A warm welcome from OnePlus

1. Ben Aylett
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2013

Ben Aylett , Dec 17, 2013 :
    Really looking forward to what promises to be the next step for mobile technology. I will be watching closely.

2. JJ_Top
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2013

JJ_Top , Dec 17, 2013 :
    Aside from battery life the screen is all important, the processor choice flows from there. If you're not interested in UHD displays then the 8974 series is fine, the bump to 2.5GHz on the AC isn't really worth it when the rest of the chipset is the same. A better question is if we want a world band phone that works everywhere. One perfect phone for China and one perfect phone for the rest of the world, or a single world band phone.

Mingyu likes this.
  3. Hitesh
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2013

Hitesh , Dec 17, 2013 :
    Hi Pete,
    Many many congrats to you for taking up this initiative. AFAIK, this will be the first initiative taken by anyone where the end consumer will be directly involved in the designing of the product.
    Really looking forward to this as end users voices will be heard. Its really strange to find that although we have progressed so much on the technological front but still end consumer is forced to make a choice from the things put forward to him/her by the companies. I usually change phone once a year, but believe me every time i buy a gadget, i feel that it is incomplete in one sense or the other. Hope you understand my point.
    Once again many congrats to you and ONE PLUS will RULE.

Hitesh Vatsyayan

Mingyu likes this.
  4. zzcat
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2013

zzcat , Dec 17, 2013 :
    Pete,

Look forward to the success of 1+ and to being one of its supporters and customers when the first product hits the streets. Two features that would persuade me to buy (assuming all the other great things like a fantastic screen, good ergonomics, etc.):

1. Improved battery life along with decent performance (on par with current high-end Samsung and HTC phones) rather than cutting-edge performance that forces a power user to swap out and/or recharge the battery every few hours.

2. Support for the full spectrum of LTE bands. I live and work in Hong Kong, travel throughout Asia for work, and spend about 2 months a year back home in the US. That may not be the typical customer profile, but I would bet there are at least a few hundred thousand if not a million or more of us out there, and we mostly are in the upper income brackets and depend on our smartphones.

Thanks.

5. Richard Lai
    Donut Dec 17, 2013

Richard Lai , Dec 17, 2013 :
    Exciting times indeed. Looking forward to see how this is going to change the industry!

For me, the perfect phone should learn from its user. I've yet to come across such a device or software. We need genuinely smart phones!

6. Mahapralaya
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2013

Mahapralaya , Dec 17, 2013 :
    The time between design and bringing a device to market will dictate most of the hardware specs you use. I assume as a flagship for your new company it will be industry-leading in terms of processing, memory, storage, display, battery-life and connectivity. These are the things every manufacturer struggles with, and the need to one-up your competitors (pun intended) is very real. People want all those things I mentioned as a BASELINE, but then they want smaller/thinner devices with bigger screens, less bezels, more battery, premium build quality and bargain pricing. I don't envy the task you guys have at hand.

I think your focus in the interim should be on creating the added-value that One+ is going to bring to the market. You could do the photography-centric phone. Or perhaps delve into flexible displays. Waterproofing? A non-candybar form factor? Are you thinking of using unique materials (bamboo, ceramic, sapphire crystal etc)? Have you considered partnering with OS-makers like Ubuntu? Perhaps enterprise level encryption? Differentiate yourself on overall design, the specs will finalize themselves.

Mingyu likes this.
  7. hyperion
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2013

8. noah kravitz
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2013

noah kravitz , Dec 17, 2013 :
    Guessing your target user(s) will emerge and self-define from this thread. So far it looks like globe traveling enthusiasts. A true world phone would be unique. Improved battery life is an even more universal need.

That said, if you really want to disrupt and not iterate, three ideas come to mind:

1. Radical hardware shift akin to when capacitive touch killed hardware buttons. A folding screen (like a sheet of paper) could have that impact.

2. Eliminate the display entirely. Shift to voice or other commands, make the phone itself tiny, wearable/hidden, and generally create a refreshing alternative to "eyes down living."

3. Destroy the carrier model. Irrevocably.

Good luck with any of the three :)

9. Maelstrom
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2013

Maelstrom , Dec 17, 2013 :
    This is an excellent specs list. Take all the best ideas and innovations from today's distributed and consolidate them.

