3-4 GB ram
    One customizable button
    Two button Prev and Next next to the jack plug like the cowon S9
    A design similar to the cowon S9, the HTC One or the Lenovo K900
    Two speaker like in the HTC One
    A good audio quality (ES9018 ...)
    An optical trackball like in the HTC desire
    LED button like in the Meizu MX1 with button who change in the context
    Be able to choose the OS of the phone : your OS, AOSP, Cyanogenmod, ubuntu touch ...

relic242, Xiaolu and Mingyu like this.
  2. Rohit
    Froyo Dec 21, 2013

Rohit , Dec 21, 2013 :
    Well I am here, one of the Recognized Dev from XDA developers ;)

3. groucho60618
    Cupcake Dec 24, 2013

groucho60618 , Dec 24, 2013 :
    Memory is CHEAP! It should be served up like it is. A phone with 64gb of memory should not break the bank! Plus, really great connectivity is essential. No dropped calls. No sketchy radios!

Jossh, Mad and Mingyu like this.
  4. groucho60618
    Cupcake Dec 24, 2013

groucho60618 , Dec 24, 2013 :
    ... AND the camera should be killer. Really top notch. Fast, responsive, instant, clear, beautiful, etc.

5. Polarbear
    Cupcake Dec 26, 2013

Polarbear , Dec 26, 2013 :
    I'm a bit surprised at two things.

1) The focus on specs rather than what you want the phone to do
    2) The lack of focus on other power sources.

Energy
    I'll start with no. 2, how to power the phone.

I, as almost everybody else here, want the phone to last longer. I have to charge my Samsung S2 twice a day now, and I thought it was bad when I had to charge it every day.

Bigger battery is one way of bettering it. Some of you have mentioned solar energy as a supplement. I haven't seen kinetic energy mentioned, but you walk around with your phone all the time, so that should be something to implement imo. That would also make the phone stand out in the smartphone jungle.

I like the idea of the Russian Yota (?) phone, with an e-ink screen on the back. I'd rather have some sort of hybrid front screen (and no back screen), so that static information would save energy, thus consuming battery.

Bottom line: There are other aspects to think of than bigger battery to make the phone last longer.

What we want
    Then no. 1.

We ask want a top of the line product. I, however, am more interested in a properly working phone than the latest processor. Meaning: If i.e. smart programming of the OS makes the phone perform better than the flag ships, but with simpler, cheaper, less power consuming hardware, that's grand.

My wishlist
    So what do I want?

A longer lasting phone. 2 days, 3 days with moderate to heavy use. How you do it, is up to you.

Screen size: don't really care to much about that. I care about the PHONE'S size. I like the size of my S2. I'm not too crazy about bigger phones, and I miss flag ship phones in this segment. They are always sub par 'minis'. The screen can fill the whole phone for all I care, but I need to fit it in my pocket and in my hand. I like the shape of HTC One and iPhone 5S better than Samsung S4, LG G2 etc. I think that can be narrowed down to that taller is better than wider.

Multitasking: I miss my pc's ability to multitask when I'm on my phone. I'm a bit tired of the browser's need to reload a tab just because I switched to a new one (yes, that might be because my phone's old, but this is still a limitation with android phones).

Get the jobb done: the phone has to be fast. I don't want to wait for programs to open etc. Bigger processor or smarter programming of the OS - doesn't matter to me.

Multimedia: I don't use this much, but that's probably because my camera is shait.

GPS: for some reason, my phone often uses extremely long to get a GPS signal, even when there's a clear sky and I'm standing still. Why is this? Could it be fixed?

Mad and Xiaolu like this.
  6. bwells88
    Honeycomb Dec 26, 2013

bwells88 , Dec 26, 2013 :
    I am very interested in this project!... I picked up a Nexus 5 and love it so if you can build from there, fix its few down falls I think you would have a winner!

Everyone seems to be on a 2 to 3 day battery life kick... I don't get that as we all go to bed at night so really, 24 hours is more than enough.. A great screen with limited or no bezel, 64GB/128GB storage, the latest processor and a great camera... That's all that's needed!

