A World of Color Within One Display via OnePlus 8 Pro

1. Pete
    CEO Staff Member Jun 17, 2020

Pete , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 17, 2020 :
    Forum post deep dive image without logo.png

Hi friends,

More than three years ago, when we decided to make a smart TV, we wanted very simply to create a product that embodied OnePlus’ "Never Settle" spirit. It should be smart. It should be able to link seamlessly with a smartphone and other devices at home. But most of all, it should simply be an exceptional TV.

An outstanding smart TV should have a clean, refined design, sound quality that you can all but feel, a more powerful OS, and above all, first-rate picture quality.

To do that, last September we launched the Q1 series, equipping it with a high color gamut QLED panel screen and a dedicated picture processor. We also worked with picture quality experts from the TV industry to further enhance the display performance.

As you might know, on July 2 we are complementing the Q1 series with two exciting new series of OnePlus TV, aimed at the mid-segment and the entry-level segment.

With these two series, we have given picture quality the pride of place it deserves, and today we are sharing with you a glimpse into the work that went into achieving the premium picture quality.

Why Does DCI-P3 Matter?
    Display quality can be measured in any number of ways. But for us, there is one thing that is especially important, and that is color.

When asked about what makes for good picture quality, a lot of people's first answer is that a display must be "vivid," and that depends on the color performance.

Color performance can be described in terms of the color gamut. The widerthe color gamut, the richer the color. Color gamut can be based on different standards, and two of the most commonly seen in TVs are Rec. 709 and DCI-P3.

Most of the TV programs we see on a daily basis use Rec. 709, and after years of development, most TVs in the market can manage 100% of the Rec 709 color gamut.

But in the era of HDR video, the broader DCI-P3 standard has become the choice of more content creators for its fuller color. Now basically all HDR content is mastered using DCI-P3 within Rec. 2020 container.

Compared to Rec. 709, DCI-P3's range is 26% larger, and it is especially richer in the red and green ranges. So if you want the best color experience on a TV, and get the full effect of HDR video, then you need a TV with exceptional DCI-P3 performance.

OnePlus Cinematic Display
    Unlike with Rec. 709 though, getting 100% coverage with DCI-P3 is extremely difficult, so anything over 90% coverage is already quite good.

This time, for both of our two new OnePlus TV series, we areusing panels that leverage particular materials to achieve an outstanding 93% DCI-P3 color gamut coverage (CIE 1976 u' v').

Yes, even for our entry-level series. We gave it the same OnePlus Cinematic Display we gave to the mid-segment series of OnePlus TVs. The same 93% DCI-P3 color gamut, something many high-end TVs cannot achieve.

We call it the OnePlus Cinematic Display: the display that gives you truly cinematic experience right at home.

Gamma Engine and Dolby Vision
    On top of OnePlus Cinematic Display, on our mid-segment model, we continue to push the boundary for even greater picture quality.

We developed a suite of technologies to enhance picture quality, which we call the Gamma Engine.

Gamma Engine includes a range of processing enhancements, such as super resolution, dynamic contrast, MEMC, color space mapping, anti-aliasing, and noise reduction.

With Gamma Engine's help, videos are sharper, cleaner, more fluid. Even with a video that might otherwise be of low resolution, you'll still see superior picture quality. With Gamma Engine, we bring out the best of the OnePlus Cinematic Display.

On top of that, like with last year's OnePlus TV Q1 series, we again worked with Dolby Labs to further upgrade the picturequality, so naturally it comes with Dolby Vision certification.

These are just some of the efforts we put into the new OnePlus TV series. There is a lot more to see, more standards to be raised, more expectations to be exceeded. And we will be sharing all of it with you on July 2.

2. Tobikage
    Nougat Jun 17, 2020

3. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Jun 17, 2020

MrKulkarni, Artemus., Venky61 and 3 others like this.
  4. Batman360
    Lollipop Jun 17, 2020

Batman360 , Jun 17, 2020 :
    Mannn I am so excited for the price.😍🔥 Hop on the hype train everyone 😉

mk92, Overzee, zahadi Hassan and 4 others like this.
  5. script
    Nougat Moderator Jun 17, 2020

script , Jun 17, 2020 :
    That sounds really good. I'm literally looking forward to see that.

All the best,

Script

6. Starcommander
    Lollipop Jun 17, 2020

Starcommander , Jun 17, 2020 :
    All the best.
    OnePlus TV Q1 and Q1 pro owner's must be crying in the corner if specs of this TV is comparable to those :p

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020

chPartha, mk92, Dineshmxd and 6 others like this.
  7. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Jun 17, 2020

camohan , Jun 17, 2020 :
    My bedroom wall is empty and was waiting for the first version of the TV. Could not buy it due to big size and bigger prices.

Hopefully I can get this new OnePlus Tv which can fit my pocket and my wall.

8. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2020

9. SeanPlus
    Honeycomb Jun 17, 2020

SeanPlus , Jun 17, 2020 :
    Looking forward to hearing more. I considered getting the OnePlus TV Q1 and was very disappointed it didn't reach the UK.

I must add, I'm a little disconcerted by this "entry-level" business. What's with the apparent mindset that smaller means "budget" - some people only need a small TV. Assuming the rumours of a 32-inch and 43-inch TV are true, why can't they be equally awesome and feature-packed?

Hopefully Pete & Co will explain on 2nd July why their smallest TV doesn't have either the Gamma Engine or Dolby Vision. I hope it's because neither technology would make a noticeable difference on the smaller display, and not because OP is cost cutting.

Never settle! *ahem*

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020

xinhehe, RobToms and being_nabnit like this.
  10. ktk89
    Gingerbread Jun 17, 2020

Laermakas and Pragikan like this.
  11. JustASoftwareEngineer
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 17, 2020

12. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jun 17, 2020

Venky61 , Jun 17, 2020 :
    The wide color gamut even for the entry level TVs is such a welcome change. Really excited to see what more will be offered with these 2 series and what previlege would be really left for the Q1 owners.

I hope the panel would be bright enough to make the Dolby Vision experience enjoyable as these day Dolby is becoming more of marketing gimmick. Fingers crossed.

outk9f2c15j21__01.png

13. Tobikage
    Nougat Jun 17, 2020

Tobikage , Jun 17, 2020 :
    Get your kid some paints and brushes ! :D

14. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Jun 17, 2020

camohan , Jun 17, 2020 :
    He is already doing that all over the furniture and walls. That's the only wall left for the graffiti effect.

15. JustASoftwareEngineer
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 17, 2020

JustASoftwareEngineer , Jun 17, 2020 :
    Teach him to paint a wall properly, than the graffiti effect will be everlasting as he can just repaint it and start fresh.

Tobikage likes this.
  16. Tobikage
    Nougat Jun 17, 2020

Tobikage , Jun 17, 2020 :
    Oh....just wait for all the threads ! ;)

I bet @Venky61 is looking forward to those ! :D

17. Starcommander
    Lollipop Jun 17, 2020

Starcommander , Jun 17, 2020 :
    :p:p
    I can't wait for I feel cheated threads

18. RAAR93
    Cupcake Jun 17, 2020

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  19. RAAR93
    Cupcake Jun 17, 2020

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.