Front speakers (stereo) are a must. Good quality ones, too, because they really set the HTC One apart. A good microphone for calls (and, as said, really good speakers) will differentiate your product by good call/voice quality (sadly).

Use CyanogenMod for your OS, but the bootloader must be unlocked!

It MUST have a micro-SD card slot, mobile media consumption is only increasing (and cloud data is limited by carrier data restrictions), and as mentioned a USB 3.0 connector is really the only sensible move.

Don't run away with the screen size, keep it around 5", but make it a QHD screen. Crystal sapphire is an excellent (and excellent-SOUNDING) choice, with Gorilla Glass 3 being the only other choice.

Camera button and IR blaster are additions that are not necessary but, in your case seeking to make the perfect phone, tender themselves must-haves for spec-sheet whores.

Biometric security?

10. Merko
    Froyo Dec 17, 2013

Merko , Dec 17, 2013 :
    As a former Oppo Betatester, i look forward to join this new community and see where the road takes us. :)

11. Dhaval Shah
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2013

Dhaval Shah , Dec 17, 2013 :
    I would just like to say that I really appreciate what OnePlus is trying to do here and I hope they succeed in making a real stir in the smartphone market :)

12. Ash
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2013

Ash , Dec 17, 2013 :
    Since display is the number one reason for bad battery life, it would be a good idea to explore technologies where the screen can be powered with ambient light. Battery, according to me is the biggest issue at the moment.

13. Se7eNMONK3YS
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2013

Se7eNMONK3YS , Dec 17, 2013 :
    The more competition the better, looking forward to a user specific device rather than what company's think we want, nearly bought the oppo find 5 at the reduced price, but think I'll wait and see what you can do. here's to the future.

14. iansltx
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2013

iansltx , Dec 17, 2013 :
    First off, thanks for listening to customers first before designing something, rather than guessing at customer preferences and then delivering something subpar.

I own the Nexus 5 and, while it's a darned good phone, there are a few things that could make it better, at which point I'd say it'd be close enough to perfect that I'd break my usual 1.5-year upgrade cycle to get the new device.
    1. AMOLED display. 1920x1080 is fine. Shrink the size to 4.7-4.8" if anyone complains about PPI (they shouldn't). A slight screen size reduction would make for a slightly smaller device, with slightly better battery life.
    2. Off-screen buttons. I want all the screen real estate I can get, and otherwise the bottom bezel is wasted space.
    3. Memory card slot. I'll put up with 16GB of internal memory if I can add a 64GB microSD card to the mix.
    4. Slightly larger battery. The N5 has decent battery life, but might as well ask. Or a removable battery with reasonable (a day of relatively heavy use) life.
    5. Stereo speakers
    6. Another radio transmission path for 1x CDMA voice. Probably a pipe dream to do both that and tri-band LTE (I'm talking about Sprint) but I can dream...tethering my LTE over WiFi while on the phone with my S III was wonderful and definitely something I miss with the Nexus 5.
    7. CyanogenMod as either the default OS or an easy choice (unlocked bootloader). As an added bonus, have the ability to boot into Ubuntu, either via Ubuntu Touch or Ubuntu for Android, so my phone, plus a keyboard, mouse, monitor and SlimPort adapter get me a full desktop experience.
    8. A camera app that has actual burst shot mode, with a dedicated two-stage camera button and Xenon flash.
    So what am I not asking for? Bigger screen, thinner profile, fancy software, faster CPU, metal/glass construction. An IR receiver/blaster. Others may want those features, but if the above list were crammed into a single device (in addition to what the Nexus 5 offers), I'd buy the device right now and pay somewhat of a premium for it (I pledged for the Ubuntu Phone when it was in the low $700s). Maybe others would as well.

15. Joakim Torkveen
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2013

Joakim Torkveen , Dec 17, 2013 :
    This is really exciting work! I am truely looking forward to seing what this will turn into.