I'll buy that for a dollar!

7. Ed 1968
    Cupcake Dec 27, 2013

Ed 1968 , Dec 27, 2013 :
    I think this is great. I'll throw my two cents for what it is worth.
    • I like what Motorola has done with their new processors. Dedicated, lower power processors (one for always listening audio commands and one for gestures) and a faster processor for running apps.
    • 32GB internal memory minimum and expandable micro SD storage.
    • 3GB RAM minimum.
    • OLED full HD 1280 screen for reduced power consumption and an always on alert segment with time and notifications displayed. No more than a 5" screen.
    • A heavy user should get a full days use on an overnight charge with light users managing a minimum of two days.
    • Zero or nearly zero bezel on the long sides.
    • Stereo speakers flanking the screens on the short sides. (speaker phone speakers on the back of the phone are a terrible idea)
    • IR Blaster
    • Physical buttons for power, volume and camera shutter (located on the bottom of the right side as you view the camera in portrait orientation). All the others softkeys.
    • I like pure android, no bloat OS but have little else to compare with other than other modified Android OS.
    • I'd love to see a minimum 3X optical zoom camera lens with no more than 5-8 megapixel resolution. A sensor with fewer, larger pixels will collect more light for low light settings and the zoom would allow you to frame the photo you want without the need to enlarge and crop after the fact.
    • I'd like to see both an LED and Xenon flash. LED is useful as an extra light source when you forget to leave the porch light on or when taking a number of close up photos or video that do not require the extra light output afforded by the Xenon flash and preserves battery life. The Xenon flash provides more accurate color and increased range.
    • 2 - 5 megapixel front facing camera with LED flash because let's face it, the quality of the average selfy is terrible.
    • I'd love to see phones geared to the United States consumer built in The United States. If you are considering a global market, who isn't, would it be logical to have multiple production facilities? This would provide redundancy and market appeal in the states.
    • How thick the phone is and it's weight is less important to me personally and I know the optical zoom will increase the thickness of the product on at least one end.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013

Jossh and Mingyu like this.
  8. Frans
    Cupcake Dec 28, 2013

Frans , Dec 28, 2013 :
    I love to see what all the other people want, but they want like OMGWTF specifications for like 200-300 euro. That ain't happening (i think)
    What i want:
    • 4.3-4.7" Phone, 720p or higher, the higher the PPI the more power it takes.
    • Decent battery life (like a full day without to "worry") so a power efficient CPU (So i think a Qualcomm)
    • Android (4.4)
    • a nice design
    • 4G
    • a good rear camera
    • 16 GB and MicroSD (if the design allows it)
    • 1-2 GB RAM

Mingyu likes this.
  9. Xiaolu
    Froyo Dec 30, 2013

Xiaolu , Dec 30, 2013 :
    Xiaomi Mi3 64 GB → USD412

OnePlus can go for 64-128 GB, and IMHO, should back all that GB in a cloud service.

10. Corey M
    Gingerbread Dec 31, 2013

Corey M , Dec 31, 2013 :
    Hiya Pete! The next several months are going to be a lot of fun :D Can't wait to see what the future holds!

-Corey Miecielica, Android fan and mobile hardware junkie! :cool:

AIT-Solutions likes this.
  11. AAT
    Eclair Dec 31, 2013

AAT , Dec 31, 2013 :
    If only the manufacturers would listen!

12. Paul
    Gingerbread Dec 31, 2013

Paul , Dec 31, 2013 :
    Hi All,

Wish you a very happy and successful new year ahead.

