• 4G LTE/LTE-A (global spectrums)
    • micro-usb 3.0 port
    • metal (preferably aluminum or magnesium alloy) case
    • gorilla glass
    • quality software/ CM, sailfish, Ubuntu

2. Juan G?
    Eclair Jan 7, 2014

Juan G? , Jan 7, 2014 :
    What about the price range. Most users, myself included, are also concerned about the cost of their devices. Does the amazing experience comes at a hefty price?

Jossh and Kraiye like this.
  3. Amplifier
    Cupcake Jan 7, 2014

Amplifier , Jan 7, 2014 :
    This might sound strange, but I suggest that the new smartphone gets an integrated bottle opener in its bottom. If you're at a party and take some beer with your friends, that would be a nice gadget.

Kraiye, Mingyu and Juan G? like this.
  4. hazard209
    Eclair Jan 7, 2014

5. Andrew Z
    Honeycomb Jan 7, 2014

Andrew Z , Jan 7, 2014 :
    Good luck with in your highly ambitious project!

Please make the phone available worldwide! Don't restrict it as Google does with Nexus devices, the solution like oppostyle.com is the best, no retail stores, but ability to send it by post to vast majority of countries.

What would I call a non-compromise phone:

• Pleeeaaase focus on battery life! It is the most important factor. 3000mAh+ would be highly appreciated. I would rather want not so slim phone with good battery life than vice-versa (Motorolla MAX is good example)
    • Make the phone affordable! Price somewhere between Nexus lineup pricing and Galaxy S pricing should be a sweet spot
    • Really good camera (13 megapixels or more, huge sensor (1/2.3"), OIS, high quality lens)
    • External SD card and removable battery is a must. (Corporate world does not like it, as it is not profitable, so all hope is on you)
    • No need for huge amount of new software features, CM is great as it is. Don't be a Samsung, 1-2 new features that work perfectly are much better than 10 that are executed in a sloppy way.
    • No need for new hardware features (as camera and touch area on the back in Oppo N1). What we really need is greatly executed hardware- try to do less, but do perfectly the things you are doing.
    • The latest and greatest SoC is really not a necessity. Better to find hardware with good price/performance ratio. Moto X has shown us that phone can be fast and responsive with past generation SoC if hardware and software are optimized.
    • Do not put design above ergonomics. Firstly the phone must feel comfortable in the hand, and only then it must look good.
    • Loud front facing speakers (like HTC One)
    • Base version with 32GB storage
    • AMOLED screen, as it has much better colour reproduction compared to IPS.
    • Good one hand usability (Screen size from 4.7 to 5 inches)
    • Please do NOT use metal body. It is impractical (scratches, overheats, not as drop resistant) and expensive at the same time. Some sort of soft/mat plastic will make phone more practical for everyday usage and will cut down the costs
    • Screen quality is a big thing, but resolution is not. I would be fine with 720p display if it will increase battery life and decrease price.
    • If it is not very expensive to incorporate XENON flash, it really is a great bonus
    • Hardware camera button
    • Unlocked bootloader
    • IR blaster is not really needed, exclude it to decrease costs

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014

MunkinDrunky and Mingyu like this.
  6. Allanitomwesh
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 8, 2014

Allanitomwesh , Jan 8, 2014 :
    Well,I think we can all agree everyone is tired of "settling" for mediocre battery backup.

7. Anaron
    Gingerbread Jan 8, 2014

Anaron , Jan 8, 2014 :
    I don't think AMOLED technology is ready yet. The issues with screen burn in, colour reproduction, and brightness (compared to LCD) are too big to ignore. I think IPS LCD is good enough for now. A microSD card slot is a must and 16/32/64GB options for internal storage would be nice.

As for battery and screen size, I think 3,000 mAh and 5.0" is good.

Mingyu likes this.
  8. relic242
    KitKat Jan 8, 2014

relic242 , Jan 8, 2014 :
    size 4,7-5" /FHD display, ultra thin border/
    - battery 3000mAh+
    - latest qualcomm/nvidia proc. (snapdragon 805+, nvidia tegra 4+, or 64bit proc...)
    - camera 13mpx+, personally - 3D capability 2x13mpx, fullhd 3D video recording (or 720p), slowmotion recording (120 frames/sec or better - 240...), 2-5mpx front camera
    - stereo speakers at sides /dolby,surround, dirac... or something/
    - no hardware home button
    - 4G, LTE worldwide (maybe more variants depend on local. specs)
    - wireless charging supp.
    - premium body /pls no plastic cover/
    accesor.
    - HDMI adapter to mirror/share display to any TV
    - flip cover /maybe modular - as stand, tripod.../
    - microSD slot, 3GB RAM+, 16/32/64/128 GB variants

Mingyu likes this.
  9. Sudeep Baral
    Froyo Jan 9, 2014

Sudeep Baral , Jan 9, 2014 :
    - IPS display beacuse AMOLED screens are difficult to see in the direct sunlight. And nowadays we do much of our reading on the phone. IPS displays are better for reading too. But if AMOLED screens are used then Active Display feature should be included.

