A warm welcome to OnePlus Family ... but with a 5G problem

1. Ondží
    Donut Jan 13, 2021

Ondží , Jan 13, 2021 :
    Dear OnePlus users, Dear OnePlus

It’s been about a month since I bought a OnePlus 8 and I just wanted to say hello to all of you. It’s my first OP phone and I have to say, it’s awesome. I just love it. I love the design so much, I have the Glacial Green color … beautiful, just beautiful and with the curved edges (I’m a fan of those) … that’s a look of a perfect phone to me. Well and because people say don’t judge the book by its cover, I also have to say I really love the insides. Hardware and software. That phone is so fast and smoot, magnificent, and the clean and simplicity of Oxygen OS, my god. Its just a bleeding edge phone and that’s so awesome, good job. I love the display with 90 Hz, I love the fast charging and battery that can last much longer than my old phone. I love the big RAM that can handle so much Chrome tabs, the top tier Snapdragon that can easily launch any game. The phone is almost without a flaw … almost.

But do you know what people also say … all that glitters, is not gold. Well and after this almost a month of use I discovered a flaw, that kinda … grinds my gears. I’m form an EU country and when I was looking for a new phone, I was looking with a need of certain specification, you guess it, 5G. Its only starting here in EU countries, I know, but, when you want to buy a phone to last you like 4 years, you want it to be ready for the 5G future. And when you buy a $800 phone marked as 5G phone, you want it to work.

But the 5G on my OP8, nowhere to be found. So I looked here, in the forum and guess what, I’m not the only one. There is a lot of people that have the same problem and there is no official answer to why it is like this and when it will be fixed (if it is, be free to point me the right direction :D).

And as much as I love the phone, this really spoils the first impression to be honest. And so I said to myself (what a wonderful world), “well no pain no gain, I will try to write about this” … so here we are.

And I know its not the only problem, there is for example the Series 7 with the Android 11 problem … but … you at least make some little statement about it. Here, so far, I have found nothing.

While I was searching the forums, I discovered there is a funny easter egg of yours, the one in the calculator. You type 1+= and OnePlus slogan pops out. “Never Settle” … A nice choice of words I really like it. But I have a question for you OnePlus, regarding this “5G problem” … Did you settle? Did you settle with it and just ignore the problem?

And I know that the 5G is not easy, yeah but, the phone is out for almost a year, and there are places where it works. So if it´s not hard to make it work somewhere and you have quite a lot of time, why not make it work everywhere? And I found a thread here regarding this problem that can help you with it, but by installing some drivers and by changing some code … I don’t like to dig into my device like this and possibly ruin it. But if a community can do it and somehow make it work on its own, why can’t you make it officially? In some OTA update just make the 5G work everywhere and for everyone.

And if you have time to make things like the watch or the band (which I love don’t get me wrong that’s someting im looking forward to), or to announce the OP9 month earlier as are the rumors, why don’t you have time to make your other device work as it should.

I will kinda look like a hypocrite now, but I will settle OnePlus, I will settle with some sort of announcement about the 5G issue on the OP8 series. A statement that you are working on it, that we don’t have to worry, maybe some timestamps in which month you will bring the 5G to certain countries or to everyone. That would be really great.

And please don’t get me wrong. I’m not a hater. I love the OP8, it’s a magnificent phone and even OnePlus as a company looks so nice, with all this community sharing and events, surveys, beta build etc. I really just love that. But as I said, the 5G problem really spoils the first impression.

I’m just little bit sad about it because I was excited to try it … So I said to myself if I complain a little, maybe I will get some answers and have a more stable ground underfoot. And I know that the complaint is not that legitimized because there is not a lot of 5G yet … but you know how I mean it right? And once again, I am not hating, the phone is great and OnePlus looks like an awesome company.

And despite that this will probably have little to zero impact on anything, i think its worth a try :D.

So again, hello OnePlus users, OnePlus, OnePlus family. I’m really looking forward to be one of you, to all the nice things that will come from the OnePlus workshop.

Keep up the good work OnePlus and please

Never Settle

mijzelf, kees.overvliet and Majd992 like this.
  2. McJader
    Lollipop Jan 13, 2021

McJader , Jan 13, 2021 :
    Hello there
    One tip: don't post very long threads as people are less likely to read them and help you. Keep the thread short and to the point
    Regarding your problem,does your career support 5G? And the career must have whitelisted your device for you to use it.

Ondží likes this.
  3. samikojo
    Froyo Jan 14, 2021

samikojo , via OnePlus 8 , Jan 14, 2021 :
    In my experience 5G works great with OP8. I've been using it for three months now without problems. For 5G to work it's not enough for your phone to support it. You have to have coverage and your plan has to have 5G enabled as well. I'm paying my carrier about 10€ more per month to get 5G enabled compared to just having 4G.

