excuse my grammar. I don't plan to edit this post. It's too long :(

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014

dginik, pauld010, AlvinH and 3 others like this.
  2. JBCJackson
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 27, 2014

3. Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Marshmallow Moderator Jul 27, 2014

4. TeamValor91
    Community Veteran Jul 27, 2014

eset likes this.
  5. hockeyson28
    Jelly Bean Jul 27, 2014

hockeyson28 , Jul 27, 2014 :
    Thank you for taking time to write this review. I and most likely other users appreciate this a lot so thank you.

eset likes this.
  6. krucymucy
    Jelly Bean Jul 27, 2014

eset likes this.
  7. Raptor619

8. deviantzero
    Gingerbread Jul 27, 2014

9. eset
    Honeycomb Jul 27, 2014

eset , Jul 27, 2014 :
    My pleasure.

hockeyson28 likes this.
  10. eset
    Honeycomb Jul 27, 2014

hockeyson28 likes this.
  11. Kerkdriel_Online

Kerkdriel_Online , Jul 27, 2014 :
    I read a lot off reviews, this one is also good, thank you for that. OnePlus is a real flagship killer isn't it? By the way, I also know a lot off people that have problems with their S5. Sales is slowing down at Samsung (that's what I read on the net) Nice Weekend :cool:

eset likes this.
  12. MeisterLampe
    Gingerbread Jul 27, 2014

13. dginik
    Eclair Jul 27, 2014

dginik , Jul 27, 2014 :
    Ive had the 64GB version for 48h now and i would have to agree with this review, camera is a little bit of a let down, i would like to test the 4.4.4 stock rom to see if its software or hardware. LTE speeds are good too. other than that the phone is very good and can only get better.

ping me if anyone has an questions

Kerkdriel likes this.
  14. docwon

docwon , Jul 27, 2014 :
    Don't you miss your S2? That was my phone also. Still trying to get used to Cyan.

15. eset
    Honeycomb Jul 27, 2014

eset , Jul 27, 2014 :
    Haha I guess. Cyanogenmod definitely has a more complex layout.

16. eset
    Honeycomb Jul 29, 2014

17. fatboyjackb
    Froyo Jul 29, 2014