13. lazaros poumpouridis
    Froyo Jan 1, 2014

lazaros poumpouridis , Jan 1, 2014 :
    Hey pete! I am an oppo user so i guess i have some expirience from your work.
    I prefer ips displays like the one on find 5 :) whatever u do please include a fm radio.
    Keep the os clean from useless staff..
    I know its not much to suggest but i'm sure u know your job well :) whatever the other companies make in 2014 you make it better :) include everythink u can in. No compromise and no setle :)

14. SolarTrans
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 2, 2014

SolarTrans , Jan 2, 2014 :
    Based on the questions posed above in the initial post I'd say this:
    -up to 64GB Micro SD
    -32GB base internal storage
    -5" AMOLED display at 1440p
    -REPLACEABLE BATTERY
    -Most current version of stock Android (like on the Nexus 5)
    -Qualcomm 800 CPU
    -4GB RAM
    -Buttons similar to those on Samsung's devices (so no onscreen home button per se)
    -iPhone 5S level camera
    -Any build material but slippery plastic
    -Most important to me would be a weight of <150g
    -mini HDMI port
    -Maybe dual-boot windows for when the device has a monitor attached??? The Ubuntu Edge looked really cool and it would be amazing if you guys could accomplish something similar.

On the CPU side, we're at a point in the marketplace where it doesn't really matter whether we have a 2.1 or 2.4GHz CPU in our phone. It will be impossible to tell either way in normal usage. Same with RAM, but if you're gonna make a phone with no compromises why not go big?
    I am a mobile phone fanatic (I get a new phone every 6 months or so), and I am really excited about what you guys could do here! I'd he happy to spend most of the spending money I have supporting you guys if the final device really is something special.

Mingyu likes this.
  15. raimondomartire (acer73)
    Froyo Jan 6, 2014

raimondomartire (acer73) , Jan 6, 2014 :
    I think that you smartphone for be innovative must reply other big Company on their strengths:

Screen
    Must be visible on sun light . I think that Ips solution is better on this point. Screen must have dragontrail protection and not gorilla glass. For dimension 5.2''

Sound
    Stereo boom sound not like Htc One but Blackberry z30. You must have dedicate Dac like Vivo Xplay 3s. You must use 4 microphone like Nokia 1520. Think that users want register sound in concert or happy moment so suppresion rumors will be a must on this point

Network
    You must avoid find 5 error. Use last Qualcomm Soc with all frequency. Signal reception must be a honor point of your smartphone. On this point you must see Blackberry or Motorola

Photo e Video
    You can think two cam one for night and one for day. The real problem of smartphone is that they are used in night but HTc fail with micropixel just because their camera is always a 2.1 Mpx. Users wants on software point effect like new Lg g2 camera or Samsung S4

Software
    You must have your OS. I think that cyano or Omnirom not are for noobs. Noobs want function like dual-panel, smartview, air gesture, swipe in every screen, gesture. I think that you must search a good starting point and add some on this stunish function. Think OS for multilanguage and recruitig translatore in Miui world or also Oppo guys. One of biggest error in Find 5 is not usable software. A lots of Bugs not solved. Avoid this

Other Stuff
    Great build material, Great battery, Usb 3.0 with fast charge option

16. Allanitomwesh
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 6, 2014

Allanitomwesh , Jan 6, 2014 :
    IPS vs AMOLED I'm going to have to go with IPS,unless you can get your hands on a PLS panel,which is some good stuff from Samsung. My reason being that an AMOLED display will always lean to one color,like on the Note 3 its blue,where as IPS has more balanced colors and isn't cool blue,or "warm and shouty" like Galaxy S2
    High end does not directly imply no SD Card slot,I would like to see one in your device.
    Good battery life or bust,you could make the most bad-*** phone in the world but if it doesn't stay on for more than a few hours [12-14 is a norm lately] people will still hate it. Devices were meant to be used not regularly charged.
    Am looking forward to the discussion.