My wishes for the perfect phone goes like this! ^^
    1. Make it stable, like WP8. To many times I have experienced my that my android device crashes.
    2. Make it strong, I dont want another broken smartphone on my list.
    3. Try to make the battery good, I know it's hard with all the great tech inside the phone, but I want my phone to atleast last 2-3 days.
    4. Make a great camera, etc 20mpx on the back and 8mpx in the front.
    5. The OS need to be fast and have a modern design. I want the apps to load in time and not have to wait for it to load.
    6. Make the display 1080p. Lot's of people love to watch Youtube videos or Netflix movies on their phones.
    7. Minimum of 32gb of storage and sd-card support.
    8 And last but not least, make it open-source. I dont want to use "iTunes" to view my content or add song etc to my phone.

I hope this gave you some inspirtation. The best of luck to the OnePlus team on your new phone project!
    Merry Christmas from Norway ^^

16. smedve
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2013

smedve , Dec 17, 2013 :
    Some more ideas:
    1. Develop a more modular type phone that can be upgrades by swapping components out, rather than buying an entire new phone. Save cost.
    2. Unlocked
    3. International phone
    4. Limit the number of models. Maybe 2 sizes. If they were modular, u could customize the individual components for a less/more powerful phone, so there really is a smaller model and a larger one to fit individual preference.
    5. Better speakers and facing front.
    6. Replaceable battery. Revolutionary Battery needed.
    7. Expandable storage (micro SD)
    8. Gorilla Glass which is simple and easy to replace.
    9. New OS is key. Somewhere between iOS (simple, one button) and current Android (too much menu layering which is hard to navigate). Settings Menu does not seem to be logical. How many times do you find yourself searching for that one setting, lol.
    10. The phone should be a TRUE mobile payment device that can be used everywhere. Should be able to eliminate a man from having to carry a wallet at all.
    11. A completely new form of data entry (Keyboard). Why are we using an illogical keyboard that was developed in 1873 to minimize keys from jamming in a manual typewriter, on a handheld electronic device in the 21st century? There has to be a better solution. You see a lot of interesting keyboards out there, but the downfall always seems to be the steep learning curve.
    12. Why spend so much money on the outer design of a phone with its detailed machining, only to have 80% of the people cover it up for protection? The phone should be manufactured with protection already built in (sides shock absorbent). Customization could be done by swapping out custom colored back and front plates or something of that nature.
    Bottom line, a phone needs to be SIMPLE/INTUATIVE to use, RELIABLE and CUSTOMIZABLE. Budget Friendly and Upgradable would also be a plus.

17. syed
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2013

syed , Dec 17, 2013 :
    Hi,
    I want smartphone where i can watch video and also can chat on any messenger(whatsapp,wechat,line) simultaneously
    thank u

18. syed
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2013

syed , Dec 17, 2013 :
    it should be available in India and Middle east at same time when it will be available in China

19. Rohit
    Froyo Dec 17, 2013

Rohit , Dec 17, 2013 :
    • Display :- 2k IPS LCD
    • Sounds :- Dolby mobile sound enhancement
    • Memory :- Card slot with 16/32 GB Internal
    • Data :-
      WLAN :- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band
      Bluetooth :- v4.0 with A2DP
      NFC
      Infrared Port
      USB :- microUSB v2.0 (SlimPort), USB On-the-go, USB Host

• Camera :- 13MP with OIS, 4k video recording
    • Chipset :-
      CPU :- 2.5GHz Snapdragon 805
      GPU :- Andreno 420
    • Battery :- Removable Li-Po 3300 mAh battery
    With Premium looking body

20. Shailendra
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2013

Shailendra , Dec 17, 2013 :
    Hi Pete,

The display of the phone has to be astounding.My wishlist for Christmas
    • 1440p full RGB matrix 6 inch
    • Best color calibration (srgb gamut deltaE), white point,gamma and high contrast(by lowering black level)....AMOLED+ or LCD are fine if they meet calibration (Iphone)
    • Minimum bezel all around the screen (Note 3)
    • (1/2.3",1/1.7",1") camera sensor with OIS F1.8 lens (Sony Z1)
    • Upcoming 64 bit Qualcomm processor (A57 based not A53)
    • 4 GB RAM
    • Fast random read write NAND
    • Stock Android/Cyanogenmod, no skin, upgrades through GPe
    • Premium Glass/Aluminium body (Z1,HTC one)
    Peace :)