- No internal card slot. And internal memory options of 32GB and 64GB

- 1080p display. 4.7 - 5 inch screen is the ideal screen size for smartphone in my opinion. I would still prefer 4.7 inch screen as it makes one handed use more convienient. But if you are going for screen size of more than 5 inch then please include stylus support like in the galaxy notes.
    Minimum bezels all around the screen.

- 13 mp OIS F/2.0 lens back camera with Xenon flash and 3-5 mp front camera. Very fast shutter speed and HDR. Custom camera app, AOSP camera app sucks.

- Great loud stereo speakers. Either on the front like HTC One or on the bottom like Nexus 5

- Quality microphones which offer better call quality and loud enough with active noise cancelling.

- Sapphire crystal screen which is nearly unscratchable or Gorilla glass 3.

- Silicon-anode battery that Ubuntu wanted to use in their future smartphone if possible. Otherwise a big battery of 3500 MaH or more, enough to last a day or two. Non-Removable batteries.

- Wireless Charging

- IR blaster and custom remote software included on the phone.

- Camera button and ceramic buttons in the phone

- Unlocked bootloader

- Premium build quality with Aluminium body. Please make a rugged phone that doesn't require a case.

- Low weight phone with a slim body.

- Stock android software with some added features. No added bloatware or custom skins.

- Dual-band Wifi a/b/g/n/ac , NFC, DLNA, Bluetooth 4.0 and other sensors. MHL/ micro HDMI

- USB - Mico-USB, USB On-the-go, USB Host

- Nice clean look in the front of the phone. Like nexus devices, no branding or anything.

- No software buttons. Pretty much like Nexus phones.

- APQ8084 (Snapdragon 805), which has better memory management and a much improved GPU. At least 2GB RAM

- Constant updates and fast updates to latest android software versions (Not like Oppo who provide weekly firmware updates but devices still stuck at 4.2.2).

- Try working with the developer of franco kernel. He can do wonders on the performance and battery life of a device.

- FM Radio. Don't know why most phones neglect this.

- Dust and water resistant (IP5X/IP6X)

Mingyu likes this.
  10. Jaytronics
    Cupcake Jan 9, 2014

Jaytronics , Jan 9, 2014 :
    The non compromising phone would be

Screen size: 4.7"-5"

Screen Resolution: 720p-1080p

Also able to is a stylus like the Galaxy Note line of phone's. I love to draw. But it is so hard with a normal stylus.

RAM: 3-4 Gigs

Make this upgradable.

Ports: Micro USB3.0, Dual mSD slot? I am a massive data hog
    Raid on dual mSD slots for redundant backing up. Lol!

USB on the go, Host

On board memory: Base of 32Gigs upgradable to the sky is the limit.

Make this upgradable.

Bluetooth 4.0

Camera: Front and Rear 20MP

Hardware buttons: Power, Volume and dual stage camera. No software buttons. That is what modified is for.

Battery: Removable!!!!!!!! If there are people that don't want a removable battery. Then they don't have to touch the one that is capable of being removed. I am a massive power user. I go through two batteries a day on my galaxy S4.

Bootloader: Unlocked

Speakers: People are saying to make the speakers fire through the front like the HTC one. I say do it better. Make them fire from inside down through tiny ducts that allow the sound to come out the front and back in stereo. That way if one is listening to music. They could place their phone down on the front or back and get clear sound.

Dual-band Wifi a/b/g/n/ac , NFC, DLNA, MHL/micro HDMI

Make the phone fully upgradable. Like Like a PC. Allow custom body options as well. Mat color plastic body/frame. Or the option to upgrade them to magnesium or aluminum if one desires down the line. Maybe offer the body/frame specs to those that can do 3D printing. That way we could literally have have a customized phone that we can truly call or own.

Processor: Truthfully I don't know. I guess something that will allow more than 2Gigs of RAM and something that is good at optimizing the RAM.

One last thing. I know this could be the toughest part. But I I am a Verizon customer. I have unlimited data. And will be keeping it. Somehow please figure out a way to get the idiots at VZW to allow your devices on their network. I know it is the CDMA spectrum that is the problem. Their 4G LTE Block C has no choice but to allow any device on it.

One more thing. You want to have me be bea beta tester for the new phone. Why? Because I just might be the only person here that wears an eye patch. LOL!