Ondží likes this.
  4. Majd992
    Eclair Jan 15, 2021

Majd992 , via OnePlus 8T , Jan 15, 2021 :
    I have the 8T and yes I have the same problem regarding 5g , I just don't understand why haven't they mentioned that they have problems with certain carriers in certain countries and 5g will not work properly with some users. marketing a device as a 5g ready when you have problems with lots of carriers is false advertisment and fraudulent . It's very annoying to have a 5G phone and you can't use 5g on it and what does make me angrier is their responses to the issue , they just say sorry and wait with no ETA to the problem to be solved .they have no respect to their customers at all , they are just a punch of liers , I contacted their official store here in Dubai before purchasing and they confirmed to me that the 5g will work perfectly on the phone in Dubai and when I bought the phone and turned it on .... Surprise ,there is no 5g option no Volte no Vowifi. Don't know what to say more than that . But lesson learned . Will never deal again with a chinese company
    I should have purchased a real 5g phone instead of this junk so called 5g phone.

Ondží likes this.
  5. Ondží
    Donut Jan 15, 2021

Ondží , Jan 15, 2021 :
    Hi, yeah you are right about the lenght, but i like a dramatic enterance :D and i thought that it could get some more attention that way more than a simple "help no 5G" thread. But yeah i should have attached some TL;DR at the beginning. :D
    But to the problem. My career does support 5G, not sure about the white list, but the provider states that the 5G option must be "unlocked" by an update and have a right configuration, so i think there isnt any whitelist. And also, i dont even have an option to turn on the 5G. My phone has only the "2g/3g/4g" option, so its not like i can even try if i will connect. I cant turn it on. So by my opinion i think that there is a lack software support.

Yeah i know, i have that covered, but still nothing. And im even in the 5G zone. But still, i cant even turn the 5G on.

Also on the OP8 specs page, there is stated that the only 5G brand that is currently supported by the software is the n78. That support is right out of the box. Other frequencies that the OP8 and OP8+ support by hardware, n1, n3, n7 and n28 are said to be "supported later through upgrades". So is there a posibility that that update never came? Because my provider is spreading the n1 and n3 brand and i cant connect. I think i will ask this question also in separed post and maybe get some tech response :D

6. thechangingtime
    Gingerbread Jan 15, 2021

thechangingtime , Jan 15, 2021 :
    If you were planning on buying a phone to last you for the next 4 years, I would not have suggested you buy a 5G phone yet and wait for at least another year as full ratification of the different parts of 5G is not complete. As follows is some of the details about the latest ITU meeting about 5G - the international standards body that sets the 5G standard:

IMT 2020.SPECS approved by ITU-R but may not meet 5G performance requirements; no 5G frequencies (revision of M.1036); 5G non-radio aspects not included

ITU-R Approves IMT 2020.SPECS:

At it’s November 23rd meeting, ITU-R SG 5 approved WP5D’s draft recommendation IMT 2020.SPECS which is the first official 5G RAN standard. The document contains the description and implementation details for three new technologies that conform with the International Mobile Telecommunications 2020 (IMT-2020) vision, but this author (and others) do not believe they meet the ITU M.2410 Performance Requirements for the URLLC (ultra reliable, ultra low latency communications) 5G use case. That is because 3GPP’s 5G NR enhancements for URLLC in the RAN had not been completed or performance tested when 3GPP Release 16 was frozen in early July 2020 (see detailed description below) and is therefore NOT included in the IMT 2020.SPECS detailed implementation for 5G NR.

The three Radio Interface (RIT)/Set of Radio Interface (SRIT) Technologies are: 3GPP 5G-SRIT and3GPP 5G-RIT submitted by 3GPP (contains both Release 15 and 16 functionality), and 5Gi submitted by Telecommunications Standards Development Society India (TSDSI). The 3GPP submissions include support by China and South Korea, which had submitted their own RIT’s that were determined to be “technically identical” with 3GPP’s 5G NR submission so they were effectively combined into one RIT.

TSDSI’s RIT is based on the 3GPP 5G NR RIT with additional functionality to support “Low Mobility Large Cell” (LMLC). The TSDSI-RIT incorporates India specific technology enhancements that can enable longer coverage for meeting the LMLC requirements. The TSDSI-RIT, which is mainly to address the LMLC requirements, exploits a new transmit waveform that increases cell range developed by research institutions in India (IIT Hyderabad, CEWiT and IIT Madras) and supported by several Indian companies. It enables low cost rural coverage. It has additional features which enable higher spectrum efficiency and improved latency. TSDSI-RIT is a key enabler for 5G based rural broadband usage scenario in India and similarly placed geographies.

Ondží likes this.
  7. Ondží
    Donut Jan 15, 2021

Ondží , Jan 15, 2021 :
    Yeah you have a point. The current 5G phones cant stand the technological development of the 5G network. Im fully aware this situation that we are practically using a first gen of 5G phones and that there will be lot of changes.
    But, the point is that if you mark your phone as 5G, ship it globally as 5G, it should globally work in the current 5G network. And we are talking about a year old phone so there have been a time to adjust it to the current situation. Of course if i wanted to by a new phone only for the 5G i would wait, but i was just in need of a new phone and when i looked for a it i wanted to be at least somehow prepared to the future and even was able to use the 5G in the little areas that supports it in my country.
    The point about 4 years of usage was mostly because most people nowdays look for the 5G when buying the new phone, because they buy it for a long term use and the 5G is definitely something that will come in that time, so they want to be prepared. And its really a shame when you discovered that it acually dont work.
    Dont get me wrong that OP8 is a magnificent phone, but ... you know ... this 5G thing kinda spoils the fun.