May I Taste likes this.
  17. JGuinan007
    Donut Jan 6, 2014

JGuinan007 , Jan 6, 2014 :
    But large display phones like the Samsungs Note series and Sony's Z1 ultra the keyboard in landscape is better than a physical Qwerty and not having a physical qwerty makes the phone cost less to produce and cheaper to buy

18. SRPat
    Eclair Jan 6, 2014

SRPat , Jan 6, 2014 :
    · Screen:
    • 4.7 inch 720p Super LCD 4 display
    • 4.7 inch screen with small bezels should allow for one handed use, while still offering a large enough screen for most use cases (e.g. Moto X).
    • 720x1280 resolution, should offer a high enough ppi at 4.7 inches. A higher resolution wouldn't be beneficial, due to increased power consumption due to increased backlighting and the GPU running at a higher frequency.
    • The display should be Super LCD 4. When compared to AMOLED, Super LCD displays have lower power consumption when displaying lighter colours, and have better outdoor visibility. The display won’t be pentile and the user won’t have to worry about display degradation or burn in.
    • Super sensitive touchscreen (i.e. works with gloves on)
    • Display should be calibrated, have good contrast, deep blacks and accurate whites.
    · Camera:
    • Rear Facing:
      • 8mp, 1.7+ micron BSI sensor
      • 6 element lens, f/2.0 aperture
      • OIS
      • Xenon flash
      • Record 720p videos at 120 fps
      • Record 1080p videos at 60 fps
    • Front Facing:
      • 2mp, 2.0 microns
    • Custom Camera app instead of AOSP app, that takes advantage of the camera features integrated into Qualcomm’s SOC, e.g. Chroma Flash, Action Shot and OptiZoom
    · SOC:
    • Higher bin version of Qualcomm’s flagship SOC (e.g. Qualcomm Snapdragon 805)
    • Qualcomm’s SOCs have the modems, GSM and LTE basebands, Bluetooth 4.0 etc, integrated; and offer a higher performance/power consumption ratio when compared to competitors
    RAM:
    • 2 GB+ (LPDDR4)
    · Build:
    • Gorilla Glass 3 screen
    • Polycarbonate chassis (e.g. Oppo Find 5)
    • Internal Steel frame
    • Back of the chassis should be curved to better fit into the hand (e.g. Moto X).
    · Speakers:
    • High quality speakers on the bottom edge of the phone (e.g. iPhone 5s).
    • The problem with front facing speakers is that it makes the phone harder to use one handed.
    Ports and Button placement:
    • Onscreen buttons,
    • Volume and Power button should be on the sides of the phone.
    • Headphone jack should be on the top of the phone.
    • Micro-USB port on the bottom edge of the phone
    · Battery:
    • Non-removable, 3000 mAh silicon anode lithium ion nanowire battery
    • Silicon anode lithium ion nanowire batteries have a higher charge density, when compared to current type of the lithium ion batteries.
    • A non-removable battery, allows a larger battery to fit into the chassis.
    · Storage:
    • Minimum 32 GB of storage, non-expandable.
    • Expandable storage prevents the average user from having a seamless experience as they will find that they won’t be able to install most apps to a micro-SD card. They should not have to worry about an "internal storage" partition and an "SD card" partition.
    · Additional:
    • Panel Self Refresh technology, reduces power consumption when the screen is idle.
    • NFC
    • Notification LED
    · Software:
    • Operation System: Android 4.4 Kitkat
    • GAPPS
    • Custom camera app instead of AOSP camera app
    • Double tap to wake device (e.g. LG G2)
    • Qualcomm optimized Dalvik libraries
    • Qualcomm optimized Bionic library
    • Unlocked Bootloader

For the average user, the phone should just work. They shouldn't have to worry if the phone will take a good enough picture, they shouldn't have to worry about battery life, they shouldn't have to worry about storage. The phone should feel premium and should be easy to use one handed. To give the user a good experience, a combination of great hardware and well optimized software is required.

Mad, Andrew Z, Mingyu and 1 other person like this.
  19. Allanitomwesh
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 7, 2014

Andrew Z likes this.
  20. Marko Novak
    Froyo Jan 7, 2014

Marko Novak , Jan 7, 2014 :
    'nuff said ;) Now that we know which OS will 1+ use I think this hardware is more than welcome!

Jossh and Andrew Z like this.