11. mikey
    Gingerbread Jan 9, 2014

mikey , Jan 9, 2014 :
    I would suggest loosely basing the hardware on the best available at time of launch and separating it with something better. Android users are atypically a hardware loving bunch. if the phone was released today I would expect the following

• Fast processor/Qualcomm 800 or if using MediaTek, their 2ghz clocked octa core processor/whatever is best at time - maybe 64bit :)
    • a good dual band wifi with ac suport, NFC etc
    • LTE with support for as many bands and frequencies as possible (hands down to Sony Z1 providing this and the upcoming MediaTek LTE chip looks promising)
    • 13 megapixel camera with OIS and FHD
    • 5 inch FHD or 2k IPS panel (larger screen may hamper widespread appeal)
    • Micro SD slot (still not sold on Google cloud is best for storage rubbish)
    • 2gb RAM plus
    • 32 GB internal memory at least (16 at a compromise if there is a micro sd card slot)
    • An unlocked boot-loader and root (though this may cause warranty headache in a corporate perspective so root may well be inadvisable out of the box).
    • Bluetooth 4.0
    • wireless charging
    • IR blaster
    • sick and tired of bad speakers, make this loud to hear and stereo, my old Nokia N80 from yesteryear never ceased to amaze me with its loud speaker, even louder than HTC One- rememebr?
    I work in mobile phone marketing so would be pleased to test any beta or pre release device and sign any relevant NDA. let me know by private message

-

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

Mingyu likes this.
  12. Mingyu
    Security Team Staff Member Jan 9, 2014

Mingyu , Jan 9, 2014 :
    Eye-patch-wearing and regular beta testers are encouraged to sign up here: http://oneplus.net/ :D

Chinda likes this.
  13. mikey
    Gingerbread Jan 9, 2014

mikey , Jan 9, 2014 :
    you mean the standard newsletter signup or is there a dedicated beta user one?

14. Mingyu
    Security Team Staff Member Jan 9, 2014

Mingyu , Jan 9, 2014 :
    We can't disclose much yet, but if you sign up for our newsletter, we will send updates as they become available.

mydragoon, muddy46, maccos and 2 others like this.
  15. Jaytronics
    Cupcake Jan 9, 2014

Jaytronics , Jan 9, 2014 :
    Already signed up for that. Even before making an account here. I saw the story of One+ teaming up with Cyanogen on Engadget last night. I was ecstatic about the news. With exception to the fact that I am a Verizon customer. And I am under the impression that it is hard for manufacturers to just have CDMA radios installed in their hardware.
    Being that I I'm on an unlimited data plan and get excellent coverage. I don't particularly plan on switching carrier's any time soon. Unless they pull the data plan's that my wife and I have on our phone's out from under our feet.

16. S.V.D.
    Cupcake Jan 9, 2014

S.V.D. , Jan 9, 2014 :
    Was dreaming about such project since HTC HD2 became too old to use it.
    So, I can suggest
    1. Amoled. Because I found it more power-effective(Android is mostly black-colored).
    2. SD card slot. It makes migrating between old and new phone really easy and painless.
    3. Wireless charging. Because I'm really tired repairing microusb slot. And it's cool and progressive technology)).
    4. 5 inches screen size. Because it's best compromise between phone and phablet. Maximal comfortable size of screen is distance between the tip of thumb and base of little finger. And I believe it,s not less 5 inches for most people on this planet.
    5. Phone should not be too thin. It's not comfortable to grip too thin phone. I think, 10-12 mm will be nice.
    6. No exynos. It burns my hands)). I think, CPU should better be not really powerfull, but with good heat dissipstion system. Finally it will mean no throttling and as result - stable work on high frequencies.
    7. 2 Gb ram will be nice. 3 will be enough fir everything))

Mingyu likes this.
  17. lankanmon
    Cupcake Jan 9, 2014

lankanmon , Jan 9, 2014 :
    Regardless of what anyone says... expandable memory is very important to me. I would also like to see a removable battery. Regardless of build quality, a replacable batter greatly increases the the device lifetime and reduces electronic waste.

Jossh likes this.
  18. Andrew Z
    Honeycomb Jan 9, 2014

Andrew Z , Jan 9, 2014 :
    From the times I had SonyEricsson K800, I dream of smartphone with XENON flash.

As I understand the main reason why manufacturers are not providing XENON is the large size of capacitors. In the beginning of last year I stumbled upon an interesting article, where it was written about a possible solution ( http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/flow/item/16893_Slimmer_Xenon_flashes_to_hit_s.php)

The corporation behind the product "Xenon Technologies" wrote that working prototype should have been finished by Q3 2013. So it might be a good idea for you guys to contact them and ask to test their prototype.

Keep on your great work and then we all surely will have a perfect phone!

19. cjs
    Cupcake Jan 10, 2014

cjs , Jan 10, 2014 :
    I generally agree with above poster 'Mad'. Well said !!

20. Andrew Z
    Honeycomb Jan 10, 2014

Andrew Z , Jan 10, 2014 :
    On the point of what is available in the box:
    1). 'Mad' has made a great point, that if phone has a removable battery then inclusion of 2 batteries in the box is a very good idea. LG is already doing so for some phones and heavy users would really appreciate that.
    2). I believe that inclusion of headphones in the box is a waste of money. It is too expensive to include real quality headphones and in case of mediocre headphones, people would just not use them. Also headphones are a very personal choice, so it better to let people just buy the ones they like and not bundle it inside.
    3). 2 batteries, wall charger and USB cable is more than enough. No need to include anything else and increase the costs.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014

fanefane, Jossh, Stu and 1 other person like this.